Home

MLB 11 The Show - Overall Team Rankings

This is a discussion on MLB 11 The Show - Overall Team Rankings within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #81
LVP

BatsareBugs's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: MLB 11 The Show - Overall Team Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler289
How are the Marlins lower than the Mets? The Mets and Nats will be fighting for 5th place all year long.
Marlins vs. Mets
Position-by-Position

Starters:
C: Buck B > Thole C+
1B: G. Sanchez B = Davis B
2B: Infante B > Castillo B-
SS: Ramirez A+ > Reyes A-
3B: Dominguez C < Wright A+
LF: Morrison C+ < Bay B
CF: Coghlan B = Beltran B
RF: Stanton B- < Pagan B

Marlins
Bench:
C: Baker C
1B: Helms C+
2B: Bonifacio C+
OF: Peterson C
OF: Cousins C

Mets
C: Paulino C
1B: Murphy C+
SS: Hernandez C
OF: Hairston C+
OF: Duda C

Rotation:
Marlins:
1. Johnson A
2. Nolasco B
3. Vasquez B
4. A. Sanchez B
5. Volstad C+

Mets:
1. Santana B+
2. Pelfrey B-
3. Niese C+
4. Dickey C+
5. Mejia C+

Bullpen:
Marlins:
1. Nunez A-
2. Hensley B+
3. Webb B-
4. Choate C+
5. Mujica C+
6. Dunn C
7. Badenhop C-

Mets:
1. Rodriguez A
2. Acosta B
3. Parnell B-
4. Carrasco B-
5. Misch C+
6. Buchholz C
7. Perez C-

The Marlins have the better upcoming young talent, but they've yet to reach their potenial. The Mets currently have a better starting 8. The benchs and bullpens are even, but the Marlins obviously have a better rotation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2011, 07:00 PM   #82
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
For the most part I'd say the ratings are good. Nice to see the Rockies in the Top-10 and the Mets are properly (tough to swallow, I know Knight) rated at 21st, and that could be lower after the Opening Day rosters are released and Santana is off the roster.

I think Houston is underrated, though.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #83
MVP

Dogslax41's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag3vsW0rld
How exactly are the Giants over-rated? I don't have the game in front of me but I can guess their overalls and see why they would be considered "very good".

I don't see a team with a lot "stand-outs" at the position player side of things, but rarely do you get a team that can field players in the B-range overall. You can disagree with me and think that because of the lack of A's and the presence of C's should lower them, but I guarantee other teams ranked around them have similar if not bigger holes.

*Overall takes the last three years, weighted.
Exactly...all the reasons that you just listed are why I said it seemed in my opinion like they are slightly over rated.

Also I think that some of your predictions are a bit high. Zito a B...maybe 3 years ago. Posey and Sandoval may be A prospects but havent done near enough the last two years to warrant A-. Posey may be close but Sandoval no way. Posey hasnt even had a full year yet, it was close getting 400 ABs but still didnt sniff the RBI totals you woudl expect from an A-. SAndoval had one strong year and one (last year) lukewarm. Ross a B...only in the playoffs last year (he is a mid 250s hitter that will stretch to get 50 RBIs again. Not saying these guys arent good but the real reason some of these seem high is because if Posey and Sandoval are A-s then Pujols couldn't even be listed on the scale.

#3 is not a spot for a "Very Good" team given the Rangers and Phils are below them. I would have put the Giants in with teams 5-8. Like I said at #3 in my opinion they are overrated.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #84
LVP

BatsareBugs's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogslax41
Exactly...all the reasons that you just listed are why I said it seemed in my opinion like they are slightly over rated.

Also I think that some of your predictions are a bit high. Zito a B...maybe 3 years ago.
Okay, Zito is a B-, 9-12, 4.15 ERA, 1.34 WHIP. He's not as bad as most fifth starters and probably better than Joe Blanton. You're severely underrating him if you think otherwise.

Quote:
Posey and Sandoval may be A prospects but havent done near enough the last two years to warrant A-. Posey may be close but Sandoval no way. Posey hasnt even had a full year yet, it was close getting 400 ABs but still didnt sniff the RBI totals you woudl expect from an A-. SAndoval had one strong year and one (last year) lukewarm.
They are no longer prospects, but you're severely over-rating one year's effect on a player. Sandoval was arguably one of the best hitters coming out of the NL West. One year does not drop him from an A- to a B- or whatever. RBIs is a poor measure of a player's overall, considering that clutch as a rating does not affect overall as much as contact or power. As for Posey, sure you think he's rated too high too early, but that didn't stop SCEA's rating system from giving Matt Wieters that treatment a year earlier. At least Posey has proven his rating.

Quote:
Ross a B...only in the playoffs last year (he is a mid 250s hitter that will stretch to get 50 RBIs again. Not saying these guys arent good but the real reason some of these seem high is because if Posey and Sandoval are A-s then Pujols couldn't even be listed on the scale.
Pujols is a sure fire A+, no argument and irrelevant. Ross maybe Ross is a B-. Like I said, I don't have the game in front of me, but before last season Ross was a average hitter with good power.

Quote:
#3 is not a spot for a "Very Good" team given the Rangers and Phils are below them. I would have put the Giants in with teams 5-8. Like I said at #3 in my opinion they are overrated.
That's your opinion. Frankly, it's pointless to argue about this because you'll have people editing their own rosters anyways. You edit one player and it affects that team's ranking in comparison to other teams.The Rangers lost Cliff Lee to the Phillies. Both teams have tremendous offensive talent, but both teams bullpens don't match up with San Francisco. The Phillies have the best rotation of the three.

Whatever, everyone already has their pitchforks and will ignore any objectivity.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #85
MVP

WatchdogXC's Arena

OVR: 15

I agree with what was stated earlier that the Twins should be a little higher. I would not be surprised at all to see them win the AL Central again. I knew my Indians would be low, but I didn't think they'd be that low! haha I got my work cut out for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #86
Rookie

OVR: 10
Re: Overall Team Rankings

I do not approve of the Braves' placement on this list.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:46 PM   #87
I can't feel it

Jgainsey's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCannFann
I do not approve of the Braves' placement on this list.
Really? I think 10th in baseball is about right. Their pitching could maybe put them up a spot or two, but I think you'd be hard pressed trying to argue them much higher.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #88
Go Braves!!

AtlantaBraves22's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgainsey
Really? I think 10th in baseball is about right. Their pitching could maybe put them up a spot or two, but I think you'd be hard pressed trying to argue them much higher.
I agree, if you think about it, Braves are 5th in the National League, 10th overall.

PSN: AlabamaRollTide8 (Add me if your a braves fan, or Alabama Fan!)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »