Home

2019 Atlanta Braves

This is a discussion on 2019 Atlanta Braves within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-21-2019, 02:36 AM   #89
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: 2019 Atlanta Braves

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
Andrelton Simmons for two prospects, Newcomb and I literally can't remember the other.

SP Chris Ellis was the other prospect. He pitched @ Ole Miss. He's with the Royals now.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

RIP Pat Summitt: We will all miss you!

Jeremiah 29:11
Old 03-21-2019, 07:41 AM   #90
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
Andrelton Simmons for two prospects, Newcomb and I literally can't remember the other.

Ya, I’d rather have Simmons at SS than Swanson and with all of our pitching depth Newcomb just isn’t needed. The only thing is that Simmons had forced their hand a bit; he was uncoachable his last year in Atlanta and then said he’d rather play elsewhere instead of going through the rebuild.

I wish they’d just told him to suck it up and stuck with him though...he’s one of the best players in baseball now while Swanson is still a question mark and Newcomb can’t find home plate on a regular basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-21-2019, 05:00 PM   #91
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

So Kyle Wright couldn’t get out of the 1st inning today...our pitching right now is scary, and not in a good way. IMO, this is why you don’t/didn’t trade Teheran away; he’s the surest thing we have going and you need that.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2019, 05:23 PM   #92
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
So Kyle Wright couldn’t get out of the 1st inning today...our pitching right now is scary, and not in a good way. IMO, this is why you don’t/didn’t trade Teheran away; he’s the surest thing we have going and you need that.

This was Wright's 1st bad outing though. I agree with you about how scary bad our pitching looks to be right now. That's both SP & RP. SP certainly looks to be in worse shape than our bullpen but we are without Minter & O'Day to start the season.

Other than Teheran we don't have even a semi-dependable SP really. Gausman if he was to only miss his 1st start in the rotation would be dependable but he was hit hard before his arm discomfort this spring.

If the pitching doesn't get healthy & what we have doesn't look better then we better hope that our bats are on fire for a while to start the season. If our hitting isn't on par with our pitching situation then we could have a rough start to the season.

It is certainly SCARY & concerning about our pitching. I wonder if we might make a trade for SP's now with the pitching situation? I could see it as a possibility because we are depleted even though we have several pitching prospects but most of them are not ready for the MLB level yet.

I also agree that I'm glad we didn't trade away Teheran. I never wanted to trade him away anyhow but I did say that if we could get the right players in a trade of him I would be OK with it.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

Old 03-22-2019, 03:40 AM   #93
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

Well, we made one small move today. We signed veteran pitcher Mike Tomlin to a minor league deal: https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/josh...ns-with-braves

However, he will start this coming Saturday & then the staff will make a decision on whether we're going to add him to the 25-man roster to be used as a LR. This tells me that we're not looking to keep Luke Jackson as our Long Reliever so we will probably be parting ways with him. That will leave the long relief situation between Tomlin & Bryse Wilson or keep them both.

I would prefer having Bryse Wilson myself if we go with 1 LR because we can use him to start a game or 2 if needed & he has some MLB experience too. I thought Kyle Wright was going to be a lock for the Opening Day rotation but after having a terrible day on the mound today that might be up in the air a little more now.

I don't think this one bad start should outweigh how he's pitched though this spring. In my opinion, he deserves to be in the rotation with the injury problems that we have with pitchers. If all of our SP's were healthy then I would say yeah let's send him down to AAA Gwinnett to pitch a while longer.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

Old 03-23-2019, 03:51 PM   #94
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

With Touki getting absolutely ripped today in a long relief situation he just might have sealed his fate not only for the rotation but a trip down to AAA. He have up 6 Hits & 6 ER in 1 2/3 IP. His spring ERA now stands @ 8.62 which is pretty bad. He's really only had 1 decent outing all spring long.

What this probably means is that we will keep Tomlin on the 25-man roster. He went 3 innings starting today & gave up 3 Hits & no runs with 3 K's. What this also probably means is that Bryse Wilson will make the Opening Day roster as well.

Then, we will make a decision whether to use Wilson or Tomlin as our 5th starter. The other one will be relegated to the long relief role. I personally would rather us have Bryse Wilson starting & place Tomlin in LR but I'm not the manager either. LOL!

Winkler also got rocked hard today as well. He gave up 5 Hits & 4 ER in 1/3 IP. His spring ERA is @ 8.44 so question marks about him are popping up. Our pitching staff got blasted today & has been an awful lot lately. This pitching situation just like somebody mentioned is scary bad.

We might be experimenting with several guys here the 1st month of the season. I'm afraid this situation will have us out of the gates in a rough place in the NL East standings unless our bats are making our pitching barely noticeable.

On a positive note from today's game Acuna did hit his 4th HR of the spring.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

Old 03-23-2019, 06:09 PM   #95
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

I'll wait until these guys flame out in the regular season before worrying about the pitching. Spring Training just....isn't indicative of much.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2019, 08:10 PM   #96
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

It is funny that we configured our rebuild around pitching and at this point it's a mess. Just shows you how fragile/uncertain pitching prospects are:

1) Folty - legit ace, but now health questions.

2) Allard - looking like a real bust

3) Soroka - could be really good, but already health issues.

4) Wright - looks solid so far, but who knows.

5) Toussaint - tons of talent, can't throw strikes consistently.

6) Newcomb - great stuff, very poor command.

7) Anderson - Potential ace, too young to tell.

8) Wentz - Maybe a solid #2/3, but still too early.

9) Muller - probably ends up in the bullpen when it's said and done.

10) Gohara - has the stuff, but seems out of shape and injury prone.

11) Fried - solid, but I don't see him being more than a good #3.

12) Lucas Sims - not a major league pitcher...can't believe we spent a 1st round pick on him.

Sure I'm missing a few...but just no sure fire things so far.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »