Home

Setting pitch count limits using pitcher stamina rating

This is a discussion on Setting pitch count limits using pitcher stamina rating within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2016, 02:53 PM   #17
SHOW TIME!!

The Kid 24's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Setting pitch count limits using pitcher stamina rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimey
You got it, Kid! It looks great. A suggestion is don't lock yourself in where you rate strictly on the numbers when rating a pitcher whose numbers were reduced by injury. Otherwise, you have a solid base to rate with.
Awesome!

Ok... I'm making a note of that!

Thanks so much for this.. I can't wait to add these numbers in for my Franchise! This is a game changer for me and getting realistic sim pitching stats!

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2016, 02:58 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPCaveman13
Just more of a curious question:

How would you figure into the strict enforcement of pitches/innings by stamina the chance that a pitcher might get yanked even though they are having success (ie: no-hitter/perfect through the sixth or seventh)??

An example of this would be something like Edwin Jackson's no-hitter a few years back. He has a stamina on your chart falling anywhere from 70-80 which puts him at 95-110 pitch per outing mark. This would put him coming out around the 4.2-5.2 mark but he finished out the game throwing ~150 pitches. He made his next start on schedule as well.

Second question, less curious but more observation:

Have you tested this out in the post-season?? How would this play out for a pitcher who goes on games one and four or two and five, provided they have a full start (100-110 pitches over 6-7)??
1. The cpu manager has no problem letting a guy pitch 120 pitches+ when Jackson has a no-hitter going. I have seen the cpu let a starter go 120+ with just a shutout going. I have seen the cpu let a pitcher go 136 pitches (Lester, Cubs) for a complete game because the Cubs led 15-0 going into the 9th. He struckout 12, walked 5. This was yesterday in my franchise. The only time I have seen a pitcher yanked early with a no-hitter going is because of injury. His buddies in the bullpen did finish it for him. I have also seen Quintana, White Sox (poor guy) pitch nine hitless innings, but after 9 innings the score was 0-0! The cpu let him start the 10th, were he lost the no-no and the game! This is with this rating scale and game sliders pitcher stamina=4, reliever stamina=0 and manager hook=5.

2. During my postseason last year with MLB 15, I had to max out the starters stamina slider, from 4 to 10, I left the guys in their rotation spots and they would start with less than 100% recovered (more like 70-75%). The cpu manager, with this setting, would let the effective starter go 5 IP, but the bullpen gets up to start the 6th and any further trouble, he's goes to the bullpen, or if he gets out of the inning, the starter is replaced to start the 7th. In an NLDS game last year in my franchise, Kershaw wound up pitching a complete game because nobody touched him after the 5th. He retired the last 12 he faced with the bullpen ready the whole time. He started the game at 75%. I have not tested in the postseason for the current game.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:15 PM   #19
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinscapswiz
This all seems like great stuff! My only question is what real stats do you guys use for reference? The simple answer would be 2015 Innings Pitched, however wouldn’t that be skewed if a pitcher even missed one start due to injury? I guess wouldn’t that make innings/start more useable?

What about just scaling back everyone's rating based off their current ratings? For instance anyone that's 95+ make them 85, anyone 94, make them 84... essentially lowering everyone's stamina by 10? Sorry if that sounds out of whack lol. Just having a hard time pin pointing a source before starting a franchise
That's exactly what I did initially, skins. Just scaled everyone back so 99 rated became 85, and so on down. Then, I would fine-tune certain guys, adding mostly because of reputation, mostly. But if you want a base of actual data, IP/GS works. Also, pitches/GS works, but using the pitches/GS penalizes the power pitcher In-game, as they use more pitches than the pitch-to-contact guys. This causes less of a distinction between your Kershaws and MadBums when compared to, say, Jered Weaver as your franchise goes from start to start. This is my observation during full season sims.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:21 PM   #20
SHOW TIME!!

The Kid 24's Arena

Quote:
The key is to always have a "stretched out" long man, a 6th starter, in the long relief spot in your pitching staff. A 7-man bullpen would look like this:

Cubs Bullpen ##=stamina
LRP Trevor Cahill 68
MRP Travis Wood 35
MRP Justin Grimm 32
MRP Neil Ramirez 32
MRP Aaron Crow 33
SU Pedro Strop 30
CL Hector Rondon 33
One more thing bro... Would it work to set up every team's bullpen similar to this?
Old 04-12-2016, 03:54 PM   #21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid 24
One more thing bro... Would it work to set up every team's bullpen similar to this?
Yes. I have seen some Show players with a bullpens with 2 setup guys, a lefty and a righty, while leaving the long relief spot empty. This setup will have your bullpen pitching too many innings. If you want your relievers to stay around 1 IP per appearance or less, you need that long guy/spot starter with 60 stamina or better in the long relief spot. This is more apparent in the postseason when you have 2 pitchers in these slots or in September when the roster expands and you can max out at three. At that time, you can deploy 2 men in the setup slots. Or using a 13-man pitching staff in a 25-man roster will allow you use double setup guys plus a long guy. But the long man helps eat those extra innings, blowout games that will keep a lot of those innings from piling up on your middle guys.

So, yes, that is the ideal setup for your pitching staffs.
(sorry if I am over-explaining this)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2016, 04:08 PM   #22
SHOW TIME!!

The Kid 24's Arena

Quote:
Yes. I have seen some Show players with a bullpens with 2 setup guys, a lefty and a righty, while leaving the long relief spot empty. This setup will have your bullpen pitching too many innings. If you want your relievers to stay around 1 IP per appearance or less, you need that long guy/spot starter with 60 stamina or better in the long relief spot. This is more apparent in the postseason when you have 2 pitchers in these slots or in September when the roster expands and you can max out at three. At that time, you can deploy 2 men in the setup slots. Or using a 13-man pitching staff in a 25-man roster will allow you use double setup guys plus a long guy. But the long man helps eat those extra innings, blowout games that will keep a lot of those innings from piling up on your middle guys.

So, yes, that is the ideal setup for your pitching staffs.
(sorry if I am over-explaining this)
Awesome! I will use that set up for bullpens... Great work.

Thanks again man!
Old 04-13-2016, 10:00 AM   #23
Rookie

I gotta say this thread has been really awesome. I haven’t started my franchise yet but I’ve been running test franchise sims like a maniac, trying to get it right for when I finally do start it. With the help of you guys I think I’ve constructed a really effective way to play a realistic franchise mode. The IP numbers are way more realistic, as well as the SO/Complete games. Overall, a dramatic improvement compared to what I was working with beforehand. In summary, for anyone just opening this thread I wanted to share my personal takeaway and what I plan on applying to my franchise thanks to the help of these fellas.

1) Either wait for Updated rosters or OSFM. This is clearly based on preference and doesn't affect stats of the game, but I think both are nearing their release.

2) Implement sliders of your choice: I prefer Armor & Sword & Marino sliders found in the sliders thread, but I don't think it's a big deal either way as long as you adjust for reliever stamina which you should make either 0 or 1. I think oldtimey put his to 0? I didn't see too much difference either way, but that's because I adjusted the stamina for each pitcher as he mentioned.

3) Adjust every pitchers stamina rating. This is definitely the most time consuming part of setting everything up, but I think very well worth it. It shouldn’t take more than an hour once you get into a rhythm. This is obviously what this thread is about, and I think there are a few ways to do it. Do whichever you prefer, whether it’s creating your own rating system, or simply lowering everyone’s by 15. I think the bottom line is the same: best aces should max out at 80-85 stamina while guys on the lowest end should min out at 55-60. You can take The Kid 24’s listed out adjusted ratings on this thread, where it’s adjusted for innings pitched, multiply each pitchers original rating by a factor of 0.86, or simply subtract it by 15. The first two are more precise, the last one is the least time consuming.

4) Set each team’s bullpen accordingly, than control all 30 teams in franchise mode so you can oversee any obscure changes. You can certainly leave everything on auto except for your team. Make the 6th SP the LRP, while everyone else in either MRP, SU or CP spots. You don’t want to leave the LRP empty for reasons oldtimey mentioned. I’m sure you can get away without controlling all 30 teams, but I don’t see the harm in just “overseeing” lol. Plus, this way if you ever get bored of playing with one team, you can always control another team.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:36 AM   #24
SHOW TIME!!

The Kid 24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinscapswiz
I gotta say this thread has been really awesome. I haven’t started my franchise yet but I’ve been running test franchise sims like a maniac, trying to get it right for when I finally do start it. With the help of you guys I think I’ve constructed a really effective way to play a realistic franchise mode. The IP numbers are way more realistic, as well as the SO/Complete games. Overall, a dramatic improvement compared to what I was working with beforehand. In summary, for anyone just opening this thread I wanted to share my personal takeaway and what I plan on applying to my franchise thanks to the help of these fellas.

1) Either wait for Updated rosters or OSFM. This is clearly based on preference and doesn't affect stats of the game, but I think both are nearing their release.

2) Implement sliders of your choice: I prefer Armor & Sword & Marino sliders found in the sliders thread, but I don't think it's a big deal either way as long as you adjust for reliever stamina which you should make either 0 or 1. I think oldtimey put his to 0? I didn't see too much difference either way, but that's because I adjusted the stamina for each pitcher as he mentioned.

3) Adjust every pitchers stamina rating. This is definitely the most time consuming part of setting everything up, but I think very well worth it. It shouldn’t take more than an hour once you get into a rhythm. This is obviously what this thread is about, and I think there are a few ways to do it. Do whichever you prefer, whether it’s creating your own rating system, or simply lowering everyone’s by 15. I think the bottom line is the same: best aces should max out at 80-85 stamina while guys on the lowest end should min out at 55-60. You can take The Kid 24’s listed out adjusted ratings on this thread, where it’s adjusted for innings pitched, multiply each pitchers original rating by a factor of 0.86, or simply subtract it by 15. The first two are more precise, the last one is the least time consuming.

4) Set each team’s bullpen accordingly, than control all 30 teams in franchise mode so you can oversee any obscure changes. You can certainly leave everything on auto except for your team. Make the 6th SP the LRP, while everyone else in either MRP, SU or CP spots. You don’t want to leave the LRP empty for reasons oldtimey mentioned. I’m sure you can get away without controlling all 30 teams, but I don’t see the harm in just “overseeing” lol. Plus, this way if you ever get bored of playing with one team, you can always control another team.
Curious to see what you're test sims look like with oldtimey's amazing info? I honestly can't wait to implement this into my Franchise roster file when OSFM comes out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »