Home

Making Quarterback Awareness Mean Something

This is a discussion on Making Quarterback Awareness Mean Something within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #9
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Making Quarterback Awareness Mean Something

I like the idea. Honestly, I think some variation of that idea may not be far off. If you've played Head Coach before, you'll know that you had to teach your players plays through practice, game plan and such. It's tough to say how that affected the game outcome in HC since you couldn't play the game, but really you only need to bridge the gap between establishing a weekly game plan, practice the plays so the team knows them, and then implement it into the game.

I can eventually see Madden taking on more of a NFL Head Coach game type of angle towards CCM. Some of the ideas from HC are already into CCM now, and I think it's only a matter of time before others follow. Especially with guys from the former HC team workin on Madden and CC
Old 09-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavfan21
Awareness is pointless when using any player and should be. If the other ratings are working correctly (big if) then things should be fine. I think we need to see more actual in-game/on screen effect from low THP, Short accuracy, Med/Deep accuracy.

Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between Mike Vick and Peyton Manning or a back-up scrub. There should be some throws you just are too afraid to try with certain QBs and Madden has never really made me feel that way.
The bold is what the OP's entire post is about. He thinks it should not be pointless. And I wholeheartedly agree with him. Let me know if I misread what you meant by the bold. I could have taken the opposite of what you intended.

OP, great post. This idea has been expressed a couple of times before and I've loved it every time. Congrats on your thoughts. I think it should be in the game. One guy in this thread said make it optional. I could even go with making it optional.

More options the better.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 6

Some good ideas. I think a simple way to do it is that only a certain amount of plays are available based on awareness (maybe a default set).

I like the idea of not being able to see the routes. When you hit pre-play no route should show, OR, even better in the playbook only 1 or 2 players routes are shown. Higher the rating, more is shown.

QB is by far the most important position and is probably the one position where the "best" are head and shoulders above the others. Drew Brees and Tom Brady should play noticablly better than Kevin Kolb or my nemisis Patrick Ramsey. In the past its never been the case.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
Rookie

N O Geaux Getta's Arena

OVR: 0

I've liked the my idea of allowing the QB to see 0-3 defensive players assignment per play.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #13
Rookie

Maitreya's Arena

OVR: 0

Love this idea OP. Love the vision cone too.

To add on to your idea though, the CPU needs to have the ability to take advantage of a QB who only knows a fraction of the plays. The CPU should pick up on the trends in playcalling (what types of plays, what are most likely) and make you pay for only using a limited set of plays.

Great work.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #14
Rookie

The ArkanSaw's Arena

OVR: 11

Best thread on this forum so far.

Some tings i would also like to add is maybe the low awareness QB's should start off with only basic plays then as they get more familiar with the playbook,more advanced plays will be called.

I also would like a pocket awareness rating along with pressure avoidance to take over the movement awareness of the QB's

Pocket Awareness:How fast a QB can make decisions while in the pocket. Guys like Drew Brees will fire the ball immediately and guys like Mark Sanchez would sit there too long. If a guy has a 99 pocket awareness than he will throw to anyone that is open, While a guy with a low rating would eye down receivers and force passes.

Pressure Avoidance:This will make the difference between Big Ben and Peyton Manning night and day in terms of avoiding sacks. It is too easy to sack QB's once you get by the O-Line. If you think you have the drop on Vick he will dodge your tackle and scramble. Then guys like Peyton will just be sitting ducks in the pocket and go down 99% of the time.

Pump Fake Effectiveness: Should've been in the game by now, basically would make certain QB's pump fake actually stun the defense and open other opportunities.

Play recognition: This needs to be in the game. If you run a cover 2 zone all game against the CPU, you should see audibles and adjustments by the QB to attack the middle seems of the field. I remember in madden 09 there was a light bulb that when filled up would allow the player to read the other teams offense/defense for one play. This however should be basic defensive reading. The CPU should adjust to either you blitzing, playing man, or zone. these 3 basic things will allow CPU QB's to know what kind of plays to attack you with.

Peyton Manning:99
Tom Brady;97
Drew Brees:92
Aaron Rodgers:90
Michael Vick:75
Matthew Stafford:78
Cam Newton:74
Andy Dalton:75
Big Ben:80

This rating should make the QB's understanding of defenses combat your schemes and hidden coverages. Guys like Vick wont see a zone blitz coming as easily as Peyton Manning.

Also i would like to see a Pass Rush Recognition for the Center. If he points out defensive players they will glow red to indicate they will be blitzing and you can adjust your line accordingly. The higher the rating the more blitzers the Center can point out and the more accurate the Centers guess was.

This will make centers more valuable to a QB just like how they are in real life.

Last edited by The ArkanSaw; 09-04-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitreya
Love this idea OP. Love the vision cone too.

To add on to your idea though, the CPU needs to have the ability to take advantage of a QB who only knows a fraction of the plays. The CPU should pick up on the trends in playcalling (what types of plays, what are most likely) and make you pay for only using a limited set of plays.

Great work.
Couldnt agree more. How many times do we fall into the trap of calling the same plays over and over that work. (I try my hardest to stay with Gameflow but this year its not as good). Those plays should get taken away cause the AI is picking up on it. In reality crappy QBs would have limited plays and the CPU would take plays away (ie how many times are deep threats taken out of the game when backups come in)
I would love to see a difference in QBs. I remember playing the Saints last year and NO were stuck with their 3rd string (rated 60) making his NFL debut. My settings were fine (it was late season). He completed 40 passes for 500 yard and 5 tds..That should NEVER happen.

Last edited by rayb; 09-04-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ArkanSaw
Best thread on this forum so far.

Some tings i would also like to add is maybe the low awareness QB's should start off with only basic plays then as they get more familiar with the playbook,more advanced plays will be called.

I also would like a pocket awareness rating along with pressure avoidance to take over the movement awareness of the QB's

Pocket Awareness:How fast a QB can make decisions while in the pocket. Guys like Drew Brees will fire the ball immediately and guys like Mark Sanchez would sit there too long. If a guy has a 99 pocket awareness than he will throw to anyone that is open, While a guy with a low rating would eye down receivers and force passes.

Pressure Avoidance:This will make the difference between Big Ben and Peyton Manning night and day in terms of avoiding sacks. It is too easy to sack QB's once you get by the O-Line. If you think you have the drop on Vick he will dodge your tackle and scramble. Then guys like Peyton will just be sitting ducks in the pocket and go down 99% of the time.

Pump Fake Effectiveness: Should've been in the game by now, basically would make certain QB's pump fake actually stun the defense and open other opportunities.

Play recognition: This needs to be in the game. If you run a cover 2 zone all game against the CPU, you should see audibles and adjustments by the QB to attack the middle seems of the field. I remember in madden 09 there was a light bulb that when filled up would allow the player to read the other teams offense/defense for one play. This however should be basic defensive reading. The CPU should adjust to either you blitzing, playing man, or zone. these 3 basic things will allow CPU QB's to know what kind of plays to attack you with.

Peyton Manning:99
Tom Brady;97
Drew Brees:92
Aaron Rodgers:90
Michael Vick:75
Matthew Stafford:78
Cam Newton:74
Andy Dalton:75
Big Ben:80

This rating should make the QB's understanding of defenses combat your schemes and hidden coverages. Guys like Vick wont see a zone blitz coming as easily as Peyton Manning.

Also i would like to see a Pass Rush Recognition for the Center. If he points out defensive players they will glow red to indicate they will be blitzing and you can adjust your line accordingly. The higher the rating the more blitzers the Center can point out and the more accurate the Centers guess was.

This will make centers more valuable to a QB just like how they are in real life.
Would work well for CPU QB's or if they re added the auto pass or put in a true coach mode or GM mode.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »