Home

Are we taking Madden too serious?

This is a discussion on Are we taking Madden too serious? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #25
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: Are we taking Madden too serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavfan21
Yes, we are.

It's a GAME and like all games can never accurately simulate reality. It's possible to hit 100 homers in The Show with Michael Young, does that mean it sucks? You can take 5-6 bullets to your torso in COD4 and wait and heal....stupid unrealistic game?

People go ballistic because it is possible to exploit flaws in Madden and call it unplayable.

It's A GAME! It's better than 09 and getting better.
Agreed on all points.
Does Madden have it's flaws? Yes.
Is it a bad game? No.
Can it be improved? Yes, just as all games can.
Are we ever going to have a perfect football simulation? No. Probably not. Some may be close but, I will guarantee that all sports games will have there flaws. Some people can live with them, some can't. i made a conscience decision (that made my life much simpler) to go ahead and see the game for what it is.... A video game that is supposed to be fun and nothing about the game is going to do anything to ruin my life. So, like I said, I know what it is and if I said a WTF moment, I could honestly care less. There more things to worry about in life than a silly video game.

So, my answer to the OP is yes most people do take it to seriously, just not me.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 1

See, it's not life or death to me either, but I gotta admit that the 'it's just a game' mantra disturbs me, somewhat. EA is a company, a business, a money making business, a stock-market tradeable business, that makes money off of products they produce. One being Madden Football. Enough of a business to buyout their competition or exclusive licenses so that they're the only one making a certain product.

It seems that because it's a video game company, then they (all VG companies, not just EA here...) get some sort of 'Get Out Of Jail/Critique' card because it's 'just a video game'.

But people pay $60 for this product. Just as they pay $60 for any other device, or application, or product on the market. And if they pay $60 for something...and in this case, every single year, it better work properly, or as it is designed/advertised to do.

Just because this is "A GAME" - it's 'A GAME' that people forked out $60 for. If it;s 'just a game' and everyone should just take it less seriously if portions of the game are broken, then EA should understand it's 'just a game' and not charge $60. In fact, make the game free, because, afterall, it's 'just a game'.

Now I'm just discussing the principle, here, and why I don't like that excuse. And honestly, I don't believe EA believes 'it's just a game', either, it's their business. And meanwhile, I do enjoy the game, and feel it's coming along and just has some issues here and there that need to be dealt with, some of which they are. But, even so, we shouldn't give them a free pass, or allow a software developer to hide from criticism, just because their business happens to be the business of making, just 'a game'.

Last edited by dj101; 10-27-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:30 PM   #27
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Men_in_Mass
I wasn't trying to be funny
Well this thread is about taking Madden too serious. I'm saying it is serious to me. What has happened to my hobby is like forcing someone who enjoys reading to only be able to read Tom Clancy books. Now either he has to only read Tom Clancy or choose a new hobby instead of one he's been doing for 20 years.

I love my hobby enough to complain loudly when it's being destroyed and don't think anyone who feels the same should just give up and deal with what is happening to it.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:13 PM   #28
MVP

KillRoy's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethMurphy
instead all i see are people bitching and moaning because a video game doesn't produce 100 percent accurate stats to real life.
The funny thing is, if the game produced 100% accurate stats people would still be in here bitching about it and saying the game is too realistic and "I can't run the ball, the running game is broke"! LOL!

I think the most we can ask for from EA (or any company) is to just implement "football strategy" accurately in a video game. In fact, this is true for all sports games. The game needs to be fun to play but it also needs to "represent" the sport correctly. This is one reason why I just don't play sports games that much anymore, they just don't represent their sports that well. Especially Tennis games... they suck soooo bad at representing the sport that I just DO NOT play them anymore. Although, I'll save this complaint for the tennis board. LOL! But whats bad about it is that it wouldn't be that hard to make a realistic tennis game. However, football seems like it would be hard to make a realistic game. Perhaps the most "realistic" Madden game ever was Madden 98. But no one plays that game anymore.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:29 PM   #29
R**k**

whosgotcha's Arena

OVR: 18

I'm not taking Madden to seriously. I understand it is a video game. It is my spot of fantasy in which I would like to be able to play defense as opposed to feeling like I'm picking a play and simply watching it unfold. I would like to produce sacks with the right defensive play and get a few player controlled sacks myself. These are just a few areas that prevent me from becoming immersed in the "football fantasy".
Old 10-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 0

Like i said i don't want this to turn into a flamming war. Just people having intelligent discussing on how to improve madden. I for one would love for some devs to join in and we asked real questions to them, not personal attacks. That in my opinion would silence all this "they are only here to hype the game" talk.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:26 PM   #31
MVP

stlstudios189's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Well this thread is about taking Madden too serious. I'm saying it is serious to me. What has happened to my hobby is like forcing someone who enjoys reading to only be able to read Tom Clancy books. Now either he has to only read Tom Clancy or choose a new hobby instead of one he's been doing for 20 years.

I love my hobby enough to complain loudly when it's being destroyed and don't think anyone who feels the same should just give up and deal with what is happening to it.
I like this comparison. I like Tom Clancy but, I enjoy reading other books as well. Same with my games, look at most other sports NBA 2-3 games, NHL 2 games, Soccor 2-3 games, Tennis 2 games. The only sports w/ 1 game are NFL and Nascar (which is actally at 0 this year)

I have won like 20 Super Bowls in Madden so I am kinda a big deal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2009, 08:26 PM   #32
MVP

KillRoy's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereisonly1#1
Like i said i don't want this to turn into a flamming war. Just people having intelligent discussing on how to improve madden.

The only way to improve the game is to make it more about play calling and balancing the game so that you can take advantage of match ups on BOTH sides of the ball. This is the thing thats wierd about most football games, they're too focused on hot routes and just knowing how the AI will react to it rather than actual football strategy. I think the animations kind of limit the gameplay as well. The game is just really clunky because the players seem like robots rather than humans. Which is one thing I loved about the 2D football games... it always seemed like you had better control over your players.

But the most important thing is play calling. For example, when you're in the 4-3 defense, there should be 3 basic types of zone defenses, one where the linebackers cover the slant routes, one where the LB's cover the crossing routes and one that has the LBs cover the flats, while the zone is weak against corner routes and hooks. This way its up to offensive player to recognize this and get the ball to the proper reciever after the snap, thats where player skill comes into play. It should also be programed into the game to be easier to run up the middle against a 4-3 but harder to run to the outside against it.

Another example... when the defense is in a 3-4, it should be easier to run off-tackle against it but harder to run up the middle against it. This would force the defensive player to decide which player to take control of before the snap.

Like if I'm playing defense and I'm in a 4-3 zone that covers the slant... should I take control of the free safety and cover the corner route or should I control one of the linebackers and cover the flats?

Thats the whole idea behind a football game that employs actual football strategy... there has to be a lot of guessing going on before the snap and trying to get a feel on what your opponent's tendencies are. Certain defenses should be weak against certain types of offenses and certain offenses should be weak against certain defenses. And its up to the defensive player to decide who to control before the snap and its up to the offensive player to call audibles based on who the defensive player is controlling before the snap. Right now... it doesnt really matter who you control before the snap because play calling is not that important, its all about hot routes and hot plays and nothing more.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »