Home

Option to have CPU kick FG's

This is a discussion on Option to have CPU kick FG's within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-29-2009, 01:49 AM   #1
Rookie

burne's Arena

OVR: 6
Option to have CPU kick FG's

I posted this chunk in another thread as part of the discussion about the button-mashing in the fumble piles, but it was pretty off topic and I'd like to see what people think in general:

I wish there was a way to just have the CPU kick my field goals for me and have the result be decided by the relevant attributes, the clutch level of the situation, etc, so that the kick is made the same percentage of the time it would be in real life. It would be like turning on "Real player FT%" in the 2k series of basketball games.

I see the downside of less user control = you just watching the CPU play. But on the other hand, I think it would be great to drive your team as far as you can and then feel the suspense and drama of watching the kick fly just like all the players on the sideline do in a real NFL game. Driving my team to the 30 in the closing seconds of a game and missing a kick because I mistimed pressing "A" (the old mechanic) would just be frustrating, and knowing that I'm going to make it because the mechanic is so easy (the new mechanic) is just boring. IMO, the drama of watching my kicker kick without my control trumps both of those situations.

I like to make this comparison: In the rest of the gameplay, you're acting as the brain of the players. You don't perform the physical actions but you make the decisions - what player to throw to and when, what move to use on the upcoming defender, etc. When it comes to a field goal, however, there is no decision to be made. It's just a rehearsed skill. Even in a punt, you have to decide whether to go for the sidelines and how close to the endzone you want to aim. The closest thing in FG's is aiming to compensate for wind, but it's rare there's so much wind that simply aiming for the left or right goalpost isn't enough.

This, to me, is why the kicking game always feels like a huge disconnect from the rest of the game. This is why I believe that it's difficult, if not impossible, to make a worthy gameplay mechanic to represent it. If you enjoy it, that's fine. But to me, the difference between flicking a stick and doing nothing is negligible, and I would prefer the tension of having the outcome be decided by chance in a realistic manner.

So, any chance the dev's could throw in another gameplay option?

What do other players think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2009, 01:57 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Option to have CPU kick FG's

I don't mind giving people the option of making it cpu controlled but I want to have control over my kicks and they definitely need to find a new kicking system. Current one is too simple and too easy.

They should find a kicking meter where one of the things you control is the holder. A multi-tap type deal where it's easy to achieve a good hold but not a sure thing (if you get lazy or screw up big you can mess up the hold/snap).
Old 04-29-2009, 02:01 AM   #3
Rookie

I would never use it, but I see no harm in having it as an option.

I personally wish FG kicking would be harder. What about this idea as a potential solution:

Distance - The distance meter depends on the kick power of the kicker. A higher kick power slows the meter down so that you have a better chance at kicking a full powered kick. A lower kick power increases the speed of the power meter so that your chance of getting a full powered kick decreased.

Accuracy - Make the angle and direction of the kick subject to the accuracy of the direction the RS is pushed based on the accuracy rating of the kicker. Accurate kickers will allow for more leeway in the direction the right stick is pushed while inaccurate kickers will require near perfect direction for an accurate kick.

I suppose this is similar to the current system, but I am suggesting that there should be a significantly reduced built in margin for error. Perhaps a slider could be used to adjust this. I believe that in the current Madden the sliders for FG accuracy/distance mostly affect the ratings of the player, not your interaction with the meter. The sliders could be adjusted to fit my model so that the sliders affect the speed and sensitivity to direction of the right stick movement. This would be similar to the way baseball games allow sliders to tune the sensitivity of pitching meters.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:49 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 7

I actually really like this idea. It would a lot of much needed drama to the kick. Like watching your favorite team go for the game winning kick.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:58 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieTheD
I would never use it, but I see no harm in having it as an option.

I personally wish FG kicking would be harder. What about this idea as a potential solution:

Distance - The distance meter depends on the kick power of the kicker. A higher kick power slows the meter down so that you have a better chance at kicking a full powered kick. A lower kick power increases the speed of the power meter so that your chance of getting a full powered kick decreased.

Accuracy - Make the angle and direction of the kick subject to the accuracy of the direction the RS is pushed based on the accuracy rating of the kicker. Accurate kickers will allow for more leeway in the direction the right stick is pushed while inaccurate kickers will require near perfect direction for an accurate kick.

I suppose this is similar to the current system, but I am suggesting that there should be a significantly reduced built in margin for error. Perhaps a slider could be used to adjust this. I believe that in the current Madden the sliders for FG accuracy/distance mostly affect the ratings of the player, not your interaction with the meter. The sliders could be adjusted to fit my model so that the sliders affect the speed and sensitivity to direction of the right stick movement. This would be similar to the way baseball games allow sliders to tune the sensitivity of pitching meters.
Great idea! I hope the Dev team will see this.

BTw new to this forum, hi!.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2009, 03:02 AM   #6
Pro

Jump's Arena

OVR: 12

I would like the option.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:06 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaelB
Great idea! I hope the Dev team will see this.

BTw new to this forum, hi!.
Welcome to OS!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by burne
I wish there was a way to just have the CPU kick my field goals for me and have the result be decided by the relevant attributes, the clutch level of the situation, etc, so that the kick is made the same percentage of the time it would be in real life. It would be like turning on "Real player FT%" in the 2k series of basketball games.
Love the idea, bro. I would also actually make it matter how good your kicker is. As it stands now, you can take pretty much any kicker available and turn him into the next Morten Anderson.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »