Home

Signature Animations: Where's the Love?

This is a discussion on Signature Animations: Where's the Love? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #9
Rookie

MaxxBoogieWS's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Signature Animations: Where's the Love?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettogeeksta
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nza

....Basically what I'm trying to say is I think the pay off is too small to spend much attention on what is effectively a luxury feature.....

I feel the same way yoo.

No way is the payoff is too small! The main signature animations that need to be added are BEFORE and DURING play. Before plays players (skill players mostly) stances are different, some of them move around a certain way, some of them do a little dances and gestures (especially on punt returns.)

Quarterbacks stances are different, they move different and do signature movements before the snap. Their drop back movements are different, pocket movement is different, also some of them react differently when penalties are called and when they turn the ball over, and we all know their releases is different.
And they need to add signature running styles for all players! Can't stand seeing Randy Moss and Ted Ginn run like Darren Sproles. After play celebrations and reactions need work too, more variety of different reactions, get rid of the cut scenes! Tried of seeing the same ones over and over. All NBA 2K celebrations are real time and they don't get breaks between plays!
But like some one else said, NBA 2K had a better foundation than Madden, while Madden is still trying to get the basics down, NBA 2K was making 3 versions of Micheal Jordan play differently, just like he did in real life and adding entire classic teams.
I agree with your ideas that we need new animations but I think the payoff is too small because if we do get all of these new animations, I'm afraid that EA will just add one new thing and fix one problem (infinity engine) and update the MUT or Career Mode.

There are still more things that need to be done to Madden like having CBs, that are good, not get beat easily in man coverage by a certain route. Some routes still look glitchy, the o-line and d-line battle isn't a good representation of what happens in the NFL, and I would like to see stock defensive blitz look like how they would in the NFL (players showing blitz automatically, disguising your own coverages with pre-play adjustments).

None of these things, or any other non-presentation problem, will get fixed or added by EA. Look at the difference from M12 to M13, updated MUT and Career and add the Infinity Engine. EA can only do so much in a year. The payoff is little RIGHT NOW because of all the other problems they still have to change.They'll get it right in another Madden soon but I don't think it would be M25.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:20 AM   #10
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Love this thread and all the comments so far. I just think so far these guys aren't even thinking about this stuff. Maybe they are but they haven't shown it. I'd love to see receivers catch the ball different, run routes differently, line up differently, ect. Madden is just so generic it's sickening. Even the sig celebrations they tried to have looked awful sometimes(Aaron Rodgers celebration anyone? LMAO). I just hope the increase in ram, new engine, and better focus allows for the type of quality detailed animations an NFL sim style game deserves.

Also I think they need better mo-cap directions, or better talent. Some of the animations don't even look high school level.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 05-12-2013, 12:49 AM   #11
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

I think Signature Animations would be cool. Running, throwing, lineman stance, receiver stance, etc. My only issue/concern is that there would have to be an over-abundance of generics to go along with these to make it work IMO. That might sound a little crazy but I just think of it like this: You have all these player specific animations and such but where does it all go after these guys are gone? I look at MVP Baseball. They have a ton of player specific batting stances but only like five generic ones. So once you get some seasons in, everybody has one of five stances.

They're player specific animations, because they're player specific. I don't want to see Mr. Generico batting like Ken Griffey Jr or Ichiro. I don't want to see a running back down the line with Walter Payton's high knee's or a quarterback with Tim Tebow's around the world throwing motion. I also don't want to see every player with the same couple generic ones and after a bunch of seasons, you've lost all player individuality. No doubt though, I'm all for this stuff and having things that might be small, but are beyond deep and add a lot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #12
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

along these lines....i wanna see more variability with players during pre-post play....the way they line up...react to an audible....adjust an arm band....tie a shoe....help a player tuck his shoulder pad in his jersey....all the *little things* you see players doing pre-post play.

#immersion
Old 05-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #13
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Basically what I'm trying to say is I think the pay off is too small to spend much attention on what is effectively a luxury feature. Not only does it have more of a pay off in an NBA game, but 2K are clearly far more on top of their franchise than EA are with Madden and they've been able to focus on the small details, after having gotten the big stuff mostly right since 2005 or so.

Madden, on the other hand, is still liable to be thrown away and rewritten from scratch.
I agree that player likeness plays a more prominent role in the NBA, but it still has its place in the NFL.

I don't consider signature animations a luxury feature -- I truly believe it's a standard feature for today's sports games.

To me, all starting QBs should be mimicked. Then, unique but generic animations could be extended to other players. For example, Sage mentioned how not all receivers catch the ball the same. Why not have a generic package of animations for receivers that catch passes against their body? Ditto receivers that use their hands and pluck the ball out of the air?

Madden has been too generic for far too long IMO.

A bonus to sig animations is that they add a learning curve to the game. I recall in M10 being conditioned to Romo's quick release. Then, getting creamed with Matt Ryan b/c he had a longer wind-up. Loved that.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #14
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
I think Signature Animations would be cool. Running, throwing, lineman stance, receiver stance, etc. My only issue/concern is that there would have to be an over-abundance of generics to go along with these to make it work IMO. That might sound a little crazy but I just think of it like this: You have all these player specific animations and such but where does it all go after these guys are gone? I look at MVP Baseball. They have a ton of player specific batting stances but only like five generic ones. So once you get some seasons in, everybody has one of five stances.
I understand your position; I'm actually one who doesn't mind the animations being recycled so to speak. So for example, when I drafted a QB in M10-M12, I didn't mind assigning him Derek Anderson's throwing animation. I consider them a library of animations that when used bring variety to the game. If Troy Richard comes out in the 2015 draft and is assigned Tom Brady's throw animation, I have no problem with that.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #15
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles36
I agree that player likeness plays a more prominent role in the NBA, but it still has its place in the NFL.

I don't consider signature animations a luxury feature -- I truly believe it's a standard feature for today's sports games.

To me, all starting QBs should be mimicked. Then, unique but generic animations could be extended to other players. For example, Sage mentioned how not all receivers catch the ball the same. Why not have a generic package of animations for receivers that catch passes against their body? Ditto receivers that use their hands and pluck the ball out of the air?

Madden has been too generic for far too long IMO.

A bonus to sig animations is that they add a learning curve to the game. I recall in M10 being conditioned to Romo's quick release. Then, getting creamed with Matt Ryan b/c he had a longer wind-up. Loved that.

YES YES YES!!!!!!! All the receivers catch the ball strictly with their hands for the most part. The transition animations are almost non existent so the players usually just snap into the running animation after a catch. I'd love to see players bring the ball in as they catch it, guys who catch the ball with their body. We should see different play action animations for different QB's. Some guys should be able to sell it better. This game could be soooo much deeper. All Qb's have the same walk up animation, all lineman get set the same, like these are little things that should be there. I hope this next gen the animation library is increased and we can really get immersed in discovering all the animations. So much personality in the NFL, and you would never be able to tell playing Madden. Really Really hope they focus on this next gen and take it to another level.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #16
You know why I'm here...

jWILL253's Arena

OVR: 25

This thread just makes you wonder what exactly does EA Tiburon do for 10 months out of the year. They have as much development time as all the other studios, yet 2K, other EA Sports studios, San Diego Studios, and Konami run circles around Tiburon. Games representing other sports are way more nuanced, detailed and intricate, while Madden waited until this year to try to get jukes right.

Hell, maybe AJ Dembroski was right. Maybe there is a certain person or group of people in Tiburon bogging everything down over there...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »