Home

Player Ratings Inspired by ZiPS and OSFM

This is a discussion on Player Ratings Inspired by ZiPS and OSFM within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2015, 03:06 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Player Ratings Inspired by ZiPS and OSFM

I noticed Pujols has a steal rating of 80....is that for his terrible base running decisions?
Old 05-13-2015, 03:15 PM   #34
Pro

Mattchu12's Arena

I'm glad you distinguish between the two. Like Derek Jeter was a notoriously smart base stealer, he wasn't very fleet of foot. I find Brett Garder, from the eye test anyways, is crazy fast, but makes bad choices.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:57 PM   #35
Rookie

WTNY, can you please post your formula on how you came up with CONTACT and POWER? I have access to Steamer splits, and can use your formula and come up with the splits for each player. I would very much appreciate the help. Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2015, 01:55 AM   #36
Banned

BegBy's Arena

OVR: 3

Any chance you can share insight as to how you come with batting clutch rating?

I do not see it listed on the sheet and it really is all over the map on some players in the OSFM rosters. I see it as a huge issue. A guy can just get hits because he has a high clutch rating.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:35 AM   #37
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BegBy
Any chance you can share insight as to how you come with batting clutch rating?

I do not see it listed on the sheet and it really is all over the map on some players in the OSFM rosters. I see it as a huge issue. A guy can just get hits because he has a high clutch rating.
Good question and no, there's no good way of doing this because clutch doesn't really seem to exist. BA w/RISP, WPA, WPA/LI, "Clutch" and other metrics are something to consider, but they fluctuate too much from year to year to use. Generally I go by age/experience/hype but it's not determined by an actual formula as are the other ratings. Generally you will see the guys at lower levels with clutch in the 30s, closer-to-the-majors minor leaguers in the low/mid 40s, and major leaguers only with a clutch of near 50 or over depending on the player.

I don't see it as a huge issue because the devs have insinuated in the past that the clutch rating only has a small effect.

Last edited by WaitTilNextYear; 05-15-2015 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:14 PM   #38
Rookie

Can you post your formula for Contact and Power please? The splits are released for ZiPS
Old 05-15-2015, 01:26 PM   #39
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by schutzk21
Can you post your formula for Contact and Power please? The splits are released for ZiPS
No, I don't plan to do that. Maybe after I'm done with the rosters later on, but I need to think about it. You guys are just going to end up using the rosters that have my ratings in it anyway (whether my/teeds' roster or Willard's), so I don't really see the need to post my formulas at all anyway. I don't really have any interest in seeing 17 other "Hybrid" rosters of mediocre quality appear in the coming days all with my ratings in them, which is what would happen if I posted them. You guys just need to be patient and wait for rosters to be finished.

Also, I saw your request the 1st time, so the 2nd and 3rd posts weren't necessary. I can't speak for everyone else, but the more times someone asks, the less likely I am to honor the request. Not trying to single you out personally, but this is more aimed at the pestering behavior (multiple posts, being impatient etc..) that I don't like to see on OS in general.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:08 AM   #40
Banned

BegBy's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
Good question and no, there's no good way of doing this because clutch doesn't really seem to exist. BA w/RISP, WPA, WPA/LI, "Clutch" and other metrics are something to consider, but they fluctuate too much from year to year to use. Generally I go by age/experience/hype but it's not determined by an actual formula as are the other ratings. Generally you will see the guys at lower levels with clutch in the 30s, closer-to-the-majors minor leaguers in the low/mid 40s, and major leaguers only with a clutch of near 50 or over depending on the player.

I don't see it as a huge issue because the devs have insinuated in the past that the clutch rating only has a small effect.

Yeah, I figured it would be done by feel or somewhat arbitrary. As far as the devs saying something and it being gospel...I really struggle with some of their claims. Not saying my method was particularly scientific or at all reliable, but I have messed with the clutch rating and I am positive it has a decent influence on contextual hitting.

Thanks for your efforts. I can't wait to see the end result!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »