Home

Please bring back the deep pass...

This is a discussion on Please bring back the deep pass... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2009, 10:45 AM   #33
Producer - EA Sports

Bumble14's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: Please bring back the deep pass...

You guys can't be serious saying that the deep ball is too difficult to complete. When I first started playing the game I was having issues throwing deep until I realized the following:

1.) You need to stay in the pocket, step up in it, set your feet, to throw deep. Previous Madden and NCAA games have taught us that you can feverishly scramble with the QB, stop on a dime, and then toss a ball 50 yards to an open receiver on a fly route.

2.) Get a feel for the different pass speeds and when you need to use each. Again, past Madden's and especially NCAA 10 have taught us that you simply tap the receiver button to toss a deep ball. Madden 10 forces you to put more pressure on the button when you see separation. Simply tapping the button softly results in a lofty pass that BD's are able to adjust too because of how long the ball is in the air. Try putting some more "oomph" on a pass when you see separation deep (not a bullet pass), and you will start hitting your receiver in stride/not allow the safety to recover.

3.) Lead your passes. This coincides with staying in the pocket and pass speed- make sure you are leading your receivers properly with the left analog stick.

4.) Don't expect to complete deep passes into coverage. Just as in the real NFL, unless you see man to man, and your man achieving separation, you are not likely to complete a deep pass. Read the safety as soon as you snap the ball, and also don't be afraid to run play action and misdirection plays with the slot receivers to fool the corners and safety's. In my Lion's 'chise I am able to abuse the cpu with Megatron, and have been able to go deep multiple times against my buddies in our online 'chise.

Honestly, once you get the feel of all three tips above you will be able to complete 2-3 deep passes per game with any receiver in the game. I think people just expect to be able to roll everywhere in the pocket and toss bombs downfield like past games, or current NCAA. I am loving the toned down deep game this year, and am enjoying staying in the pocket until the last possible second to hit a receiver deep.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #34
MVP

zeroice's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelboy
The deep pass in this game is almost stylistically perfect.. it's one of the better done things by ian and crew.
If you can't complete a play deep it's because A. you're pushing for it and it's obvious to the defense or B. you dont know to utilize the passing mechanics properly.

Well put. the deep pass is working perectly. look at your qbs rating, run the ball use creens mix it up then htrow the deep pass. it that fails lol then you can always play with the speed settings. make it lower so that the spped eifference will be eveident lol. I dont need to i mess with the actual gameplan lol
Old 09-29-2009, 01:30 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 2

I dont have a problem with the deep ball with safety help over the top, I have an issue with the deep ball when everything sets up perfectly.

The last game I played the CPU blitzed the CB and reggie wayne was running free, the safety was in a deep half zone, what should have been an easy 20yd completion with a big rac turned into me recognizing the blitz late and not getting it in there.

And any time I have a safety creep up for a blitz with single coverage on a wideout I almost always send the singled WR deep. If he's even with him I usually throw a good ball and its usually completed 50% of the time. If my WR, blows past the CB I get excited and usually overshoot the intended target. I try to rocket it in there and I overthrow it. If I lob it up, everyone runs underneath it.

I think for the most part the deep passing game is good. I think it needs to be tuned a bit and I dont think anyone would complain if they took the hail-mary floater pass out completely (or put it in situationally) in order to make it easier to complete that pass. Even when I think "I need a medium pass" my thumb is so stoked that Dallas Clark just ran by that OLB on the flag route I either hold it down too long or not long enough. Sure I could spend hours trying to perfect it but I probably never will.

But I usually see 3-5 big plays ruined by me, and I usually complete 1-2 big passes a game... You know in a way that almost sounds exactly like real life... yeah it does.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #36
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble14
You guys can't be serious saying that the deep ball is too difficult to complete. When I first started playing the game I was having issues throwing deep until I realized the following:

1.) You need to stay in the pocket, step up in it, set your feet, to throw deep. Previous Madden and NCAA games have taught us that you can feverishly scramble with the QB, stop on a dime, and then toss a ball 50 yards to an open receiver on a fly route.

2.) Get a feel for the different pass speeds and when you need to use each. Again, past Madden's and especially NCAA 10 have taught us that you simply tap the receiver button to toss a deep ball. Madden 10 forces you to put more pressure on the button when you see separation. Simply tapping the button softly results in a lofty pass that BD's are able to adjust too because of how long the ball is in the air. Try putting some more "oomph" on a pass when you see separation deep (not a bullet pass), and you will start hitting your receiver in stride/not allow the safety to recover.

3.) Lead your passes. This coincides with staying in the pocket and pass speed- make sure you are leading your receivers properly with the left analog stick.

4.) Don't expect to complete deep passes into coverage. Just as in the real NFL, unless you see man to man, and your man achieving separation, you are not likely to complete a deep pass. Read the safety as soon as you snap the ball, and also don't be afraid to run play action and misdirection plays with the slot receivers to fool the corners and safety's. In my Lion's 'chise I am able to abuse the cpu with Megatron, and have been able to go deep multiple times against my buddies in our online 'chise.

Honestly, once you get the feel of all three tips above you will be able to complete 2-3 deep passes per game with any receiver in the game. I think people just expect to be able to roll everywhere in the pocket and toss bombs downfield like past games, or current NCAA. I am loving the toned down deep game this year, and am enjoying staying in the pocket until the last possible second to hit a receiver deep.
And THIS is exactly how you need to throw the deep ball. Great post man.

Another tip would be to check the Speed Threshold slider. I have mine set at 50 (Slow) and it's working pretty well. If you want more WR/DB/LB separation keep lowering it until you like the results.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #37
MVP

OVR: 55

I'm cool with everything, except that you can line up in bump in a cover 3 and still never get beat over the top from that. I think you should be able to.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 09-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 34

I hit a nice one in my online franchise to antonio bryant, off of a pump fake, which made him switch off to the wrong player.

what has worked for me, is just going through my route progressions, based on who the primary reciever is.

This forces me to wait for the route and coverage to develop.

If its there, and I have the protection, I'll take the shot, if not, I'll just check it down.

The problem in Madden is, as always, context. If I strong safety who is supposed to have deep 1/3 coverage is rolled up into the box, he absolutely should not be able to get back to give help on a streak route 50 yards downfield, at a perfect angle.

Usain Bolt couldnt do this.

Last edited by sportyguyfl31; 09-29-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:35 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 21

This is one of my biggest frustrations with this Madden. I could say blocking or weird animations, but I didn't expect those to be perfected as there is some seriously complex logic involved.

I usually play with the Pats and the ratings between Brady and Moss should make for a perfect deep ball combo. However, I can't do it.

The problem is this: The QB doesn't lead the receiver down the field. When a WR is past his defender, the QB should always err on the side of overthrowing the ball. Most WRs are faster than CBs IRL, and the QB should try to lead them deep. However, in Madden they always throw it short. ALWAYS!

I don't understand it. If I take control of the WR and hit speed burst, I can get behind the defender, but I also over run the ball by 10 yrds. I can't get into position to try and catch it under the red ring icon without some BS rocket catch maneuver. All the while, the defender is straffing and getting into the perfect position to make great leaping pick.

And yes, and I've definitely tried pressing up to lead the receiver/throw high. I also do not throw on the move. I have my feet planted in the pocket and no defenders around the QB at all. It's just broken, plain and simple.

Very frustrating.

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Old 09-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #40
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble14

Great post...I was reading the online guide at Gamespot and this is pretty much what it said...the deep ball and how to throw it is different this year, so these are key points to get it to happen...

Thanks for the confirmation...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »