Home

Option to have CPU kick FG's

This is a discussion on Option to have CPU kick FG's within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2009, 01:59 PM   #41
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Option to have CPU kick FG's

Yeah, kicking sucks on this game. It is way way to easy. They need more options.

1. The current system
2. Real fg% like 2k hoops
3. The 2k8 timing fg's will are a nice challenge
4. The old kick meter where you time the meter by tapping the A button twice.

No one will agree on these and this items can't be hard to put in the game. Just give them all to us and let us pick what is best for us personally.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #42
Banned

SBTx's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxboy99
Yeah, kicking sucks on this game. It is way way to easy. They need more options.

1. The current system
2. Real fg% like 2k hoops
3. The 2k8 timing fg's will are a nice challenge
4. The old kick meter where you time the meter by tapping the A button twice.

No one will agree on these and this items can't be hard to put in the game. Just give them all to us and let us pick what is best for us personally.
I agree with #3. I really loved how 2K8 did it, it felt like you were really kicking the field goal with the timing. You were definitely penalized for messing up the timing with a kick that went nowhere!
Old 04-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #43
Banned

OVR: 12

Not a bad idea for an option.

But if the CPU works like it has in the past you would pretty much be guaranteed a good kick.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:38 PM   #44

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stux
Not a bad idea for an option.

But if the CPU works like it has in the past you would pretty much be guaranteed a good kick.
Exactly...Whatever drama that was there to begin with would be lost because then you'd never miss a field goal.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
The problem with this system is that there is still no randomness so it is a system that can be perfected. Even if it took 10 times as long for me to perfect that would be like 20 kicks seeing as with the current system it took me about 2 tries to have it down. Haven't missed a kick due to accuracy since then, maybe a miss due to not having a strong enough kicker and not knowing his range but none due to inaccuracy.

If I was going to create a user based system that actually going to lead to occasional misses and not be perfectible it would have to have some sort of random factor involved.

I don't mind the way they determine power but the way you mentioned could be okay.

For accuracy I would say that you could have a range of directions which the ball would actually be kicked. This would be centered on the direction of the upswing on the right stick. The size of the random area would be determined by the accuracy. This way even if you perfect the system you wouldn't be able to consistantly hit 50 yard field goals with a kicker who has 60 accuracy.
This works for me. I never understood why we aimed the kick pre-snap and then it was still pretty much determined by which way we pushed the right joystick. I think a super sensitivity to the direction the right stick is pushed, a randomness factor and increased impact of wind would solve the problem. To me this seems to simulate real life. You know where on the ball to kick it/where to push the stick, but if you're off by the slightest you miss and even if you hit it spot on your calculations and accommodations for wind, angle, and distance may be off.

I really believe that the main issue with the current kicking system is that there is almost no need to account for angle or height because there is so much margin for error with respect to where you push the stick. If, for example, you can make a kick as long as the stick is pushed within 45 degrees of where it should be, effectively meaning you only have to move it into the right 12.5% of where the stick could actually move it is too easy. (Hell, you are already pushing it up, so you are actually just trying to find the middle 25% of the up direction.) If it was reduced to 18 degrees or even 9 degrees then you'd only have 5% or 2.5% of the total 360 degrees of the right stick to make the kick, ASSUMING you are aiming for the right 5% or 2.5%. That is what I was saying the kick accuracy should adjust, how spot on your stick push is. With a small enough margin of error, I doubt someone could get to the point where they are making 100% of their kicks especially if wind actually matters and the angle of the kick mattered more the further you were away from the goal post.

Even something like a lower-to-the-ground camera angle or something closer to the shoulder of the holder could add some visual trickery which could make kicks more difficult.

(Can you tell that I like kicking my own FGs and XPs? I actually lost a game once on Madden 06 for the PS2, because it was the first time I was going to win a game via kick and the controller vibrations threw me off.)

Last edited by StevieTheD; 04-30-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2009, 02:40 PM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 3

Dumbest idea ever!

Take your three or your extra point and move on. I've seen plenty of times in a game of Madden where a field goal isn't automatic. Hell, I've seen extra point that aren't automatic. Quit being lazy

Sometimes I think people nitpick about the littlest things.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:50 PM   #47
CNFL Commissioner

XtremeDunkz's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3athb4dishonor
Dumbest idea ever!

Take your three or your extra point and move on. I've seen plenty of times in a game of Madden where a field goal isn't automatic. Hell, I've seen extra point that aren't automatic. Quit being lazy

ummm, what?

Twitch

Twitter

NFL Green Bay Packers

NBA Philadelphia 76ers

MLB Philladelphia Phillies

NHL Philadelphia Flyers
Old 04-30-2009, 05:37 PM   #48
Rookie

burne's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3athb4dishonor
Dumbest idea ever!

Yeah, I'm a little bit confused about this post...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »