Home

2011 Atlanta Braves

This is a discussion on 2011 Atlanta Braves within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-17-2011, 06:05 PM   #17
All Star

jt45's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: 2011 Atlanta Braves

Had the pleasure of working with Mike Morgan on a TV broadcast this past weekend. For those of you that aren't familiar with Mike, he hosts the pre and post game shows on 680 in Atlanta.

We touched on a lot of different aspects, but one of the most notable things he commented on was the status of Jordan Schafer. He mentioned that when he works Gwinnett games with Brian Jordan, the minor league coaches talk to Jordan about stuff they won't say to media guys. Supposedly, Schafer has a horrible attitude and that is a huge reason why he has struggled so much. The injury was also a huge factor, but his lack of popularity in the club house and with the coaching staff isn't helping his return. Apparently, he got a pretty big head in his short time with the big club.

Morgan also mentioned that the organization is 100% confident with the roster it has right now. Might add a backup outfielder such as Andruw Jones, but otherwise everything is a go for ST.

He said everyone he has talked to has raved about Freeman's ability at 1B and that he should do well from the get-go. He also mentioned that there is no rush to add any pitching because the club feels like the trio of Vizcaino/Delgado/Teheran is the best trio in the minors of any club and that those three can make an impact this season.

Overall, a pretty interesting conversation. He's a huge fan of Minor and Beachy and doesn't see any reason why both won't be major parts of the big club this season.

Lastly, he mentioned that the word he has heard is that McLouth is going to get every chance to hit lead-off or in the two hole. Heyward is going to move down, probably to 6th.

McLouth
Prado
Chipper
Mac
Uggla
Heyward
Gonzalez
Freeman
Pitcher

Something along those lines.

Talking to him got me ever more pumped for the new season. I think our club is jacked and if we can sign Andruw or Schafer gives us anything, I think we are set.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:09 PM   #18
Burrow Club

Watson's Arena

OVR: 49
Rodger That, jt. All systems are a go.

@AdamdotH
Old 01-18-2011, 02:26 AM   #19
All Star

OVR: 8

Sounds good jt. Kind of amazing a guy can get a big head when he only hit .200 with 2 homeruns in 50 games.

If McClouth can return to the way he played in Pitt it will be good having him there at the top as a potential base stealer. Can probably work some hit and runs with Prado hitting behind him too.

I think it's going to help having J-Hey in the 6 spot. He didn't seem like he's quite ready to be that #3 hitter we're all hoping he will be, but I like the looks of this lineup if we have someone of his caliber hitting 6.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #20
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

I'm not surprised of Schafer's attitude. I say get as much now for him since he's still considered "green". I thought Chipper wouldn't be ready until mid-year though...?
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:06 PM   #21
I can't feel it

Jgainsey's Arena

OVR: 22

Hopefully Schafer can get his head out of his arse and contribute something in the near future.. It's not like we have any great options in the organization at CF. I won't right him off just yet though. I'm sure it can be pretty frustrating to deal with injuries like his when you were so close to earning a spot in the bigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
I'm not surprised of Schafer's attitude. I say get as much now for him since he's still considered "green". I thought Chipper wouldn't be ready until mid-year though...?
Everything I've read this off season is pointing to a ST return for Chipper. It sounds like Chipper seriously thinks he'll be in the lineup to start the season. I guess we'll know for sure soon enough.

Also, it looks like everyone up for arbitration has settled up. From DOB's blog...

Quote:
Braves pitcher Jair Jurrjens and second baseman-turned-left fielder Martin Prado saw their salaries soar from below $500,000 to above $3 million after agreeing to one-year deals Tuesday and avoiding arbitration.

Relief pitchers Peter Moylan ($2 million) and Eric O’Flaherty ($895,000) also agreed to terms as the Braves again avoided going to hearings with any of their four arbitration-eligible players who had been unsigned...
http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-...illion-apiece/
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #22
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Good to hear. 3 mil each for Jurrjens and Prado is more than fair.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #23
All Star

jt45's Arena

Big prospect camp going on over the next few days. I know Julio Teheran, Randall Delgado, Arodys Vizcaino, Matt Lipka, Tyler Pastornicky and Edward Salcedo are all there. I'm sure there are more.

Good to get those guys some time in the Ted. I think the hope is that it won't be such a shocker for them when they get there sooner than later. We could potentially see four of those guys in ATL this year (not Lipka or Salcedo, obviously).
Old 01-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #24
All Star

jt45's Arena

Braves interested in Jorge Cantu?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...rge-cantu.html

I like the idea, but what roster spot does he take? Doesn't Hinske provide what Cantu would bring?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »