Home

Ian Pockets and DE Play

This is a discussion on Ian Pockets and DE Play within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2008, 03:24 PM   #65
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: Ian Pockets and DE Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWRMETS
Is there a way you could incorporate DL play with the R stick? So that pushing left on R stick pushes off to the left and pushing right on R stck pushes off to the right.
It was in NCAA on the PS2 a few years ago. But when they put defensive playmaker in, they moved all break block animations to the shoulder buttons.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2008, 03:33 PM   #66
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briankingsfan
It's just my modification of the Fifa skill moves. I have never seen a game so fully use the RS in a fun intuitive way. But I have my own way that those moves could be adapted to make both sides really fun and challenging to play. But I'm trying to contain myself, and not hog the boards.......

Hog the board man, now is the time. let the suggestion fly, especialy if they are as good as that one
Old 06-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #67
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeDogg
Hog the board man, now is the time. let the suggestion fly, especialy if they are as good as that one
Naw, I'm gonna take my ball and go home because everyone let my last thread slip to the 3rd page and called it "close encounters stuff". J/K!!!! I'll try to figure out a visual way or either a very detailed post to try to explain some of my ideas, but it'll probably be hard for a person who hasn't played Fifa to grasp. And it'll sound too hard or complicated unless you've played Fifa. I like NHL, but I really think that the new control scheme best suited for Madden gameplay would be a variation of Fifa.

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 06-01-2008, 04:09 PM   #68
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

OK, here's a rough draft that anyone is more than welcome to modify and tweak. I'm gonna stick to DE for now but have already fleshed out an entire set of skill moves for all D postions. And remember my name ain't LBzRule, so I'm not gonna be as good as him, LOL. Here goes.

First you have to have two sets of moves with a LT modifier. Non modified moves on the RS would be down for bull rush, down at 4:00/8:00 for a speed move to out/inside based on which end you were playing,3:00/9:00 for a power move in/out and 12:00 for a jump. LT(modified moves) would consist of a 12/6:00 semi circular move for swims in or out. and vice-versa for rips. Now you could have the Dwight Freeney spins be a 9/3:00 move or vice-versa depending on side. Now I'm sure there are a bunch of other moves, I'm just not that smart about all of the arsenal of moves for a DT or DE. I just normally play that postion on Madden. So please help......

Also I know that means no "hit stick" but I think that the tackles should be based on momentum and either be a high tackle (B) or low (A). And then if you get the timing right with the speed and angle you can get a "hit stick" style tackle. The current way seems too arcady to me with little risk.

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 06-01-2008, 11:13 PM   #69
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

NHL 08 is a great example of using the RS in a powerful way that is simple and complex at the same time. I think any move towards controlling the action with the, two sticks, shoulder buttons, and triggers is the right move. Using the right stick for line play and block shedding in general would be awesome.

I don't know how feasible it would be for the sport but an intuitive stick-centric control scheme for all aspects of play ala EA's NHL series would be awesome.

Last edited by bad_philanthropy; 06-01-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:12 AM   #70
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Also Ian, I think one thing you guys should look into is having Dline moves tagged to specific players. I wouldn't want everyone using Freeney's spin move and speed rush. Not everyone should perform Strahan's Bull Rush. Some guys should have multiple moves, some guys one move, and maybe some guys no pass rush moves - particularly guys that are just run stoppers.
Listen to this man!
Old 06-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #71
Rookie

OVR: 9

The biggest difference i can see in these video's of the Motion Cap and the real video is that the Motion Capture players are "half assing" it. They look like they are trying to emulate D-Line moves but they don't look like they are starving to get to the QB. Like another user said earlier in the thread, they should be violent, all-out, anything to get by that O-Lineman. Instead they are just doing the role, not really caring the outcome. In fact, I think all areas...be it rushers, CBs/WR's, etc..should have more of a mean streak rather than the mechanical, lackadaisical approach they have now.

As far as branching animations for the O-Line, adding this type of realism is the meat of football as everything lives and dies by what these guys do up front. The passing game and running game would greatly benefit from the diversity on the front line.

PS....I freaking lvoe the involvement with the gamer, it's been missing for too long. Keep up the good work guys and don't let us down!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2008, 11:50 AM   #72
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

I think the biggest issue that needs to be addressed in the running game is the assignments.

As Sven Draconian has pointed out, in the Power O play on the website, the tight end, who is supposed to block down, ends up swinging out toward the cornerback.

The play, although successful in the video, would be far MORE successful if that TE DID block down as assigned and sealed the backer or DE, allowing the leading FB or RG to handle the corner.

The weakness of the running game in Madden is this "fluid" AI. It seems to make decisions based on the front it sees, but they're not decisions grounded in a concept for the play. I don't know how practical it would be it set up blocking assignments for odd and even fronts for each running play in the game, but I think it would make a world of difference in Madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »