Home

MLB 2K11 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (PS3/360)

This is a discussion on MLB 2K11 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (PS3/360) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #209
Rookie

OVR: 0
re: MLB 2K11 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (PS3/360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tully
Only have one thing to say after playing this. Its hard to understand how a company who made arguably one of if not the best sports game ever in NBA2k11 can put this out. I know it is another development team but I don't see how they get away with it every season for baseball.

I agree. With the standard being set with MLB The Show I figured 2k would set the bar pretty high with this year's release. Yes, there have been improvements across the board, but visually and technically it still pales in comparison (which is ridiculous to me)

I'll still purchase 2k11 and will have tons of fun with it. I quite enjoyed 2k10. Its just that I expected better.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #210
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I played one game in the demo just now. Bear in mind with my impressions that I haven't played a baseball game in years; only one I've ever owned is Major League Baseball for the Sega Game Gear, lol.

I thoroughly enjoy the pitching mechanic, and I found it reasonably challenging. Using Sanchez of the Giants, in three innings I allowed four hits and one run. I did get better as the game went on, the top of the order for the Rangers had me concerned in the first inning, getting three of the hits and with Nelson Cruz getting an RBI double.

I didn't quite get the hang of the fielding, though I see what the idea is. I played the throwing meter quite conservatively most of the time, which resulted in some lazy throws. Playing around with it, I did get it into the red one time on a play at first from a grounder fielded by the pitcher in the infield, and the first baseman had to go up high for it; still got the out though.

On the AI's side of the fielding, I did see them throw one error on a play at first, where the first baseman had to come off the bag to get a ball and as a result I reached base safely on an error.

The one thing that has always frustrated me with baseball games, however, is that I can't hit the ball to save my life. I'm not overly familiar with the game, and as such I struggle to identify pitches and end up swinging wildly at everything. I ask to those more familiar with the MLB2K games, does the full game typically include a batting tutorial or assist feature? Is there a way where I could just have the computer handle the batting altogether? I think I would enjoy the full game just with the pitching, fielding, and franchise mode portions (assuming 2K has a good franchise mode for this game, I'll need to look into that), but if I can't ever score a run let alone get on base that would obviously limit the appeal of the game to me, lol.

I did enjoy my time with the demo though. I'd say that it's easily better than the Game Gear game I played fifteen years ago, lol.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #211
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

I've seen a couple people mention the floaty or not-impactful-enough fastballs, and I would agree, but isn't it weird that the fastballs look so good and have zip coming in while hitting, but just don't have the same "oomph" when pitching? I would chalk it up to just the camera angle, but I don't know if that is the only factor.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2011, 05:45 PM   #212
Banned

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
I've seen a couple people mention the floaty or not-impactful-enough fastballs, and I would agree, but isn't it weird that the fastballs look so good and have zip coming in while hitting, but just don't have the same "oomph" when pitching? I would chalk it up to just the camera angle, but I don't know if that is the only factor.
Sometimes they have it set at different speeds for pitching and hitting.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #213
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Yeah, it's odd. I'm sure that camera angle plays a role (pitches seem to have a bit more zip from the hitters perspective in the other game as well). I'm just not sure why it's always been so extreme here though.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #214
Rookie

OVR: 0
Pitching I don't mind, the batting is terrible. Its just a real poor game all-round
Old 03-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #215
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Sometimes they have it set at different speeds for pitching and hitting.
Agree, I usally set pith speed higher.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #216
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakitdown
Pitching I don't mind, the batting is terrible. Its just a real poor game all-round
Tell us how you really feel

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »