Home

Option to have CPU kick FG's

This is a discussion on Option to have CPU kick FG's within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2009, 01:17 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 26
Re: Option to have CPU kick FG's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom-XIII
Chicken or the egg? Did they rush for 1000+ yards because they had the talent, or did they have the talent because they rushed for 1000+ yards...

I hate chicken or egg scenarios.

But in all reality, I don't mind letting the CPU kick, as long as they are smarter than CPU punters...nothing would make me more irrate than missing a chip shot because the player has a low accuracy...ANY kicker in the NFL makes a chip shot (with the exception of Scott Norwood...and maybe Vanderjagt)
Next time someone brings up the convo about progression again, I plan to use what you just posted lol

The AI would need to be tweaked and I hope they did this already. Otherwise the CPU is still going to be nasty at kicking
Old 04-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #34
Pro

Maelstrom-XIII's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
Next time someone brings up the convo about progression again, I plan to use what you just posted lol

The AI would need to be tweaked and I hope they did this already. Otherwise the CPU is still going to be nasty at kicking
Feel free...I won't even charge royalty fees.

I am against stat based progression...I prefer to use progression more as a "why would a player really improve?" For example, is Matt Ryan going to be better next year because he had a really good season? No, he's going to be better because he has more experience, more playing time, and will have a better handle on how to read pro defenses.

Boo and yah.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:29 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieTheD
I would never use it, but I see no harm in having it as an option.

I personally wish FG kicking would be harder. What about this idea as a potential solution:

Distance - The distance meter depends on the kick power of the kicker. A higher kick power slows the meter down so that you have a better chance at kicking a full powered kick. A lower kick power increases the speed of the power meter so that your chance of getting a full powered kick decreased.

Accuracy - Make the angle and direction of the kick subject to the accuracy of the direction the RS is pushed based on the accuracy rating of the kicker. Accurate kickers will allow for more leeway in the direction the right stick is pushed while inaccurate kickers will require near perfect direction for an accurate kick.

I suppose this is similar to the current system, but I am suggesting that there should be a significantly reduced built in margin for error. Perhaps a slider could be used to adjust this. I believe that in the current Madden the sliders for FG accuracy/distance mostly affect the ratings of the player, not your interaction with the meter. The sliders could be adjusted to fit my model so that the sliders affect the speed and sensitivity to direction of the right stick movement. This would be similar to the way baseball games allow sliders to tune the sensitivity of pitching meters.
The problem with this system is that there is still no randomness so it is a system that can be perfected. Even if it took 10 times as long for me to perfect that would be like 20 kicks seeing as with the current system it took me about 2 tries to have it down. Haven't missed a kick due to accuracy since then, maybe a miss due to not having a strong enough kicker and not knowing his range but none due to inaccuracy.

If I was going to create a user based system that actually going to lead to occasional misses and not be perfectible it would have to have some sort of random factor involved.

I don't mind the way they determine power but the way you mentioned could be okay.

For accuracy I would say that you could have a range of directions which the ball would actually be kicked. This would be centered on the direction of the upswing on the right stick. The size of the random area would be determined by the accuracy. This way even if you perfect the system you wouldn't be able to consistantly hit 50 yard field goals with a kicker who has 60 accuracy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2009, 01:33 PM   #36
Pro

parrothead's Arena

OVR: 9

Maybe like a different sized meter depending on ratings. Great kicker equals nice big slow meter. Not so great kicker equals little bitty super fast meter.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #37
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom-XIII
Chicken or the egg? Did they rush for 1000+ yards because they had the talent, or did they have the talent because they rushed for 1000+ yards...

I hate chicken or egg scenarios.
The thing is this really isn't a chicken/egg argument. You need talent to put up good stats. Right. So now for the other part, how can putting up stats actually lead to gaining talent in a real life situation?
Old 04-30-2009, 01:53 PM   #38

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

They need to do something that penalizes the user for having a kicker with poor ACC.

There should be improbabilities involved. A WR doesn't catch a pass everytime you throw it to him perfectly so why should a kicker be dead on accurate every time you do the meter perfectly?

Another option would be to shrink the size of the "accuracy" portion of the meter on low-rated kickers and widen it for the top kickers.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:56 PM   #39

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead
Maybe like a different sized meter depending on ratings. Great kicker equals nice big slow meter. Not so great kicker equals little bitty super fast meter.
That's a good idea.

Another thing they could do is maybe use camera and controller shake more and maybe do something visually to distort the meter on low-rated kickers.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:56 PM   #40
MVP

Danimal's Arena

OVR: 21

There already is an option for this it's called Head Coach 09.

Being serious for a minute anyone who played HC can tell you that the place kickers had terrible range and missed a lot of FG's. I can't remember how improved it got post patch. My point is the formula to get this done and tuned is something that would take time and throwing it in now would cause a lot of "WTF my kicker is 4-10 from 30-35 yards"

I think it would be a nice option in the future as well as making manual kicking more difficult.

In my mind it is a meter that has a accuracy spot (think show meter pitching) the better your kicker the bigger the accuracy spot. Of course that should be affected by distance, conditions, etc.

You click and hold for the meter for power. Obviously the longer you hold it the more power you put into the kick, but when the meter comes back it comes back faster for the more power you put into the kick.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »