Home

Signature Animations: Where's the Love?

This is a discussion on Signature Animations: Where's the Love? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34
Signature Animations: Where's the Love?

If you're at all familiar w/ me, you may be aware that the regression of signature animations in M13 is just one of the reasons I haven't logged much time with this game. They do exist in M13 [to be fair], but they work infrequently.

And no one really talks about it, even when M13 was in full swing.

Signature animations are the standard for sports games these days, and personally, they're a cornerstone of my immersion.

So why have this conversation now? Well, I fired up my copy of NBA2K. Sure, we all know that they carry the torch for signature animations and player likeness. But it wasn't til yesterday that I ventured into the 'edit player' option to do some tweaking to LBJ.

And it broke my heart when I saw the sheer number of options for signature shots. Shooting form. Shot base. Fadeaway. Contested. Escape dribble pull up. Momentum shots (3 separate categories). Post shots (8 separate categories).

Those are just the shots. That doesn't include customization options for dribble moves, 10+ dunk & layup packages, or even the 50+ tendency options.

That got me to thinking about Madden, and I know football & basketball are different sports. But we've been accustomed to one signature throwing animation for QBs. One. And if you threw a contested pass, a very short pass, or a very long one, you drew a generic animation. Shouldn't there be a Matt Ryan short pass? Matt Ryan long pass? Matt Ryan medium pass? Matt Ryan under duress pass? Matt Ryan pocket stance [that functions properly]?

And signature animations should certainly be extended to more than just QBs. How about running/catching packages for offensive skilled positions? Different back-pedaling styles for DBs? That's just a short list.

My point is signature animations made their Madden debut w/ M10 and have largely been ignored ever sense. I know Madden has a ways to go in several areas, but improvement to signature animations should be right up there if this game is to be mentioned in the same breath as some of the elite sports games.

Your feelings on signature animations, and the lack thereof?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
Rookie

TOmuch81's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Signature Animations: Where's the Love?

I agree. This was a nice feature and seems kind of ignored since M10. This feature could really add some immersion to the game. Is this the same Madden that had all the unique running styles in it as well?
Old 05-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOmuch81
I agree. This was a nice feature and seems kind of ignored since M10. This feature could really add some immersion to the game. Is this the same Madden that had all the unique running styles in it as well?
I think there were handful of different running animations in the game that year, as there have been in recent years. But we've had no ability to customize them, which kinda defeats the purpose.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
Rookie

NikeBlitz's Arena

OVR: 6

I didn't play 2K13 a lot, but i remember when i created my player for my career mode, i almost quit when i saw the number of possibilities lol.

We definitely need some in Madden.

And more signature celebrations for authenticity sake

Spoiler
Old 05-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
Rookie

MaxxBoogieWS's Arena

The signature animations are the reason why people say NBA2k is a great game. The reactions you get when hitting a buzzer beater in NBA2k vary alot. So do the reactions for dunking, getting fouls, and other things in the also get a different reaction more than half of the time.

But in Madden I am pretty sure people have seen players do the exact same celebration for a touchdown or have seen the same conversation 2 players have after a big hit. Madden really lacks a variety of reactions but I can understand why. These reactions with the players on the field are for presentation or like adding makeup to the game. Madden focuses on what leads up to a reaction alot more (even though that was still messed up this year).

I don't see Madden adding as much signature animations as NBA2k until they think that the actual gameplay is where it should be at. NBA2k can put alot of work into that department because their gameplay is good and they fix most of the little problems with updates. Madden updating is usually for the roster or 1 big problem in the game while all the other problems are untouched until next year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

I think the NBA identifies more with the individual athlete than the NFL when it comes to signature moves, visual tendencies etc. I think the last true visual signature in the NFL was Favre and his occasional desperation pass/flick/toss that ended well.

That's not to say that each player doesn't have his own passing mechanics, favorite open field move etc, it just isn't as prominent to the average fan as the NBA. In the NFL it is more about the team and their signature plays, which combines strengths of their players (fade to CJ in the end zone, screen to Welker etc).

Basically what I'm trying to say is I think the pay off is too small to spend much attention on what is effectively a luxury feature. Not only does it have more of a pay off in an NBA game, but 2K are clearly far more on top of their franchise than EA are with Madden and they've been able to focus on the small details, after having gotten the big stuff mostly right since 2005 or so.

Madden, on the other hand, is still liable to be thrown away and rewritten from scratch.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #7
Rookie

MaxxBoogieWS's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
....Basically what I'm trying to say is I think the pay off is too small to spend much attention on what is effectively a luxury feature.....
I feel the same way yoo.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:02 PM   #8
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nza

....Basically what I'm trying to say is I think the pay off is too small to spend much attention on what is effectively a luxury feature.....

I feel the same way yoo.

No way is the payoff is too small! The main signature animations that need to be added are BEFORE and DURING play. Before plays players (skill players mostly) stances are different, some of them move around a certain way, some of them do a little dances and gestures (especially on punt returns.)

Quarterbacks stances are different, they move different and do signature movements before the snap. Their drop back movements are different, pocket movement is different, also some of them react differently when penalties are called and when they turn the ball over, and we all know their releases is different.
And they need to add signature running styles for all players! Can't stand seeing Randy Moss and Ted Ginn run like Darren Sproles. After play celebrations and reactions need work too, more variety of different reactions, get rid of the cut scenes! Tried of seeing the same ones over and over. All NBA 2K celebrations are real time and they don't get breaks between plays!
But like some one else said, NBA 2K had a better foundation than Madden, while Madden is still trying to get the basics down, NBA 2K was making 3 versions of Micheal Jordan play differently, just like he did in real life and adding entire classic teams.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »