Home

Madden NFL 11 Hints From EA (IGN)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11 Hints From EA (IGN) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Madden 11 Hints From EA

[quote=CreatineKasey;2040837887]I bet most owners of Madden never play 75 games worth of football, online or offline. Most gamers aren't like us. They don't pick 1 game and put serious hours into it. There's plenty of casual gamers and guys who bounce back and forth from new games every month or two.

Massively Multiplayer Online games have kind of set a blueprint for getting a gamer to commit to your game. Think of Modern Warfare 2 and how it "unlocks" weapons and abilities as the gamer competes. That motivates many gamers to keep going. Madden's traditional matchmaking and leaderboards lack the motivation that other games give. Those progression markers are very addicting. Online Franchise is a wonderful step in that direction. Unfortunately unless you're hardcore about creating an offseason, it falls far short for most gamers. It's not for the causal fan this season.

Madden would greatly benefit from adding in some sort of "progressing over time" online function.

Agreed, I was just thinking about this the other day, the thing is I don't know how it would work or how EA would implement it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #42
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Madden NFL 11 Hints From EA (IGN)

That's why I posted in another thread how Madden should track what teams you have used, what teams you have played against and what teams you've beaten, both online and offline. An old Madden/NCAA had this and it drove me really to play the game a lot more. Plus it was cool to be spurred on to use teams, and play against teams, that I would normally not use. They could do that for an achievement or a trophy.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #43
Banned

OVR: 25
Re: Madden 11 Hints From EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boregard

The reason EA lost a ton of "casual gamers" is because they got cute and changed crap that already worked well! They go back and forth with game play issues because instead of tweaking a little thing to correct they completely change stuff = dumb! IMO
Quite the contrary...EA has Gained a TON of casual gamers...Thats been their mission since the 360 (then PS3) was released....More casuals=more $$$.

I think M11 is gonna be a step down personally. I am curious as USUAL about madden (20+ yrs with it will do that to you)...But i am pretty much done with my expectations (i treat madden as a hold over for other games).....Let down after let down after.....
Old 03-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #44
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20

Ian had mentioned a quicker experience for Madden 10 in a previous thread. He said that games were taking too long to get through (which I agree because I am married and have other responsibilities. I gave this example:

Wife, "we have to go shopping are you playing online?"

Me, "yeah"

Wife, "well, how long is it going to be?"

Me with a grimace, "an hour!?!"

Wife, "well, can't you just quit and play when we get back?"

Me embarrassed, "no, if I quit my record will be punished..."

So Ian put a fix in for Madden 10, accelerated clock, faster presentation for online, and 5 minute quarters. Then the community outrage came and we're back to that one hour mark. PS2 Madden only took about 30 minutes to complete making it easy to get multiple games in if you had some time to spare.

So you may be asking "why does Ian care so much about this issue?". Well, here's your answer - the game takes too long for even the devs to play it! Ian noticed this last year when he could get in a 30 minute game of Fifa here and there but like me couldn't find that hour needed for a game of Madden. As a result he's always playing Fifa and not Madden. I love the sim community, but they are wrong on this one, presentation should be slim to none online. Seventeen minutes of football out of 60? Say it out loud and realize that it's crazy.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #45
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdon2k
Ian had mentioned a quicker experience for Madden 10 in a previous thread. He said that games were taking too long to get through (which I agree because I am married and have other responsibilities. I gave this example:

Wife, "we have to go shopping are you playing online?"

Me, "yeah"

Wife, "well, how long is it going to be?"

Me with a grimace, "an hour!?!"

Wife, "well, can't you just quit and play when we get back?"

Me embarrassed, "no, if I quit my record will be punished..."

So Ian put a fix in for Madden 10, accelerated clock, faster presentation for online, and 5 minute quarters. Then the community outrage came and we're back to that one hour mark. PS2 Madden only took about 30 minutes to complete making it easy to get multiple games in if you had some time to spare.

So you may be asking "why does Ian care so much about this issue?". Well, here's your answer - the game takes too long for even the devs to play it! Ian noticed this last year when he could get in a 30 minute game of Fifa here and there but like me couldn't find that hour needed for a game of Madden. As a result he's always playing Fifa and not Madden. I love the sim community, but they are wrong on this one, presentation should be slim to none online. Seventeen minutes of football out of 60? Say it out loud and realize that it's crazy.

It's not crazy. I remember reading about how much live football is actually seen during a given broadcast. It ended up being around 10 minutes in a 3 hour broadcast. Yes... it was less than a half hour!

Football works that way. People need time to select plays and set things up. The actual play lasts for mere seconds.

If they could pare down the non-football gameplay we could possibly experience a fair amount of plays in a half hour. I'd love to play 10 minute quarters and finish in 45ish minutes.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #46
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

http://www.facebook.com/EASportsMadd...s/365744508352

"Guys. Before you rush to judgment, please wait until you have full details. We are very excited about this year's version and think you will like the different options. We are definitely not dumbing the game down. In fact, it will be more authentic. Can't go into details just yet."

"The... theme for Madden 11 this year is “simpler, quicker, and deeper,”".
Old 03-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #47
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Madden's presentation already caters to button mashers and speed gamers. If it gets any worse I'll be done.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 03-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #48
MVP

OVR: 12

I dont know about everyone else, but the playbooks were generic enough that all I ever did was hit the "ask madden" button and call a play. That feature selects the same plays over and over and over. That may be why they have the results that they have.

If a lot of other users use the " Ask Madden" feature to select plays, then its their fault, and not the players faults that the same plays have been getting called repeatedly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »