Home

Phil Frazier is Leaving EA Sports Tiburon

This is a discussion on Phil Frazier is Leaving EA Sports Tiburon within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #545
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: Phil Frazier is Leaving EA Sports Tiburon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
I still stand by with what I said. But back on topic. But to be honest what is the topic. Is it to say best wishes to Phil? Talk about the direction they take now? Or talk about how this will kill the community part of this game for OS? I just have no idea anymore.
Yeah, this thread has gone way past saying good-byes to Phil and should be closed.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #546
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
I still stand by with what I said. But back on topic. But to be honest what is the topic. Is it to say best wishes to Phil? Talk about the direction they take now? Or talk about how this will kill the community part of this game for OS? I just have no idea anymore.
I thought it was all things about Phil, post-Phil and Madden future. That's a deep question..... I know I'm going to bed. Ya'll sort this out. BTW, I'm pretty sure that Phil is reading this very thread, right now. So, GOOD LUCK AND THANKS FOR ALL YOU'VE DONE. Now give us the skinny......

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 06-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #547
Banned

OVR: 47

Can't you feel the love Phil?
Old 06-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #548
Turn 10 - Microsoft

OVR: 26

Evening fellow OSers,

I wanted to take a quick moment to provide what is likely my last post here on OS.

I've started what is set to be my last week at Electronic Arts Tiburon. After 14 years at EA, I've decided to take a position with a new company working on products of a different genre, and platform. I do this for mostly selfish reasons. I've worked on sports games, and on top of that football games, for 99% of my time at EA. While many in the community will argue that I was no good at my job , I felt like it was time to become a better game developer by working on something different. Different challenges to help take me out of my comfort zone and grow as a professional. On top of the development goals, it has been a goal for my family to get back to the bay area for some time. It's really beautiful there. To sum it up, I'm leaving for two reasons: 1) My family really wants to be on the west coast and 2) To help me grow as a game developer.

It's been fun reading through all of the speculation in this thread. In the absence of details, it's easy and fun to go crazy with conspiracy theories. Here are some things that I'd like to call out as 100% false:

1. Myself or others that left recently were 'forced' out. This is not at all true. We're all leaving for our own reasons but not one of us were forced out. Without getting into specifics, I had discussed my departure with people in our label weeks ago and had even considered opportunities outside of Sports before deciding to become a free agent. I'm not sure they would have supported these conversations if they were really forcing me out.
2. There were creative differences between myself and Cam. Again, this is not at all true. In fact, I can say that the entire football leadership team (Cam, myself, Roy Harvey, Mike Young, etc...) all agreed on the overall vision for improving our products. I very much agreed with Cam's decision to double the size of our core football team after we wrap up Madden 12. Doing this will better allow us to make key improvements to the gameplay experience of both of our titles. Outside of core football, Cam and I shared a passion to try to get more story into our depth modes as well as several other items that I can't share without spoiling the future. Cam was a great addition to our studio and team, and will absolutely keep things moving in the right direction. This guy lives and breathes football.

As you all know, Roy Harvey will be shifting over from NCAA to take the EP position on Madden. He has done a phenomenal job in leading NCAA Football up to this point. There are many that feel NCAA is the superior product and his leadership on Madden should lead to great things. On top of Cam and Roy, you all know Mike Young. Mike is remaining on the team as the Creative Director for Madden and very much cares about the franchise. He has many fresh ideas that I'm sure you'll love in years to come. Behind these guys is a large team of dedicated and talented engineers, artists, designers, and support staff that are all very much excited about the future. No one person can ship a great game or cause a team to fail. It really is a team effort and the team that remains is very strong. Different for sure, but strong.

Through my 14 years with EA, I've worked on Madden in a variety of roles. I started as a Tester, served as a Lead Designer, and ended my career here at the Executive Producer. While no single product was perfect, there are things about each of them that I'm terribly proud of. Features like QB Vision, which was incredibly polarizing (not in a good way), helped me grow as a developer. The fact that I contributed to products like Madden 04 and Madden 05, which many still view as the best in the series, still brings a smile to my face. And all along the way, I've worked with some very talented people that each have taught me how to be a better developer and person.

Towards the back side of my career at EA, I started to interact directly with the community through sites like this. Initially, this was very much against the rules but once started, the benefits of our relationship become very clear. Since then, some level of interaction has become a requirement of all game teams. As Facebook and Twitter have become more popular, the mechanics of the interaction have changed slightly but the fundamentals are still the same. A direct level of communication with your most passionate fans is absolutely critical. We make the game for a lot of people and it's important to know exactly what our audience wants. You all are an important part of our audience and the fact that you take time out of your lives to discuss our product means you care. Even when the feedback gets negative, it's still coming from an individual that truly wants a great game of simulation football.

I'd like to thank everyone in the community for the interaction we've had over the years. I've had the pleasure of meeting many of you through community events and trade shows and have valued each meeting. Your feedback has helped to shape the product in many ways.

I'd also like to publicly thank the team's I've worked with through the years. I've worked with hundreds of people and literally everyone has helped make the franchise what it is today. I honestly hope I can cross paths with these great men and women in the future.

All the best everyone. It really has been an honor and pleasure working on this great franchise.

Phil Frazier

Last edited by Phil_Frazier; 06-21-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #549
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

Best of luck, Phil. Thanks for all of your hard work.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 06-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #550
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Frazier_EA
Evening fellow OSers,

I wanted to take a quick moment to provide what is likely my last post here on OS.

I've started what is set to be my last week at Electronic Arts Tiburon. After 14 years at EA, I've decided to take a position with a new company working on products of a different genre, and platform. I do this for mostly selfish reasons. I've worked on sports games, and on top of that football games, for 99% of my time at EA. While many in the community will argue that I was no good at my job , I felt like it was time to become a better game developer by working on something different. Different challenges to help take me out of my comfort zone and grow as a professional. On top of the development goals, it has been a goal for my family to get back to the bay area for some time. It's really beautiful there. To sum it up, I'm leaving for two reasons: 1) My family really wants to be on the west coast and 2) To help me grow as a game developer.

It's been fun reading through all of the speculation in this thread. In the absence of details, it's easy and fun to go crazy with conspiracy theories. Here are some things that I'd like to call out as 100% false:

1. Myself or others that left recently were 'forced' out. This is not at all true. We're all leaving for our own reasons but not one of us were forced out. Without getting into specifics, I had discussed my departure with people in our label weeks ago and had even considered opportunities outside of Sports before deciding to become a free agent. I'm not sure they would have supported these conversations if they were really forcing me out.
2. There were creative differences between myself and Cam. Again, this is not at all true. In fact, I can say that the entire football leadership team (Cam, myself, Roy Harvey, Mike Young, etc...) all agreed on the overall vision for improving our products. I very much agreed with Cam's decision to double the size of our core football team after we wrap up Madden 12. Doing this will better allow us to make key improves to the gameplay experience of both of our titles. Outside of core football, Cam and I shared a passion to try to get more story into our depth modes as well as several other items that I can't share without spoiling the future. Cam was a great addition to our studio and team, and will absolutely keep things moving in the right direction. This guy lives and breathes football.

As you all know, Roy Harvey will be shifting over from NCAA to take the EP position on Madden. He has done a phenomenal job in leading NCAA Football up to this point. There are many that feel NCAA is the superior product and his leadership on Madden should lead to great things. On top of Cam and Roy, you all know Mike Young. Mike is remaining on the team as the Creative Director for Madden and very much cares about the franchise. He has many fresh ideas that I'm sure you'll love in years to come. Behind these guys is a large team of dedicated and talented engineers, artists, designers, and support staff that are all very much excited about the future. No one person can ship a great game or cause a team to fail. It really is a team effort and the team that remains is very strong. Different for sure, but strong.

Through my 14 years with EA, I've worked on Madden in a variety of roles. I started as a Tester, served as a Lead Designer, and ended my career here at the Executive Producer. While no single product was perfect, there are things about each of them that I'm terribly proud of. Features like QB Vision, which was incredibly polarizing (not in a good way), helped me grow as a developer. The fact that I contributed to products like Madden 04 and Madden 05, which many still view as the best in the series, still brings a smile to my face. And all along the way, I've worked with some very talented people that each have taught me how to be a better developer and person.

Towards the back side of my career at EA, I started to interact directly with the community through sites like this. Initially, this was very much against the rules but once started, the benefits of our relationship become very clear. Since then, some level of interaction has become a requirement of all game teams. As Facebook and Twitter have become more popular, the mechanics of the interaction have changed slightly but the fundamentals are still the same. A direct level of communication with your most passionate fans is absolutely critical. We make the game for a lot of people and it's important to know exactly what our audience wants. You all are an important part of our audience and the fact that you take time out of your lives to discuss our product means you care. Even when the feedback gets negative, it's still coming from an individual that truly wants a great game of simulation football.

I'd like to thank everyone in the community for the interaction we've had over the years. I've had the pleasure of meeting many of you through community events and trade shows and have valued each meeting. Your feedback has helped to shape the product in many ways.

I'd also like to publicly thank the team's I've worked with through the years. I've worked with hundreds of people and literally everyone has helped make the franchise what it is today. I honestly hope I can cross paths with these great mean and women in the future.

All the best everyone. It really has been an honor and pleasure working on this great franchise.

Phil Frazier
Great to have had you here. Good reasons to leave, family should always be first
Old 06-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #551
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

As I said on Twitter: I appreciated all your efforts, and this game will miss your efforts. Best of luck.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #552
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
Who remembers XOR football (PC). I remember when I thought that was the greatest thing. Sure would like to find it somewhere and install it for giggles.
I actually think I still have it in the attic with the rest of my old games..going back to Intellivision. Yead Madden 12 looks great to me...
Go figure...

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »