Home

MLB 2K9 Post-Patch Impressions (360 & PS3 merged)

This is a discussion on MLB 2K9 Post-Patch Impressions (360 & PS3 merged) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #233
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Official Patch 2 Available, Impressions Here (360 Only)

I've played two games with the patch. I was disappointed after my first, but feel much better about my second.

There a two big changes on the pitching side. First, the gesture is far more sensitive. User-thrown pitches can end up all over the place. There is a catch, though. The computer is more likely to swing at what it things is a poorly thrown pitch. When you do nail the motion, though, the computer will take. I've seen some terrific at-bats and have a real fear of screwing up against opposing hitters. User-issued walks are entirely possible, especially if you want to avoid grooving one to a great hitter.

Fielding is definitely smoother, in both the infield and outfield.

And, this cannot be understated -- the smooth transitions into batting stances (no more "snap") us beautiful and allows Signature Styles to shine through.

With the patch, MLB 2K9 is head and shoulders above 2K8. It's a solid B+ game in my opinion, and will carry me through the baseball season (easily). It also excites me for the prospects of the series.

Visual Concepts is taking the MLB 2K franchise seriously, and it shows.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:19 PM   #234
Banned

~Guru~'s Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Official Patch 2 Available, Impressions Here (360 Only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
All the NEW Sliders interact with each other & not knowing how they effect each other is what's frustrating:

Inside Edge Influence
Pitcher Handedness
Batter Success

Inside Edge Influence just relates to how much of the edge tendencies do you want the outcome to have...

Pitcher Hand relates to how a hitter performace vs a lefty or righty pitcher

Batter Success relates to the outcome of an at bat...the higher it is the higher percentage you get of the hitter hitting successfully...
Old 04-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #235
MVP

JHedges2's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgkeeper
Can someone please confirm that the flyball issue (not the slowdown, but where the ball would just go over the players' heads) has been completely or partially resolved? This was the game-killer for me.

I had a John Maine no-hitter (in the 6th) broken up by one of these things.

Thanks...can't wait to get home and load it up!
Confirmed. lol, haven't had the issue once, OR the 1B issue.

Just competed my first ACTUAL FULL game (10 innings actually).

Yankees 2 vs Twins 0 (cpu)

Took me until the 10th to score any runs (PLAYING ON DEFAULT LEGEND SLIDERS). Things I noticed, there was hardly ANY offense throughout the entire game, I had 10 hits (in 10 inn) and ALL of them were singles. They had 5 hits, all were singles.

Players in the field were far too fast, and it is still too hard to get any K's.

Here are my pitchers stats (lol)...

A.J. Burnett: 9 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 5 K (89 pitches between the 2)
M. Rivera: 1 IP, 3 H

S. Baker: 10 IP, 10 H, 2 ER, 1 K (59 pitches in 10 innings lol)

Last edited by JHedges2; 04-04-2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: added pitch counts...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2009, 12:29 PM   #236
MVP

DrUrsus's Arena

OVR: 46

Guys. Please start with default sliders on whatever level you are playing on to get a feel for the game "out of the box" now, post your impressions, then start tweaking sliders. The old sliders you were using aren't going to work the same (I would imagine). It doesn't make sense to me to give impressions based on sliders that will need to be changed most likely.

I really think this would be more beneficial, but just my opinion. I am really trying to decide if I want to buy this game as a second baseball game since I have The Show. I liked some things I saw on the demo, but just couldn't get over the CPU batting aggressiveness problem. Is it better?

How does MLB 2K9 now compare to MLB 2K8? Is it definitely better?
Old 04-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #237
Banned

~Guru~'s Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrUrsus
Guys. Please start with default sliders on whatever level you are playing on to get a feel for the game "out of the box" now, post your impressions, then start tweaking sliders. The old sliders you were using aren't going to work the same (I would imagine). It doesn't make sense to me to give impressions based on sliders that will need to be changed most likely.

I really think this would be more beneficial, but just my opinion. I am really trying to decide if I want to buy this game as a second baseball game since I have The Show. I liked some things I saw on the demo, but just couldn't get over the CPU batting aggressiveness problem. Is it better?

How does MLB 2K9 now compare to MLB 2K8? Is it definitely better?

i started with my old pre patch sliders and have tweak a few things around and i am getting good results right now..

getting a feel for the gameplay as it feels more organic now

also 2k9 pre patch was a million times better then the garbage that was 2k8
Old 04-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #238
Rookie

OVR: 2

For what it's worth, here are my impressions.

I played a full 9 inning game with the Sox vs. the Rays. (Finally got my franchise started.) Beckett lasted 7 innings, and I struck out 7 and walked 3. The most important part of this? I took out Beckett because has was at pitch 98 and started getting tired. Yup... I threw 98 pitches in 7 innings. Awesome.

I threw out ~10 batters at first and never had the glitch.

I caught the other 11 outs in the outfield and never had any problems with the outfielders.

At the plate I got 6 hits and drove in a run off a single + steal with Jacoby and a follow-up single from Dustin.

All in all, I ended up losing the game 2-1 off a string of hits by the Rays off Saito and Okajima.

This is all with on the All-Star setting, so no custom sliders. I would definitely say the patch has worked wonders for me. The last game I played I won 15-1 with no strikeouts and 7 homeruns on the All-Star settings (same teams involved). I'm a very happy camper.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:34 PM   #239
MVP

JHedges2's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Guru~
i started with my old pre patch sliders and have tweak a few things around and i am getting good results right now..

getting a feel for the gameplay as it feels more organic now

also 2k9 pre patch was a million times better then the garbage that was 2k8
On the sliders page, the first post, is that your most current set? Wanna give your NEWEST set a try bro.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:35 PM   #240
Rookie

OVR: 5

ok i downloaded the patch this morning. works great. the outfielders and infielders were fluid,and had no problems with fly balls. ai was still a bit aggressive,but i think it was because i wasnt doing the motion correctly. the only thing that sucks is that it froze, and when i triedto turn it back on i found that i had the red ring of death. now it will take 3 weeks to get it back. ugh,i just waited a month to startmy franchise, and now i have to wait more weeks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »