Home

MLB 2K9 Post-Patch Impressions (360 & PS3 merged)

This is a discussion on MLB 2K9 Post-Patch Impressions (360 & PS3 merged) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-04-2009, 09:34 PM   #321
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Official Patch 2 Available, Impressions Here (360 Only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgoi
See, I disagree with you here. When a pitcher is pitching IRL, do they see a marker saying how good their gesture was? No. They know how they are doing by the location of the pitch. When you see your pitches all over the place, you know you need to focus more on your gesture, simple as that. Make sure you focus a lot and you'll be ok, but otherwise, I'm really liking the changes via the patch.
This IS a game, and even w/ MLB2K8 knowing the gesture didn't make pitching any easier w/ the slider set I was using.

I was throwing fastballs which were moving what seemed a foot away from where I was locating the pitch. Again...fastballs, a fairly easy gesture, and w/ Joe Blanton who locates his fastball rather well. He's been my best pitcher so I can't imagine what it will be like pitching w/ Cole Hamels; who've I've been getting killed with.

It was probably my sliders, w/ the gesture slider maxed out. I cut it in half though, and things were a little better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belljr
like most of things that were addressed.

HOWEVER, I'm finding it hard to now turn DP's. I never had a problem before but my guys don't seem to fire the ball around like they did prior.

Homeplate/ Base detection and tag-ups still "broke".
As for DP's, I got two to end the 1st and 2nd inning against the Nats; which had been a first for me so far.

Did have an issue running the bases, and I don't know what to make of it.

Situation was Blaton, who led off the inning, hit a texas leaguer into shallow left. Then Rollins doubled off the LF wall, and I never tried sending Blanton home BUT he turned third and was tagged out by Zimmerman.

Did he overrun the bag? Was this what that was supposed to simulate?

Or was it just a glitch of somekind? It looked like Blanton's foot never even left the bag, and the Nats fielder just threw to third as a precaution, not trying to actually get him out.

I tried to view the replay, but you gotta be quick on that; I was unsuccesful.

Tried stealing w/ Werth too, and was thrown out by a MILE. He was ONLY halfway down the basepath by the time the throw came. This is with baserunner speed at 60. Can't imagine having to go higher.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #322
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Official Patch 2 Available, Impressions Here (360 Only)

Just installed the patch.

Positives:

The animations seem much smoother, especially the batter walkups.

Outfield plays are smoother.

No more 1st base glitch.

Pickoffs are much better now.

Negatives:

AI seems a little less aggressive, but still too aggressive. However, I'm guessing this has to do with the fact that I probably suck at the gestures I turned the gesture slider down and it seems better, but still not quite right. I also tried switching to classic pitching and that didn't help either. I'm still getting low pitch counts and not very many strikeouts, even though I'm nibbling the corners.

Maybe sliders will help? I'm just using stock All Star right now.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:44 PM   #323
Rookie

jbrown's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
Tried stealing w/ Werth too, and was thrown out by a MILE. He was ONLY halfway down the basepath by the time the throw came. This is with baserunner speed at 60. Can't imagine having to go higher.

I have baserunner speed at 90 and I have only stolen 1 out of 6 bases with ellsbury. I think you HAVE TO steal on an off speed pitch. All 6 of my attempts were on fastballs or pitch outs. The only one that was successful was on a bad throw.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:58 PM   #324
Pro

dragon4ever's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: MLB 2K9 Patch#2 OUT NOW...Impressions (360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic78
ur not kidding....im totally let down so far. hopefully its just me and my pitching to the meter skills. either way, the cpu swung at every first pitch regardless. what a joke.
That isn't the case with me. I get the CPU looking all the time. As a matter of fact, I'm averaging 8+ strikeouts a game so far with the pitching staff of the Braves.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #325
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4ever
That isn't the case with me. I get the CPU looking all the time. As a matter of fact, I'm averaging 8+ strikeouts a game so far with the pitching staff of the Braves.
What difficulty are you using? Stock or custom sliders?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2009, 10:03 PM   #326
Rookie

DaveMN's Arena

OVR: 2

I just had my most enjoyable game of console baseball ever- a 4-3 Twins victory over the Orioles in 16 innings. I haven't played The Show, but this is the best baseball game (post patch) that I've played yet.

Only 2 gripes:
1) It seems rollers get by my outfielders to the wall if I'm not in EXACTLY the right position. Too touchy for me. Any suggestions on this?
2) I'd like better automatic AI control of my team's base runners. I've had guys thrown out advancing from 1st to 2nd on base hits. I guess I should be advancing them manually, but I don't care for that.

Overall: Excellent!
Old 04-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #327
Pro

dragon4ever's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
What difficulty are you using? Stock or custom sliders?
I'm playing on default All Star.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:09 PM   #328
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4ever
I'm playing on default All Star.
I'm only getting a few strikeouts per game, but I think it's because I'm not that great with the gestures.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »