Home

Ian, I'd like to rehash the "simulation mode" argument...

This is a discussion on Ian, I'd like to rehash the "simulation mode" argument... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-13-2009, 08:01 PM   #9
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Ian, I'd like to rehash the "simulation mode" argument...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I am not sure what 'argument' there is here. We want the whole game to be a simulation. We don't want to split the game in two because one of the modes is bound to not get enough attention.

The last blog explains this situation pretty well - sliders and skill levels to allow better tweaking instead of having a hard line drawn in the sand. Because if we have two modes, and one is sim, what is the other? Arcade? Madden football isn't 'arcade'. This is EA Sports, not EA Freestyle, or EA Casual.

"It's in the game"!
I have been playing/studying Madden for 10 years.

There is not, nor has there ever been a change in CPU STRATEGY when changing the difficulty setting. It has always been a change in CPU physics. The CPU runs plays at random and cheats on crucial downs to make a play.

You addressed some of this with the animation compression cheating that allowed CPU players to move at superhuman speeds.

The following is a list of common "Madden mode" cheats:

The speed cheat: Well known, needs no introduction.

CPU Robo QB: Also well known. QBs are super accurate regardless of pressure, play called or coverage.

Pulling defenders: My favorite of all cheats. CPU needs a play, everyone is covered, so the CPU takes control of MY DEFENDER and inexplicably makes him run the wrong way so that the CPU quarterback can complete the pass.

Zombie Blockers: When the CPU is getting killed in the run game, all of a sudden my guys forget how to block and let the DT blow up my HB in the backfield.

Quarterback speed: Player controlled running QBs cannot run full speed behind the line of scrimmage. That's just pure fakery. You want to stop Vick and Young, run zone coverage. That's how NFL coaches stop them.

Zero momentum: Another favorite. CPU players have no weight, and can change directions instantly. This makes running the ball nearly impossible at times because the CPU defenders are never faked out.

Touch tackling: If the CPU merely comes within 5 yards of you, your guy is tackled. Have you seen a gread NFL run Ian? Defenders get many hands on the guy, but he does not go down. Along with the speed cheat it gives the CPU the ability to run right at you without having to take a proper tackling angle. Thus runs that should be huge because the defender is out of position end up being short gains or losses.

To date this is a game that does not strategize. At all. Don't believe me? Anyone reading this, chuck it to Randy Moss for 300 yards in the 1st half. I promise you that you will see Randy Moss single covered in the second half. That is a BASIC football 101 adjustment that so far this zillion dollar graphics game cannot make.

I say all of that to ask these two questions:

1) If what you say is true, then WHAT MODE WILL INVOLVE NONE OF THESE CHEATS? Will All Pro be the sim level, or All Madden?

2) Will the CPU use ANY kind of strategy in it's playcalling to increase difficulty instead of just cheating? Will it run screens and draws when I blitz? Will the QB react to pressure in a realistic way? Etc, etc, etc.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:27 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
I am not sure what 'argument' there is here. We want the whole game to be a simulation. We don't want to split the game in two because one of the modes is bound to not get enough attention.

The last blog explains this situation pretty well - sliders and skill levels to allow better tweaking instead of having a hard line drawn in the sand. Because if we have two modes, and one is sim, what is the other? Arcade? Madden football isn't 'arcade'. This is EA Sports, not EA Freestyle, or EA Casual.

"It's in the game"!
This is by far the greatest thing I ever heard keep it up Ian your doing a great job.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:56 AM   #11
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:

"It's in the game"!
Precisely. Thank you for that. That's been one of Madden's biggest problems for years... abandoned features/game modes.

If you guys add a game mode, you should make sure you have the time available in future years to support it. The fact that Superstar has barely been touched as BAP in other games is becoming a primary mode kinda sucks, as I'd probably play that mode more than franchise if I could.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2009, 07:52 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 27

Sliders and settings are the way to go here, so good to hear Ian address that. As long as the sliders work effectively, I think it'll be pretty sweet there. I've never been one for cover-all modes for gameplay because there is always something that winds up being tied to that mode and is 'untweakable'. Last year the celebration squares could only be turned off by selecting Hardcore mode. So you got the ability to get rid of the squares, but you lost other features like Backtrack and you couldn't turn them back on.

I do have minor concerns for the online players finding a sim player. One of the reasons I don't care for playing online is because I constantly run into guys going no-huddle all game and going for it on 4th down all the time. A more amplifed Fatigue model should stop the no-huddle thing, but going for it on 4th all the time is a different deal... I don't know how you'd stop that.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
I have been playing/studying Madden for 10 years.

There is not, nor has there ever been a change in CPU STRATEGY when changing the difficulty setting. It has always been a change in CPU physics. The CPU runs plays at random and cheats on crucial downs to make a play.

You addressed some of this with the animation compression cheating that allowed CPU players to move at superhuman speeds.

The following is a list of common "Madden mode" cheats:

The speed cheat: Well known, needs no introduction.

CPU Robo QB: Also well known. QBs are super accurate regardless of pressure, play called or coverage.

Pulling defenders: My favorite of all cheats. CPU needs a play, everyone is covered, so the CPU takes control of MY DEFENDER and inexplicably makes him run the wrong way so that the CPU quarterback can complete the pass.

Zombie Blockers: When the CPU is getting killed in the run game, all of a sudden my guys forget how to block and let the DT blow up my HB in the backfield.

Quarterback speed: Player controlled running QBs cannot run full speed behind the line of scrimmage. That's just pure fakery. You want to stop Vick and Young, run zone coverage. That's how NFL coaches stop them.

Zero momentum: Another favorite. CPU players have no weight, and can change directions instantly. This makes running the ball nearly impossible at times because the CPU defenders are never faked out.

Touch tackling: If the CPU merely comes within 5 yards of you, your guy is tackled. Have you seen a gread NFL run Ian? Defenders get many hands on the guy, but he does not go down. Along with the speed cheat it gives the CPU the ability to run right at you without having to take a proper tackling angle. Thus runs that should be huge because the defender is out of position end up being short gains or losses.

To date this is a game that does not strategize. At all. Don't believe me? Anyone reading this, chuck it to Randy Moss for 300 yards in the 1st half. I promise you that you will see Randy Moss single covered in the second half. That is a BASIC football 101 adjustment that so far this zillion dollar graphics game cannot make.

I say all of that to ask these two questions:

1) If what you say is true, then WHAT MODE WILL INVOLVE NONE OF THESE CHEATS? Will All Pro be the sim level, or All Madden?

2) Will the CPU use ANY kind of strategy in it's playcalling to increase difficulty instead of just cheating? Will it run screens and draws when I blitz? Will the QB react to pressure in a realistic way? Etc, etc, etc.
I thought we were pretty clear here. Our goal for Madden is to be a sim. We don't want any cheats, period, regardless of skill level. To respond to your specific complaints

Speed Cheat: 100% doesn't exist. No speed ratings are altered through skill levels. Only awareness and play recognition (which is reaction time)
CPU Robo QB: Tuning problem in 09 - not a deliberate 'cheat'. Definitely being addressed in 10.
Pulling defenders: Absolutely doesn't exist. When a player has control the CPU doesn't alter his input whatsoever.
Zombie blockers: Doesn't exist - no logic whatsoever to change blocking AI based on score difference
QB speed: Hasn't existed since Madden 04. On a side note, do you think scrambling QB's haven't been powerful enough in the past? Do you want to make them more powerful? Just wondering on this one...
Zero momentum: Not sure how this is a 'cheat', because the user controlled player has the exact same physics model that the CPU one does. This seems like just your complaint with how the players feel (which I agree with)
Touch tackling: Yep, suction...known (and oft-discussed) tuning problem in 09. Definitely being addressed in 10.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:45 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
...but going for it on 4th all the time is a different deal... I don't know how you'd stop that.
Force a fumbled snap?

Just kidding everyone.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:50 AM   #15
CNFL Commissioner

XtremeDunkz's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Force a fumbled snap?

Just kidding everyone.
Fair Play rules!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2009, 10:55 AM   #16
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Force a fumbled snap?

Just kidding everyone.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »