Home

Worst Commentary ina game ever!

This is a discussion on Worst Commentary ina game ever! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #41
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: Worst Commentary ina game ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tite50
Demarcus ware has been consistenly excellent!,I know I know! How about Spencer,Ratliff ,Newman ? I have other guys you can talk about
The exact same line every single game, every single time. It's really honestly at the point that it's annoying. I haven't played this game in weeks and I've NEVER done this with any Madden up until now. It's nauseating. I'm praying things will be improved with a patch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #42
MVP

OVR: 9

I wanted to post a similar thread, so I did a search... resurrecting this from a couple of days ago.

Madden '12, has, without a doubt, the worst commentary of any sports game from this generation. It is horrible, laughably bad, is full of glitches, and is really just terrible. So, you may ask, well, why leave on commentary if it is so bad? Well, I will turn it off soon, but I like to hear the special things -- like when a player throws for 3,000 yards, or super bowl, etc -- and those things are appreciated.

I play as the Patriots in my Franchise. I have played one season so far, and I'm in the super bowl. Just to recount the things that REALLY bother me.

The Patriots have no offensive weapon that the game has any information about, I don't really know why, they don't have the "special player" to comment on; nothing about Wes Welker, Tom Brady, Gronkowski, or Ocho Cinco (understandable, game shipped with him on Cincinnatti), so instead, I get the cut-and-dry "Now let's take a look at the offense, who as a group look to put up some points in this one..." followed immediately by, "and that's a player who is definitely someone to watch in this one."

Then, on defense.

"Now, let's take a look at the defense, who as a unit want to... make a NAME for themselves in this one." Followed immediately by, "Yeah he is DEFINITELY primed to be a performer in THIS one TODAY."

Every game.
Every game.
Every game.

After two exhibition games I was sick of it. But after 18 games, it is absolutely crazy.

Another thing, What is the key to every game for the two commentators? Home field advantage. BEfore every game, that's the key. "What do you see as the key to today's game?" "Well, The Patriots want to hold onto homefield advantage and get those thousands of fans on their side." EVERY GAME, according to the commentators, comes down to homefield advantage. I don't mind if a Jets/Patriots matchup comes down to homefield, between two even teams or something, but you could play as the 91 overall Green Bay Packers versus the lowly Cincinatti Bengals and EVERY GAME the key to the game is homefield. Give me a break. "And out comes the Quarterback who in an interview earlier this week said that he wants to get off to a quick start." In franchise year 1, you get this for like 50% of QB's... imagine what it will be like in Franchise year 3, year 5, or hell, year 10. It sucks.

Then, of course, we have the simple glitches. Wide open guys who catch passes and it was a risky pass for the QB to make. Like 25% of passing TDs, even those that are like screen passes, were because the "Cornerback went for the interception and the safety doesn't appreciate that!" "Tom Brady ... is a streaky passer" after you complete five passes in a row, like every time. Or, the weird crazy things like when he announced "Wilfork kicks it off." Weird bizarre things. I don't really mind those, I know it's just a mistake, but it's still bizarre.

Then, there are things that seem to signify a lack of effort. Ben Jarvis Green Ellis, his name isn't in the game... Just #42. He rushed for 1,000 yards last year, he's been a key member of the Patriots for well over a season. He has some of the most touchdowns for running backs in the NFL... yet... nothing on him, just #42. They also don't have Woodhead, Ridley, or anybody from the Patriots backfield. Now, I know, Green Ellis and Woodhead have interesting names and they're not in name databases, but both of them are very well known, and when the Patriots play on Monday Night or Sunday Night, the announcers talk about them ad nauseam.

Now, if the Patriot's -- a 'popular' good team who are in the running for Super Bowls -- don't have their primary players in the game, I can only imagine what it's like for Houston, Cincinnati, Miami, Jacksonville, Carolina, Arizona, and other teams.

I cannot think of a game that has worse announcing than Madden '12, it is just terrible. But, let's stop fooling ourselves, the commentary is not going to get patched. We're stuck with this. They might patch mistakes, like calling Wilfork the kicker for New England, but they're not going to patch the overall ****tiness and redundancy of the commentary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhyankees
Had a good one last night, not sure if anyone mentioned it.

"What do you think Chris?" and.....total silence. I like to imagine that they are not getting
Hahahaha, yeah I got that one a few games ago. I honestly didn't mind, it was funny, and I'd rather have that glitch than have Chris Collinsworth go on for 18 seconds about how "old timers throwing to their wide receivers in the dark," after a 3-yard irrelevent pass, meanwhile, there's a pick six and Collinsworth is still rattling on about something from three plays earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionair
Technologically, there's not much room for advancement even as they bump up to better systems now.
Completely agree with the rest of your post, it's a good one. I wish ... WISH .. and have wanted for years that they go to a college that has a broadcasting program, and they hire like 10 students for an internship, 10 people with good voices, and for their project, they do all of the audio in the game, record every name, every possible name, and then work on stitching lines and connecting everything together. They could then have like three broadcast teams depending on the type of game it was (MNF, SNF, local game, etc), and use them. I think it'd be a tremendous idea and they'd get alot more out of it than they do by paying Collinsworth and the other guy.

The one thing I do disagree with, though, is with technology. They are limited on things like total disc space, and audio takes a disproportionately large chunk of space, but they're not thinking outside the box with audio (or, outside the disc). They could package the game with the same audio that they do now, but if you connect to X-Box Live or PSN, you could download a multi-gb audio pack that provides the rest of the audio for the game and runs off of the Hard Drive. If someone didn't have the storage space, the internet connection, or whatever, they wouldn't need to download it and they'd still have whatever is on the disc, but for the majority of people who do have the space and a connection, they could download it and enjoy the rest. This would take more work, obviously, recording more audio and also intelligently stitching it together with the on-disc audio, but if they released audio packs, say, once every few weeks, they could keep the audio at least somewhat fresh, and also keep it slightly more relevant to real life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
Sad part is, even Radio Guy was better.....at least he knew player's names...
Radio guy, IMO, was a better idea, but was horribly implemented. The concept of radio guy: some random voice talent who they could pay in peanuts and record all of the slave-audio that they need, and would then be used to have way more detailed audio than the relatively expensive real life TV personalities... that is a great idea. But the implementation was terrible. The audio clips they used for radio guy and the scripting was not what radio guys say, instead, he was like the drunk annoying fan who sits behind you at games and tells you everything that is obviously happening on the field. Radio announcers in real life are supposed to tell the story of what's going on, instead, this guy just said things like "WATCH OUT" and "HERE THEY COME." It was effectively a TV announcer's script but with "radio" audio. It didn't make any sense in implementation. A good idea but so poorly implemented.

Last edited by Rebel10; 10-11-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:24 PM   #43
Banned

OVR: 3

Has to the worst commentary ever. In my Bucs franchise he won't say Blount when he runs with it but he will say "LaGerrett Blount" if he happens to make a tackle after an INT or fumble...He calls Mason Foster, "Matt Aciada" (sp?).

And basically everthing you guys have been saying. INTs are commented as completed TDs. Runs are sometimes worded like it was a hail mary and so on...

It baffles me how they can put out the game when it is this bad. Do they not screen the game at all before release or do they simply not care?
Old 10-14-2011, 12:10 AM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 17

There is no excuse for how terrible the commentary is in this game. There is no excitement and half of the stuff they say makes absolutely no sense. I'm able to get past a lot, but the commentary this year is just wretched. On top of that the soundtrack is terrible as well, though that is more a matter of opinion.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:28 AM   #45
Pro

FedExPope's Arena

OVR: 7

Playing Madden I turn down the commentary all the way. When I got NBA 2K12, I knew that I would use my Turtle Beaches while playing.

Madden...you are ridiculously bad for no reason.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2011, 12:30 AM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 2

Nothing is worse then playing with the Bucs.... Basically Mason Foster is annoying to have on your team.... Since for some reason they call him Matt Asioda (SP)
Old 10-14-2011, 12:46 AM   #47
Pro

FedExPope's Arena

OVR: 7

My favorite is 'Mathias Kee-wew-nuke-oo'. Really Gus? Really?
Old 10-16-2011, 04:02 AM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhone
Yeah, I got sick of hearing "The Inconvenient Truth Frank Gore!" over and over. I'm a diehard 49er fan and I can't remember the last time I heard him called that.

After hearing the "whiffed interception attempt" dialogue triggered by actual interceptions a couple dozen times, I just turned the commentary off. The game is better without it; even without the mistakes, it's still the same stuff over and over again anyway.
Chris Collinsworth thinks Adrian Wilson is underrated. Every game.

He's wrong. Wilson sucks.

Then there's Ken "Wise-in-hunt" and Sam "Acho-Ah".

And after some Larry Fitzgerald TD catches, Collinsworth goes off about how great he is at receiving and his arm strength and tight spiral he throws.

I miss the guys from NFL 2k5, even if "the defense folded quicker than an over-caffeinated oragami artist" which is where I got my name here.

Last edited by ovrcfntdorgamiartist; 10-16-2011 at 04:04 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »