Home

Rate the 2011 Rookies (2011 and potential)

This is a discussion on Rate the 2011 Rookies (2011 and potential) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-24-2011, 11:00 PM   #17
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Rate the 2011 Rookies (2011 and potential)

1- Cam Newton 78 - A

Huge fan of this pick, although not until right up to the draft. Carolina had to go Newton or Dareus, and went Newton. Carolina was 32nd in Passing Offense last year and it got them banged up on the ground, so this was the obvious choice. Newton is surrounded by a supporting cast that went 12-4 in Delhomme's last good year. If there is any downside to his current support is the hole at RG and the youth at WR outside of Steve Smith.

Newton is largely agreed to have the highest ceiling of any QB in the draft because of his physical ability. Newton has 3 questions to answer for his critics: Can he transition from the Auburn's spread offense? Can he make the playcalls, and can he qualm the questions of his integrity and work ethic?

I think he already answered the playcalling and work ethic questions in his pre-draft interviews with the Panthers, and with his post-draft at the IMG center, which you can feel free to look up and read about if you want too. His major question is going to be adjusting to being under center and making the throws on comeback routes.

One of the biggest strengths in Newton's favor atm is Carolina's new coaching staff and OC "Chud" who is the guy that made Derek Anderson look like the next big thing.

I think people doubting Cam at this point are turning a blind eye to what he has done to help himself, and what Carolina, the team that hasn't missed on a #1 draft pick since 2000, is doing to help him.

2- Von Miller 79 - B

No, I don't give Von Miller a B because I think he's not great, but because he's playing in a 4-3. With John Fox moving to a 4-3 system, a system which his personnel doesn't match or at least excel at I think Denver is in for a very rough year.

3- Marcell Dareus 81 - A

Great pick up by the Bills. Buffalo was a team last year that couldn't stop a toddler, and Dareus fills that hole in a big way up the middle. Fitzpatrick is no Peyton Manning, but he fills the need for the time that allowed them to focus elsewhere with the first pick.

4-Aj Green, 81 - A

Great potential for AJ Green, although I'm not sure he's going to succeed on the Bungels. They have no proven QB once they run Palmer off for nothing in return, and they have a loser for a head coach. Worst situation he could have landed in.

5- Patrick Peterson 82 - A

Could possibly be the next big thing in the NFL as far as CBs are concerned. He can make an impact on any team. I think the only other solid pick for Arizona at 5 would have been Locker.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:35 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 36

I think it's funny you gave the Eagles, Cowboys and Redskins three of the lowest grades..

I don't see how Watkins is so low to everyone, it's almost like because he isn't a flash name he automatically sucks.

Age with OL is overrated. He can play for 8-10 years, no problem. Mayock had him as the best guard prospect for a while, and the most NFL-ready OL...but yet he gets shafted simply because he's older. Even if he plays GREAT for 3-4 seasons, it's not a wasted pick. The Eagles are in win-now mode.

I'd start him out at as 78-79, and have his POT be capped at 85-86 for now. I don't think he'll be elite, but he won't have the rookie struggles.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:23 AM   #19
MVP

babyfat9's Arena

OVR: 14

I think all rookies should be low to high 70's. No higher than a 78.....longevity should play a key component on their overall ratings. A good rookie season should boost them up to maybe Mid 80's and no higher. Even with Suh's breakout season I don't think anyone had him rated in the 90's+ until he can prove he can play at that level on a consistent basis.

Monsters of the Midway
Chicago Bears
Old 05-25-2011, 05:11 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyfat9
I think all rookies should be low to high 70's. No higher than a 78.....longevity should play a key component on their overall ratings. A good rookie season should boost them up to maybe Mid 80's and no higher. Even with Suh's breakout season I don't think anyone had him rated in the 90's+ until he can prove he can play at that level on a consistent basis.
I sort of agree, but IMO you should be able to hit 90 for exceptional rookie seasons (AP being the standard example). OVR has nothing to do with consistency, leave that to streaks.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:21 AM   #21
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFitsDaveyJ
I think it's funny you gave the Eagles, Cowboys and Redskins three of the lowest grades..

I don't see how Watkins is so low to everyone, it's almost like because he isn't a flash name he automatically sucks.

Age with OL is overrated. He can play for 8-10 years, no problem. Mayock had him as the best guard prospect for a while, and the most NFL-ready OL...but yet he gets shafted simply because he's older. Even if he plays GREAT for 3-4 seasons, it's not a wasted pick. The Eagles are in win-now mode.

I'd start him out at as 78-79, and have his POT be capped at 85-86 for now. I don't think he'll be elite, but he won't have the rookie struggles.

I do not think their are many people out there who think those 3 teams exactly killed it on draft day. Notice i did not even give my giants a great grade even tho their draft has been widely considered one of the best 2. I do not like watkins at all as a prospect, less time to learn cause of age and not as much football experience as other prospects.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #22
Rookie

Signaltheescape's Arena

OVR: 0

Watkins at 78!!! are you serious? do you know he just started playing football 3 years ago? and you have him at a 78. Watkins is a 65. Just because you are 28 does not mean you will not go through rookie struggles. Especially if you only have 3 years of football experience. You must really be an eagle's homer. I love Watkins as person. He served our country and is a stand up guy but as a football player he was nothing more than a 3rd rounder only because of his potential.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:34 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signaltheescape
Watkins at 78!!! are you serious? do you know he just started playing football 3 years ago? and you have him at a 78. Watkins is a 65. Just because you are 28 does not mean you will not go through rookie struggles. Especially if you only have 3 years of football experience. You must really be an eagle's homer. I love Watkins as person. He served our country and is a stand up guy but as a football player he was nothing more than a 3rd rounder only because of his potential.

agreed...but im apparetly a giants homer bu underating him LOL!
Old 05-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #24
Pro

Dbrentonbuck's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien6663
5- Patrick Peterson 82, 99

The best player to come out in this draft, will be the next shutdown corner in the nfl in 5 years people wil be talking about revis and peterson as the nfl's 2 premiere corners.

6- Julio Jones 77, 87

Clocks faster then he plays, will not be the playmaker that the falcons are expecting him to be however will turn into a great possesion receiver and redzone threat (for some reason he reminds me a lil of Keyshawn Johnson).
I don't understand people predicting Peterson to be the next Revis or even a shut down corner for that matter. The media fell in love with this guy and he has ridden the hype machine all the way to the bank. Lets look at some facts shall we?

I couldn't find the numbers for Revis 2010 season laid out the way I want them, so I am using numbers from the 2009 season here. Lets look at Revis' numbers against the elite receivers in the NFL.

Name,Team Catches-Yards-TD

Andre Johnson, Texans 4-35-0
Randy Moss, Patriots 4-24-0
Marques Colston, Saints 2-33-0
Terrell Owens, Bills 3-13-0
Mike Sims-Walker, Jaguars 3-49-1
Randy Moss, Patriots 5-34-1
Steve Smith, Panthers 1-5-0
Terrell Owens, Bills 3-31-0
Roddy White, Falcons 4-33-0
Reggie Wayne, Colts 3-33-0
Chad Ochocinco*, Bengals 0-0-0

Some of the best receivers in the NFL averaged 3 catches for 26 yards and no touchdowns against Revis.

Now, I notice you have Julio Jones' potential rated a full 12 points lower than Peterson's. You also say he will not go on to become a play maker and that he will just be a possession receiver and redzone threat.
6 months ago Patrick Peterson and Julio Jones spent almost an entire game locked up head to head.
Peterson had 6 tackles, 3 pass break ups and 0 interceptions while Julio Jones had 10 catches for 89 yards and a TD where he beat Peterson in one on one man to man coverage. You don't think Jones will be an elite wide receiver in the NFL. Fair enough. But, how can you then go on to say Peterson will be the next Revis when a guy you don't think will be an elite WR just embarrassed him on national TV less than 6 months ago?

There is a hole in your logic. So, either Jones is elite too or Peterson is not. It cannot be both. I am using the 2010 game because that is most recent and it is the game where they went head to head for the majority of the game, but Julio averages 7 catches for 106 yards per game against Peterson. That doesn't sound like an elite shut down corner to me unless Jones is better than Moss, Johnson, White, Wayne, Smith etc. It has to be one or the other. Jones can't just be ok while Peterson is elite. Either they are both mediocre or they are both elite.

Last edited by Dbrentonbuck; 05-25-2011 at 10:12 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »