Home

Why don't formation subs always work?

This is a discussion on Why don't formation subs always work? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2009, 10:00 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Why don't formation subs always work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guggy107
how do you set formation subs? i dont see an option for it under team management.
Look one post above yours
Old 08-31-2009, 10:41 AM   #18
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1champ
i just wish they would go back 2 da old formation sub screen
Pre-huddle, right? Bring that back, please!!!

My first 10-15 huddles are spent adjusting formation subs.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:48 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 4

There should also be a way to "reset" the subs in any formation.

You put in your backup HB in certain formations using formation subs. Then, you sub your starting HB back into that formation.

Then, no matter what, that player stays in that formation until you do a different formation sub.

For example:

I take out Jacobs in I-Twins to run Bradshaw on a toss play. Two plays later, I sub Jacobs back into the formation to run a dive. Later in the game, I have such a big lead, that I put my backups in using the depth chart. However, Jacobs remains the back in the I-Twins formation.

Once you make a formation sub, the depth chart means nothing.

There should be a way to "reset" the formation so it goes off of the depth chart again.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:08 AM   #20
Pro

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlukes
There should also be a way to "reset" the subs in any formation.

You put in your backup HB in certain formations using formation subs. Then, you sub your starting HB back into that formation.

Then, no matter what, that player stays in that formation until you do a different formation sub.

For example:

I take out Jacobs in I-Twins to run Bradshaw on a toss play. Two plays later, I sub Jacobs back into the formation to run a dive. Later in the game, I have such a big lead, that I put my backups in using the depth chart. However, Jacobs remains the back in the I-Twins formation.

Once you make a formation sub, the depth chart means nothing.

There should be a way to "reset" the formation so it goes off of the depth chart again.
I agree I noticed this last night during preseason games when Greg wasn't getting subbed out of some formations for my rookie NTs.

*Actual time may vary.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:02 PM   #21
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

Speaking of subs, is there a way to put the entire second or third string in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2009, 01:10 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 2

I'm several years into my franchise and I use 3 RB's: Clinton Portis, Demarco Murray, and Noel Devine. It can really be frustrating when my formation subs don't work because I usually use Portis for power, Murray for speed, and Devine for speed and pass catching. I hate running up the middle with the assumption that Portis is in the game (as he should be) and have teeny-weeny Noel Devine getting hammered by the Williams Bros. Even worse, I sub in Murray on the goal-line to get to the outside on a pitch, and come to find out the sub didn't work and Portis gets tripped up by an LB at the last possible moment. UGH!
If you continue seeking a Madden game with all of the options it had on XBox, you will be disappointed. If you accept that the next-gen version of Madden is a downgrade in every area except graphics, then you will find a true gaming experience.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:14 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidandjordan
I'm several years into my franchise and I use 3 RB's: Clinton Portis, Demarco Murray, and Noel Devine. It can really be frustrating when my formation subs don't work because I usually use Portis for power, Murray for speed, and Devine for speed and pass catching. I hate running up the middle with the assumption that Portis is in the game (as he should be) and have teeny-weeny Noel Devine getting hammered by the Williams Bros. Even worse, I sub in Murray on the goal-line to get to the outside on a pitch, and come to find out the sub didn't work and Portis gets tripped up by an LB at the last possible moment. UGH!
To me this is the worst part of the substitution system. Other things are inconveniences, but what you just stated is out and out broken and truly affects the ability to play the game.

I also noticed that some of my formation packages don't change anything! I was flipping through them on the formation screen and there were 3 packages that were not any different from the "normal" package. Dual HB swap, Spell HB, and one other (I forget) were identical to the "Normal" package.

I hope EA is paying attention!!
Old 09-01-2009, 12:38 AM   #24
Pro

OVR: 13

This problem also existed in '09. From my experience it only seems to affect a few plays, but it can be really frustrating.

The whole formation subs system is totally wrong anyways. Yes, you should be able to sub within-game, but those substitutions should only last for the game. Permanent substitutions should be done (in Franchise Mode) under coach's strategy. Also, there should certainly be a reset button for formation subs. It makes it ridiculously hard to put in backups during a blowout, especially when you use a lot of formations subs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »