Home

Making Quarterback Awareness Mean Something

This is a discussion on Making Quarterback Awareness Mean Something within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #33
Rookie

XXL78's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Making Quarterback Awareness Mean Something

I wish that awareness for quarterbacks was meaningful. I also wish I could look off defensive backs with my eyes. The real fact of the matter is that this was too hard for people to do so they took it out of the game.
This is despite the fact that quarterback vision was the most realistic feature ever added to the passing game in madden.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #34
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5

Awareness does mean something though. Haven't you noticed how if you make a bad pass that the higher your awareness rating is the more likely it is that your QB will intentionally throw it off target to avoid it being picked? Where as the lower ranked QB's throw it right at the intended target and do not lead them?
Old 09-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #35
MVP

OVR: 15

Excellent post. I co-sign 100%.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV2k3
Currently the EA QB AWR rating affects the CPU D...

The lower your QBs rating, the better the D plays...

Tighter coverage / reaction / AWR / etc.

It's subtle, but it's there...
Really? Can you share where you read this?
Old 09-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

I love the OPs post. Playbook learning would be great for all positions and having it impact their execution would be great. Could be a way to make PRC useful for offensive players as well.

"Whatever you choose, on gameday, if Tavaris is on the field, you are limited to that percentage of the playbook when calling plays. If you gave him 30% of the playbook, since he only had a 50% chance of learning it, there is a chance that he will not be familiar with half of the plays you call. If one of the unfamiliar plays is called, either one of two things can happen. The pre-snap routes will not display and Tavaris is throwing blind. Or the pre-snap routes will display, but they will not be correct. He may think Stevie Johnson is running a curl, but Stevie might actually be running a fly pattern. "

This alone would be absolutely great.

And, in a way, it is still impacting knowing what's going on during the play, just in a more indirect, anticipatory type way.

I'm all for pretty much anything that gets more of intellectual/instictual/anticipation side of the game into Madden.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV2k3
Currently the EA QB AWR rating affects the CPU D...

The lower your QBs rating, the better the D plays...

Tighter coverage / reaction / AWR / etc.

It's subtle, but it's there...

That being said, OPs idea sounds great...could make for a much more interesting approach to progression in general...

Much more intriguing than the current point system...

So basically like M12...I noticed pretty much the same thing in M12. All else being equal, there were throws I "get away with" on higher AWR players that lower AWR players would get hung out to dry on.

Seems like it was in some part QB AWR and relevant S/M/DAC vs defender(s) AWR and PRC and coverage rating. Are you seeing that in M13?
Old 09-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by football5680
My idea would make it as realistic as possible. When you are actually playing football and call a pass play you always have a #1 target that you are looking for before anybody else. Right now when we call a pass play you have 5 targets from the begginning which is unrealistic.

What they should do is at the start of a passing play the only possible reciever you can throw it to should be that #1 target. Everybody else has no button and nothing will happen when you press those buttons. QB's with high awarness should be able to unlock those recievers much faster than a low awarness guy. So Peyton Manning should actually have the opportunity to pass to that #5 guy if he has decent protection. He is able to read his keys and his checkdown guys should appear much faster than a rookie with low awarness. The low Awarness guy should unlock the other recievers much slower and in the same time it takes Manning to read all his target the low awarness guy can only unlock 2-3 targets.
Although i understand what you're saying, this does take away you taking advantage of a good pre-snap read. Based on my playcall and how the defense lines up my #3 target may become #1 target even before i've snapped the ball. That won't be possible in your solution which imo is exactly what a qb with great awareness should be able to do.

I like the OP idea very much, i'm just not sure if what he suggest should be labeled as 'awareness'. Imo awareness for a qb includes items such as the ability to have good pre-snap reads, feel pressure in the pocket, and 'see' which receiver is open and who isn't.

The OP on the other hand is imo talking about items based on the playbook, such as familiarity with and learning of the playbook, and the impact the (lack of) knowledge of this playbook has on the field. That i would suggest should be in the game like in HC as a playbook learning rating, and that should have a huge impact on your whole team and the way you sign free agents during the season.

In Madden i generally end up quite quickly with the best team in terms of depth. There is no disadvantage in cutting a player in week 3 of the season and signing a FA with a 3 pt better overall. In HC i wouldn't dare to cut a player who finally had learned a decent part of the playbook to sign a better FA on a 1 year deal during the season.

Both awareness and pb learning ability were quite impactfull in HC btw. Jamarcuss Russell had a very low awareness and he could simply stand forever in the pocket and take a sack even though players where open. As for when you signed a fa WR during the week and started him with no pb knowledge you would just see him run the wrong routes.

Imo the op has good ideas which have allready been proven to work decently in football games, so i'm all for it i would just give it a different name.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #40
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenhed
Really? Can you share where you read this?
Didn't read it anywhere...

I've played a couple / few thousand games of Madden versus the CPU over the past 10-12 years, so that is based on personal experience...

It's esp. noticeable if you play a whole season with a rookie and then play with a much higher AWR guy in your next franchise (or vice versa)...

With a low AWR QB, there's usually only one guy open per pass play with a tight window where he's got separation...

With a high AWR QB, there's usually one guy WIDE open and a checkdown...

Since it's based on personal experience (which many have corroborated over the years), I'll simply call it a "theory" and let you guys decide for yourselves...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
So basically like M12...I noticed pretty much the same thing in M12. All else being equal, there were throws I "get away with" on higher AWR players that lower AWR players would get hung out to dry on.

Seems like it was in some part QB AWR and relevant S/M/DAC vs defender(s) AWR and PRC and coverage rating. Are you seeing that in M13?
I've seen it EVERY year...PS2 / PS3 / Etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »