Home

EA’s NFL license exclusivity in danger

This is a discussion on EA’s NFL license exclusivity in danger within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #73
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: EA’s NFL license exclusivity in danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshanks
shoot i would love a 2k football game but you know what i would love even more.....is an scea football game! i mean look at the fantastic job they did with MLB The Show!
Yes your right , but Im sure many will agree that SCEA baseball game plays a lot like EA's MVP baseball. Imagine where MVP baseball would be if they continued developing the game.

I always felt that the wrong developers got the wrong exclusive deal.
Now im not a fan at all about this whole exclusive nonsense but since it did happen.
It would have been better for us if EA got baseball , and 2K got Football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myownsun
Excellent post and i agree 100%
Thxs Homie, and to other that agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
Dear Anthony Phillips,
2011 is going to even be better then 2010. In fact its going to be the best game in history with everyone giving it perfect 10 ratings, so be sure to pick up both years!

signed,
Ian

Is it really that easy to make a sell with you? You havent even seen the game yet. Im not saying it wont be good, but why would you say a comment like this, off reading somones posts? Besides, more then one football game is a win/ win for everyone in this forum as history has showed.
I agree with this brother. Yes its great that EA has us involved in making Madden, but we are only giving suggestions. We truly don't know how it is going to be executed in the actual gameplay. The only way I can see us being truly excited and confident about a great football coming is if EA when it is the proper time allow some of us to sample a beta, and then post suggestions from the beta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTheorenHobbes
Actually, no it's not dude.

"Until recently, no traditionally structured sports league had ever avoided antitrust liability based on the single-entity defense. Indeed, between the years 1982 and 2006, the NFL clubs had raised the single-entity defense on seven different occasions, with the reviewing court rejecting this defense each time."

http://abovethelaw.com/2009/03/sport...reme_cou_1.php
Thanks for this info. This brings us hope in a possible end to exclusive deals in Video games. Imagine if the Army made a deal with one company to be the only ones that can make a Military game. Sounds stupid , and so does the whole Sports exclusive crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
I want competition to enhance the product quality, but it's funny how ready and willing some of you are to give away your money to 2K Sports without seeing what the competition (Madden, etc) are coming to the table with.

If you're already proclaiming your sale will go to 2K, then you really never wanted competition to begin with. You just wanted a 2K monopoly.
I don't think its about gamers wanting 2K to be a monopoly, just more that Madden has been really bad in the next Gen era, so just the thought of 2k Making a football game brings joy and hope to finally getting a solid football game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBucc
I wouldn't be surprised if EA and Take Two decide they don't want exclusive licenses anymore. They cost a ton of money and I don't think the sales of the games have changed much. Probably went down some.
Excellent post homie. I cant confirm this but I think ever since EA made this exclusive deal their sales have dropped, and they made more money when everyone was allowed in making a NFL game. I believe this deal did more bad for them then good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8204
Ironic that EA may lose its exclusive deal with the NFL right when it seemed like the developers were getting their act together. Do you guys think this is just a coincidence or could there be something more to it? Do you think they knew that the !@#$ might hit the fan and they better start putting together a better game because they may have competition again soon?
Wow this is a great point, and It is possible. We will know for sure if this suit that is in place goes in favor of no Exclusive deal. Then I will believe this was the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
I dont think you guys get it, This lawsuit will not end NFL exclusivity. No judge will rule that the NFL does not have the right to make their own business decisions. One way or another, There will only be one developer for a NFL video game.
I can't agree with your here, and only because every company that has been guilty of running a monopoly was made with their own business decision, so how would this be any different?

Companies will try what ever they can to generate money, and even if it's on the monopoly side of things they will do it, and try anyway they can to find loop holes to say otherwise. Then it just comes down to a company big enough that can fight and dispute it in the courts. Sometimes they win and sometimes they lose, but the truth is we the consumer are being forced to make only 1 decision, and that feels very wrong. We lost our rights. Do your agree?
Old 03-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #74
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL

I can't agree with your here, and only because every company that has been guilty of running a monopoly was made with their own business decision, so how would this be any different?

Companies will try what ever they can to generate money, and even if it's on the monopoly side of things they will do it, and try anyway they can to find loop holes to say otherwise. Then it just comes down to a company big enough that can fight and dispute it in the courts. Sometimes they win and sometimes they lose, but the truth is we the consumer are being forced to make only 1 decision, and that feels very wrong. We lost our rights. Do your agree?
I'll need to disagree here with most of the post. I do agree somewhat with the last part.

You mentioned business are guilty of running a monopoly with their own business decision. In this case, it takes two to tango. Without the NFL , EA doesn't have a license or monopoly.

I'll agree we lost our rights as consumers, but it always isn't about the consumers from the NFL and EA's viewpoint. It's all about this license being profitable for EA and the NFL, don't you agree?

If their is money being made on both sides, it's a happy marriage. If no money is being made, then it's time to reevaluate the marriage.

So, the bottom line question is, if EA makes a good to great Madden this year and the following years, does all this exclusivity talk die down?
Old 03-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #75
MVP

OVR: 13

Just posting to point out that AN's case, while it might set arguably helpful precedent for a case against EA, would not automatically mean that EA's license is violative of antitrust laws as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2009, 11:55 AM   #76
MVP

Danimal's Arena

OVR: 21

You can't have a monopoly on a companies brand / image as that company has the right to let whomever they choose use it. Other companies can make football games, they just can't make NFL games. If no one else could make a football game you would be right, the release of APF actually strengthens the argument that a monopoly does not exist.

Also using Game Politics as a reference is also not exactly using a credible and unbiased source in my opinion. The owner of that site has either a grudge against EA or he knows how to work his headlines for maximum exposure.They always slants their headlines so they appear EA is the ultimate evil doer, case in point the NLFPA case and how it was reported over there.

If you read other reports on the case that aren't on "game" related news sites you will see the NFLPA is the source of the problem and you would have a very hard time finding any evidence that EA knew about the deal prior to it being made.

There is a bigger implication here then gaming and that is a companies right to control who uses their brand / name / logo / IP. I can't imagine someone telling me that I must let X number of 3rd parties use my IP. There is a possibility that this case could hold some merit if a court rules that sports leagues don't have the same rights when it come to their brand as a private company, I seriously doubt that is going to happen but we will see.

In this particular instance however the NFL and NFLPA are the scumbags in my book. their exclusive licenses with DTV, EA and many other companies. How they screw their retired players and that whole mess that just happened with the NFLPA lawsuit should shine a nice light on how crappy the NFL handles it's business practices, but on this site were gamers and most people don't give a rats behind about that.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #77
Banned

OVR: 14

Nothing against EA I just want my variety back
Old 03-07-2009, 01:54 PM   #78
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
So, the bottom line question is, if EA makes a good to great Madden this year and the following years, does all this exclusivity talk die down?
Yes.

Even though I think most consumers who know better would rather have competition because of its definite benefits, I fail to believe that the anger would have continued this long had Madden been a consistently strong product this generation.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 03-07-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #79
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Yes.

Even though I think most consumers who know better would rather have competition because of its definite benefits, I fail to believe that the anger would have continued this long had Madden been a consistently strong product this generation.
Totally agree. Everybody wants a choice, but with the way Madden has been the past couple of years, we NEEDED a choice. If Madden had been amazing since this deal, I really think the license talk would be ALMOST non existent.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 03-07-2009, 02:04 PM   #80
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBA2k8 CHAMP
Nothing against EA I just want my variety back
You are not going to get your variety because a Court cannot tell the NFL they cannot have a exclusive deal with a company. I would be willing to bet that if EA was found guilty they would have to pay a fine and that's it.

Even if the NFL had to re-open the bidding for its game, who do you think would outbid EA? The only other companies that have the Pockets to outbid EA would be Activision and Disney and they don't make sports games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »