Home

Is using another team's playbook "Not Honorable"? Intense Office Debate

This is a discussion on Is using another team's playbook "Not Honorable"? Intense Office Debate within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Is using another team's playbook "Not Honorable"? Intense Office Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorrinRadd12
People aren't getting your point because there's no such thing as a magical playbook.

Im guessing you didnt get my sarcasm?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #66
Pro

baller7345's Arena

OVR: 5

Ok, for anybody who seems to think that playing with the teams book makes you more sim or something along that lines what if you are in the situation I am in my current league.

I've used Green Bay since the dawn of my Madden playing days and as their books have changed, I've changed with them. I've had the current offensive and defensive book pretty much set in stone over the last 4 years though. In those 4 years I've essentially learned just about everything that can be done out of that book while having very little information on how to work within other systems. So I get into a franchise and I'm not able to be Green Bay because they are a really hard team to catch open in a league. I end up with the Arizona Cardinals, with a butchered D-Line (which I'm fixing) and a stud WR core thanks to the previous owner.

Now under these circumstances I'm supposed to play with the Arizona books because that is what madden tells me I should run with that team? I'm not going to try to learn a completely new offense and defense when I've been using the Green Bay books for 4 years. Their system is my system and if I can make it work with the roster I'm given then I think it is perfectly reasonable to use the offense and defense you are most comfortable with.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #67
Rookie

OVR: 4

After reading through this entire discussion I would like to dignify the already mentioned fact that the one constant here is that this game is fundementally flawed regarding when it comes to recognizing the difference between a 43 and 34 base defense.

Every poster involved opinions are valid and correct for different reasons.

I would agree with the OPs original statement that switching to 49ers playbook was not the sole reason that his co-worker lost. As a 34 user I know it takes a fair amount of skill to make all of the presnap adjustments required to be effective even with the proper personel.

I would also agree with the coworker and many others that simply switching to the 49ers playbook should have resulted in a poor defensive performance by the Bengals as we all know they don't currently have the personel to pull it of. Here in lies the fundamental flaw of Maddens defensive programing!

Yes, the NFL is a copy cat league, don't think for a second that NFL coaches won't try to exhaust all possibilities if they feel they have the right players.

I could see a global penalty so to speak when switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4 midway through the season. Not so much with an offseason switch unless the switch did not include proper personel changes.
On the other hand, simply adding a few 34 plays to a primarily 43 base is not a big stretch at all, especially if said team has an athletic DE playing the SAM or JACK. A dime sub package could easily be implemented by most real NFL teams in a week.

It is honorable to stick with a given teams respective playbook however there is no rule that requires this. If co-worker feels dishonered by the loss than hit the lab and find the most effective ways to attack his offense using Dallas playbook, you have already faced him 3 times so his offensive/defensive tendencies should be clear by now. Shouldn't be to much trouble finding ways to beat him using your playbooks, you got weapons on both sides too, Bengals have a solid Oline but D Ware should be able to slam the freckles off of Dalton a few times! ask for a rematch, spank him and come back and tell us about it.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #68
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller7345
Ok, for anybody who seems to think that playing with the teams book makes you more sim or something along that lines what if you are in the situation I am in my current league.

I've used Green Bay since the dawn of my Madden playing days and as their books have changed, I've changed with them. I've had the current offensive and defensive book pretty much set in stone over the last 4 years though. In those 4 years I've essentially learned just about everything that can be done out of that book while having very little information on how to work within other systems. So I get into a franchise and I'm not able to be Green Bay because they are a really hard team to catch open in a league. I end up with the Arizona Cardinals, with a butchered D-Line (which I'm fixing) and a stud WR core thanks to the previous owner.

Now under these circumstances I'm supposed to play with the Arizona books because that is what madden tells me I should run with that team? I'm not going to try to learn a completely new offense and defense when I've been using the Green Bay books for 4 years. Their system is my system and if I can make it work with the roster I'm given then I think it is perfectly reasonable to use the offense and defense you are most comfortable with.
Well first off, what you are describing is a league situation versus a one and done Play Now or online ranked/unranked game I believe being referred to in the OP.

Secondly, to your point about being used to playing with GB and their playbook but now having to adjust to a new team and playbook, makes the point I have been referring to, imo. In Madden by default, when we control team, we are not creating ourselves in the game, except for Superstar mode, but are becoming that team and it's relative parts. So the default way of bringing GB's offense to another team should be through bringing in GB's coaching staff, not by a User just bringing in GB's playbook.

What I am basically stating is that the one of the challenges of User controlling various team should be having to work within that default teams limitations including their coaching staff or currently in Madden's case, their playbook, imo.

That's my take on but I am also not interested in Fantasy Draft Leagues in Madden and find them non-sim and unrealistic, so.........
Old 02-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #69
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal1423
Im frustrated because people arent getting my point. I know you can use other PBs buy Y do so. Y cant people just use the team's playbook??? Ive done it for years. When people use other team's PB's its like they are using other teams's schemes and stuff. The Bengals dont have the Sub package in their PB for a reason. So y should he be able to use it? Y cant he just man up and play straight up? When we did play straight up, i crushed him. and then he had to use the magical PB to do something different. Thats all im sayin. U can use other PB, but its kinda cheesin when u do so. IMO.
So why dont you guys play a tournament where any playbook can be used. This way you guys can see who is the best under those conditions. Then play another tournament where you have to play with the teams playbook , and then see who is the best under those conditions.

This way every one is having to play under their best conditions.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #70
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
Why are you cursing? Absolutely no reason for it

I will say this. Why I dont have a problem beating anyone when they change their playbooks. Prett much every single person I have played changes the playbook, and it has never come up as a disadvantage by anyone I know, but you.

You need to stop using the whole playbook scenario as a excuse.

Then why dont you pick the same playbook, and see if he still beats you. You actaully think by picking a playbook will make your team better. That doesnt make sense. I have actually heard the opposite where players feel their team play worse when you dont use thier playbook. This is the 1st time I have every herad anyone state that the team will play better with another playbook.

Picking a playbook that suites you makes you play better with your team, but no magic happens because a player picked a different playbook.

The funny thing is that you can do the samething, but I think you will refuse to do so , becuase if you lose again that will crush your pride in knowing he is just flat out better than you. Also after that what excuse can you use?

Really I have never herad of anyone complaining because a player is using another teams playbook till this thread.
You rock! Very well said. My bengals players beat his cowboys players. Period... I adjusted and he didnt. Because he got blown out of course he is going to be a big sore loser about it and make excuses every way possible. None of the playbooks are accurate according to what the team does in real life so shoot me for wanting to adjust and giving myself options to do so. He said "I'm one of those guys" who changes their playbook but everyone in their mother on madden changes playbooks and has custom playbooks. Im not cheating by any means.

Also... I plan on playing my coworker Pascal again but in the Cowboys stadiums because he claims that its not fair either because the last two were in Cincinnati. Also I will use the 49ers because he doesnt like switching up of playbooks like i did however he is completly fine with me playing as the 49ers (A COMPLETE BETTER TEAM) and going with both of their playbooks. Get ready for another blowout...

If anyone wants to play be my Gamertag is: NinoDollaz

I have ps3, im down to play any night after i get off work.

Cheers!
Old 02-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #71
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonGreen
You rock! Very well said. My bengals players beat his cowboys players. Period... I adjusted and he didnt. Because he got blown out of course he is going to be a big sore loser about it and make excuses every way possible. None of the playbooks are accurate according to what the team does in real life so shoot me for wanting to adjust and giving myself options to do so. He said "I'm one of those guys" who changes their playbook but everyone in their mother on madden changes playbooks and has custom playbooks. Im not cheating by any means.

Also... I plan on playing my coworker Pascal again but in the Cowboys stadiums because he claims that its not fair either because the last two were in Cincinnati. Also I will use the 49ers because he doesnt like switching up of playbooks like i did however he is completly fine with me playing as the 49ers (A COMPLETE BETTER TEAM) and going with both of their playbooks. Get ready for another blowout...

If anyone wants to play be my Gamertag is: NinoDollaz

I have ps3, im down to play any night after i get off work.

Cheers!
There u go again, nino pacino......1st game was in dallas and after i beat u, u said next time we r playin in the jungle, so we did, and then i wanted to play u again in the jungle to rectify my loss, i lost again so i think its only fair that the next game is in Dallas, dnt try to make it seem like im cryin over here, thats where people draw bias' from. We can play again anytime bro, lets do this. And yes u can be whoever u want, but the difference between u and me is I would never play as any other team, im a Cowboys fan and thats my team......idc if they were the worst team in the game, thats who i play with and ill use their playbook;-)

Thanks everyone for ur input, we will be sure to let everyone know the outcome. U all take care!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #72
Banned

OVR: 8

I have not yet read the thread, just the OP. I'll respond to him first:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonGreen
So heres the Backdrop Story...

Played coworker in Madden12, Bengals vs. Cowboys using their respective playbooks.

First Game, I (The Bengals), lost to my coworker (The Cowboys) 41-25.

We then play a second time a week later....

I change my playbook to San Francisco's Defense Playbook while keeping Bengals offensive playbook...

Second Game, I Win 24-2 and Tony Romo throws 5 Int's and my coworker completed 3 passes combined to his WR's. He's devistated.

A week later after tons of smack talk every day in the office between games...We play again....

Game 3, I use San Francisco Defensive playbook and win 21-0 and my coworker quit in the 3rd QTR!! Room throws 3 INT's

Here is the situation: My Coworker is saying that the playbook and the scheme's improve the players with (zone blitzes and coverages) and give me a sizable advantage over him. He also says that i should not have to use another team's playbook and that i am cheating.

All input is welcomed as we continue to try and solve this very heated office debate....
If this person is your boss... Say nothing. If he can't fire you, say this next time he complains:

1) Yeah, whatever Laura.
2) Find out his mom's 1st name and ask him "Does ________ knows you're still crying like a 3-month old."
3) "Uncanny, that's the same thing I'd say if I got my *** whooped too"
4) "Whatever helps you sleep at night... lol"

Or the best yet... Just laugh hysterically and hand him a box of tissue.

Later

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »