Home

I finally gave Madden a chance, and I love it... Madden 10, that is

This is a discussion on I finally gave Madden a chance, and I love it... Madden 10, that is within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-31-2010, 08:58 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: I finally gave Madden a chance, and I love it... Madden 10, that is

I am enjoying 11 much more than 10 - plays better on the field. The play just feels more "real." First time since 2k5 that I put 2k5 back on the shelf!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2010, 10:24 AM   #26
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Patch 5 got me back

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576
This is a serious question to all the guys out there that are enjoying Madden 11, is it just me or .......

Don't you guys get frustrated if you call man defense against a 2 WR set with both WR on the both side and a LB covers the inside WR?

Have you guys tried using defensive assignments to setup certain match ups with certain WR/TE/RB and have plays where WR's are completely uncovered or your LB/SS/FS have switched positions on the field?

Have you guys ever picked a nickel or dime man defense to have extra DBs on the field to cover elite TE only to have the CB cover the RB out the backfield and a LB still covering the TE?

Do you guys constantly see receivers get bumped and grabbed well beyond 5 yds with NO pass interference call?

Do you guys ever have the player you are controlling just do unexplained movements or unresponsive pauses that have you wondering if your PS3/360 controller is malfunctioning?

Have you guys ever pressed the button to switch to the closet defender to the ball but feel like it just randomly placed you on whatever defender in the general area?

Lastly, have you guys ever played a game of Madden, even against another HUM player but regardless of how well you or they play, it seems it doesn't matter because the "fix is in" and the winner has already be predetermined?

I have no intention of trying to affect anyone's enjoyment by listing a bunch of "glitches" or whatever, I know there are threads for that. I am actually hoping the opposite, that maybe some of you guys can give me some pointers on looking past these type things.

I started back to playing Madden 11 offline franchise with a buddy on Wednesday after reading a few good things about the latest patch. He is on vacation for like another week so we have played alot of Madden these last two days, in between girlfriend, wife and children obligations. We hadn't played much since around October, so I was really looking foward to enjoying the game post patch.

Thing is, I'm not and those things I listed are just so ridiculous to me. I can honestly overlook some of the other stuff that we all know isn't quite right but things like constantly, no pass interference after seeing the TE get mugged 10-12 yds down field, C'mon! LOL

I would just love to know how some of you guys are dealing with these issues or new ways I might play so I don't really notice these so much. Right now, Madden is the only NFL we got and I would love to find a way to deal with it until August 2011 and hope Madden 12 is better for me.
I'll cover some of these.

1. If A happens, I do one of two things. Allow the LB to cover the WR, it happens in the NFL. Matthews, Chillar, Urlacher and others cover Wr's sometimes, just like it happens in the game. Or I'll take my other corner and race to cover the WR.

2. I would have Woodsen line up against Olsen all game and blanket him. I've never seen that issue.

3. There has been very little PI in the game for years, so, it's something I've been accustomed to. I harp on it a lot. There are only a few penalties that are called consistently, holdg, FM, clippg, and FS on the CPU offense. Plus, I have about 3-4 seconds in the pocket, I don't have time to read every WR/DB interaction unless I hit replay all day, and I barely have time to get a game in.

Maybe you didn't play Madden 10 much, but with the latest patch, the pursuit angles are much better than 11 and the defense has picked up quite a bit. I played a game against the CPU last night with gameflow. Probably one of the best games I've seen out of 11 with sliders. The Giants won 24-22. One play, Brandon Jacobs broke in the clear and I was controlling Woodsen. I had a great angle on him and all of a sudden, out of the clear blue sky, Tramon Williams tackles him from behind. That never happened in previous Maddens.

That play or plays I described is what I focus on, the improvements with noticeable game play being made since Madden 10 and previous.

Last edited by roadman; 12-31-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:59 AM   #27
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I'll cover some of these.

1. If A happens, I do one of two things. Allow the LB to cover the WR, it happens in the NFL. Matthews, Chillar, Urlacher and others cover LB's sometimes, just like it happens in the game. Or I'll take my other corner and race to cover the WR.

2. I would have Woodsen line up against Olsen all game and blanket him. I've never seen that issue.

3. There has been very little PI in the game for years, so, it's something I've been accustomed to. I harp on it a lot. There are only a few penalties that are called consistently, holdg, FM, clippg, and FS on the CPU offense. Plus, I have about 3-4 seconds in the pocket, I don't have time to read every WR/DB interaction unless I hit replay all day, and I barely have time to get a game in.

Maybe you didn't play Madden 10 much, but with the latest patch, the pursuit angles are much better than 11 and the defense has picked up quite a bit. I played a game against the CPU last night with gameflow. Probably one of the best games I've seen out of 11 with sliders. The Giants won 24-22. One play, Brandon Jacobs broke in the clear and I was controlling Woodsen. I had a great angle on him and all of a sudden, out of the clear blue sky, Tramon Williams tackles him from behind. That never happened in previous Maddens.

That play or plays I described is what I focus on, the improvements being made since Madden 10 and previous.
Thanks for the suggestions Roadman but they really don't help me much to be honest. I understand LB sometimes end up covering WR IRL but not when the defense is in a 4-3 man coverage and 2WR line up on the same side of the field. Also, I didn't clarify well enough, my mention of using defense assignment matchups was separate from the extra DBs to cover TE but the reason why actually explains my frustration better. If you place Charles Woodson on Olsen all game in the defensive matchup screen all kinds of crazy things happen when playing a HUM player. Like, if Olsen is not on the field for a play Woodson will just be in limbo playing nobody, if other defenders are not given matchups you can have outside WR uncovered wide open or you can have a situation where the play has the SS/FS covering the TE so Woodson is switched to the safety position deep upfield, away from the LOS.

Maybe the trouble is that a always play another person and not the CPU but some many people claim that's when Madden plays its' best. However all those issues I posted are in HUM vs HUM games. Oh well, everything is not for everybody I guess. It is just frustrating when you honestly want to enjoy a game and really get into it but you can't. That's nothing unique to just Madden but it is just more frustrating because I love the NFL and this is the only NFL game.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:10 AM   #28
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576
Thanks for the suggestions Roadman but they really don't help me much to be honest. I understand LB sometimes end up covering WR IRL but not when the defense is in a 4-3 man coverage and 2WR line up on the same side of the field. Also, I didn't clarify well enough, my mention of using defense assignment matchups was separate from the extra DBs to cover TE but the reason why actually explains my frustration better. If you place Charles Woodson on Olsen all game in the defensive matchup screen all kinds of crazy things happen when playing a HUM player. Like, if Olsen is not on the field for a play Woodson will just be in limbo playing nobody, if other defenders are not given matchups you can have outside WR uncovered wide open or you can have a situation where the play has the SS/FS covering the TE so Woodson is switched to the safety position deep upfield, away from the LOS.

Maybe the trouble is that a always play another person and not the CPU but some many people claim that's when Madden plays its' best. However all those issues I posted are in HUM vs HUM games. Oh well, everything is not for everybody I guess. It is just frustrating when you honestly want to enjoy a game and really get into it but you can't. That's nothing unique to just Madden but it is just more frustrating because I love the NFL and this is the only NFL game.
Ah, I see, ok, yeah, we are probably talking apples to oranges with a human vs human and human vs cpu.

At least, you tried to get into it. It's unfortunate you can't get over the things you mentioned.

Have a good new year, hope Madden 12 is what you are looking for. Took me 5 months to warm up to 11, but now I'm glad I didn't trade it in.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:19 AM   #29
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Ah, I see, ok, yeah, we are probably talking apples to oranges with a human vs human and human vs cpu.

At least, you tried to get into it. It's unfortunate you can't get over the things you mentioned.

Have a good new year, hope Madden 12 is what you are looking for. Took me 5 months to warm up to 11, but now I'm glad I didn't trade it in.
From your post, to God's email. LOL
Old 12-31-2010, 11:40 AM   #30
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

To answer the question, I shelved Madden 10 early on. I would take it down, play it a litle an shelve it again. There are many reasons why, which would only repeat what others have written. The one big improvement that I haven't read people mention that also makes me like Madden 11 more is Offensive Line blocking. It was improved so much this year, more than EVER before.

I recently put NCAA 11 back in. I forgot why I stopped playing that game, it's so much better than Madden. Then I remembered... it's college.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:45 PM   #31
MVP

MattIntellect's Arena

OVR: 26

Hmmm.... Madden 10 is a good game, but Madden 11 is certainly not a downgrade.
Madden 11 improved most of the features in Madden 10:
  • Cut-scenes, players and coaches appear better due to new graphical enhancements and the cut-scenes seem to fit in and flow better
  • Gameplay: GameFlow/GamPlan, new locomotion, better catching animations, new sideline catch logic, improved Pro-Tak, much better blocking
  • Gus Johnson, although a little over the top, he is much better than Tom Hammond
There are many other things that I could list, but it all depends on what you prefer or like the most. For me, Madden 11 is the first Madden on the Xbox 360/PS3 that I've played up until December, and going into the new year. So, it's a big upgrade to me.

Last edited by MattIntellect; 12-31-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2010, 04:03 PM   #32
MVP

jsou4646's Arena

OVR: 15

I actually like m10 as well, especially online.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »