Home

Signature Animations: Where's the Love?

This is a discussion on Signature Animations: Where's the Love? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #17
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Signature Animations: Where's the Love?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles36
I understand your position; I'm actually one who doesn't mind the animations being recycled so to speak. So for example, when I drafted a QB in M10-M12, I didn't mind assigning him Derek Anderson's throwing animation. I consider them a library of animations that when used bring variety to the game. If Troy Richard comes out in the 2015 draft and is assigned Tom Brady's throw animation, I have no problem with that.
Yeah, I'm the same way to a certain extent. I don't mind them being recycled, I just feel like there are some that are so unique that they shouldn't be recycled if that makes sense. If it came down to it though, I doubt there'd be much of a complaint from me. I'll take it over generics.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #18
Pro

Trick13's Arena

OVR: 0

While I understand the guys who are fearful of EA spending time on "signature animations" cuz you are thinking "what is going to suffer?" - I still say we need to hold them to a higher standard...

QB throwing motions really need to be "signature" - Vick has such a smooth and easy motion even when throwing deep passes - he never seems to do that duck and thrust motion that is in Madden, Romo has a super quick release, Manning and throws wobblers but has a quick release, Tebow can't play QB cuz his throwing motion is a full 60 percent longer than the NFL average and he can't hit the broad side of a barn to boot...

Having a QB with a slower release should impact your play, you should have to anticipate throws more, passes under duress should be more difficult and so forth, quick release passers should be an advantage...

...and that makes "signature animations" essential!!!

I really want to see celebrations included within edit player and there should be tons of options - as we have tons of buttons to work with - certain players should have "signature" ones, say on the triggers, then the rest of the buttons should be available to "set".

With all kinds of options like;
"find ref and hand/toss him the ball",
point to the heavens,
kiss finger/touch to heart/point to sky,
dunk over cross bar (requires reach/jmp minimums)
generic spike
behind the back spike
between the legs spike (complete with groin injury risk JK)
fire ball at wall
hand ball to fans
Lambeau Leap
Salute
Karate Bow
crazy legs
breakdance moves - wave through arms
chest bump, flying high five, flying shoulder collision, Top Gun high/low
E-girls fade away shot over cross bar
and the "dances" Ray Lewis, Prime Time, Ochocinco river dance
snow angel, slide out back of endzone in wet/snow field
reverse jam over cross bar
back flip

Point is give the user the ability to customize celebrations, with no on screen cue...
Old 05-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #19
Pro

adub88's Arena

OVR: 12

EA's animations are best described as herky jerky and robotic. I'm convinced they just don't have the know how or tech. 2k is so far ahead of them in animation department alone, forget signature animations. This is why the game gets stale so quickly after the honeymoon period wears off. How long have we asked for a decent running animation??? It's just frustrating they're the only show in town. 2k5 on ps2 had better animations than most of the current gem Maddens
Old 05-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #20
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

It looks like Cutlet just threw a baseball, lmao.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 05-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #21
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Good post.

You have to at least do the qb's. The pocket movement, qb accuracy, throwing animations, and realease times of the qb's are pertinent to any football simulation. It is hard for me to play madden for more than a month or two for this reason. Signature qb's should be a must on all future madden's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles36
I agree that player likeness plays a more prominent role in the NBA, but it still has its place in the NFL.

I don't consider signature animations a luxury feature -- I truly believe it's a standard feature for today's sports games.

To me, all starting QBs should be mimicked. Then, unique but generic animations could be extended to other players. For example, Sage mentioned how not all receivers catch the ball the same. Why not have a generic package of animations for receivers that catch passes against their body? Ditto receivers that use their hands and pluck the ball out of the air?

Madden has been too generic for far too long IMO.

A bonus to sig animations is that they add a learning curve to the game. I recall in M10 being conditioned to Romo's quick release. Then, getting creamed with Matt Ryan b/c he had a longer wind-up. Loved that.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2013, 05:04 AM   #22
Banned

OVR: 10

Love the idea. Id love to ADs violent smash mouth running style compared to CJ2k's real life finesse swerve running.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:27 AM   #23
MVP

OVR: 3

I actually think the animations in NBA 2K can be a downside to the game if you aren't really a hardcore player. There are so many of them to learn and get used to that it's almost too immersive for someone who may not play the game much.

That being said, Madden needs to at least take a few steps in that direction, to give the game more authenticity and more variety.

I guess one thing at a time right? This year it's foot planting, a few years ago it was simply getting the ball to spin right, lol. I don't think we'll be seeing Marshawn's wide base beast mode anytime soon.

Last edited by RandyBass; 05-13-2013 at 05:38 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #24
Pro

brza37's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
I really want to see celebrations included within edit player and there should be tons of options - as we have tons of buttons to work with - certain players should have "signature" ones, say on the triggers, then the rest of the buttons should be available to "set".

With all kinds of options like;
"find ref and hand/toss him the ball",
point to the heavens,
kiss finger/touch to heart/point to sky,
dunk over cross bar (requires reach/jmp minimums)
generic spike
behind the back spike
between the legs spike (complete with groin injury risk JK)
fire ball at wall
hand ball to fans
Lambeau Leap
Salute
Karate Bow
crazy legs
breakdance moves - wave through arms
chest bump, flying high five, flying shoulder collision, Top Gun high/low
E-girls fade away shot over cross bar
and the "dances" Ray Lewis, Prime Time, Ochocinco river dance
snow angel, slide out back of endzone in wet/snow field
reverse jam over cross bar
back flip

Point is give the user the ability to customize celebrations, with no on screen cue...
I've been saying this for years too. I don't understand why this was possible in 2k5 but can't be done in Madden 13. Then the one year when they implemented some sort of control over user celebrations they did it with neon-colored "hot zones". Why not just map them to buttons? Customization is king.

Here's a link to my game changer idea but it hasn't gotten much support so far, :
http://mgi-gc.easports.com/a/dtd/Use...s/393413-18503

Commissioner of Sim Madden League Europe. Established league for sim players in Europe. Join here:
SML - Europe PS4 Madden Online Franchise

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »