Home

TheWarmWind's Impact Sliders

This is a discussion on TheWarmWind's Impact Sliders within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2017, 09:25 PM   #9
Pro

No.27's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: TheWarmWind's Impact Sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
This is seemingly the difference between me and most OSers, and probably why I'm one of the few who's still playing their 14 carry over. I have no issue making my team too good.

You'll notice I avoid specifics about my team in threads. It's because I'm a little embarrassed at how stacked my team is.

On another note, I took another look at the Jays in Justmunc's fictional last night and realized what I didn't like about them was there lineup was focused around a 35 year old RF, their best starting pitcher was a 32 year old on the last year of their contract, and the closer was pathetic. Outside of the stars they had a pretty deep roster. I mucked around and ended up trading the RF and CP to the Mets for their #2 starter, their CP, and a young CF with a lot of upside whose attributes seem more suited for right field. I switched the CF to RF and I like the team a lot more now.

The lineup lacks power, which is an important tool at the roger's centre, but has great depth and sustainability now, along with plenty of upside and less salary. Depth and sustainability are the two pillars I build any sports franchise on. Might stick with them now that I don't have to worry about my star player turning into paper and losing trade value. Could contest, and I've got plenty of prospects to help trade up if needed, but at the same time they are no Cubs either (they look scary) and there are lots of highly tradeable pieces outside what I would consider the core. Highly flexible.
Don't worry my Red Sox are already stacked! Once I finished finding and transferring all my favourite previous Red Sox players. I had no qualms in sacking John Farrell and any C grade coach and hiring A grade coaches to get a morale boost. We are off to a 5 zip start. If your not too embarrassed to share what is your win/loss ratio like in your 2014 carryover save?

I like the Blue Jays to. I played a few test games when I was looking to play indoors. I really hit well with Jamison the catcher and Guardado the shortstop. I find it lots of fun to make trades and not have to look at the Trade Discussion thread to see if they are fair or not. There are a couple of good pieces stashed in the free agents as well.

Funny you mention the Cubs. justmunc loaded his MLB 16 version to the vault very late and I simmed the season and won the World Series with the Fictional Cubs. This new Roster is a update on that so I know how good the Cubs are. The have a RF lead off hitter with an unforgettable name Jurickson Jurrjens who was a hit machine for me.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:46 PM   #10
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by No.27
If your not too embarrassed to share what is your win/loss ratio like in your 2014 carryover save?
It is too embarassing. It's not like they are all blowouts, but team disparity is a huge problem in my league and I'm basically an all-star team facing minor league players. I will say that when I come up against one of the other monster teams it's a real challenge, but they are in the NL so yeah, I'm kind of humiliating the AL.

The Pirates and the Dodgers are the other monster teams. Pirates, after losing two game 7 world series in a row to me, have loaded up on all the pitchers I struggle the most to hit. Seriously, all of them. It's like a hall of fame of pitchers I can't hit. I really want someone to take them down before the WS.

Dodgers are more balanced, with a great lineup that's got ridiculous power and a rotation featuring both Kershaw and Price. I'm confident I could beat them this year but next year I have to further trim the excess talent on my team and if the off-season goes as I forsee I'll be a little lefty heavy in my lineup come spring.

In the AL, Texas can make me sweat but they lack a bullpen. Cleveland is ok, the White Sox have a great team on paper but can't seem to do anything with it (hmm, seems familiar). The biggest threat in the future is Boston. All they are really missing is pitching, and they've got a lot of exciting prospects to fill the gaps. Some are already in the majors getting their ears wet.

Let's just say I'm in mid September and I've already hit the 100 win mark.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:36 AM   #11
Pro

No.27's Arena

Quote:
Let's just say I'm in mid September and I've already hit the 100 win mark.
Thanks for sharing. Now I have a challenge for my mighty Fictional Red Sox to have 100 wins by September! Seriously that was a really interesting write up on how the game plays out. I'm inspired to get a couple of years at least out of the Franchise I just started.

However back to the sliders for a moment. The explanation you gave for each slider on the OP was very informative as usual. Like you and All Star I'm just not comfortable on Veteran. I fought so hard to get there I don't want to give All Star up. So I'm using your sliders on All Star with Strike Frequency at 3 and the rest are the same. Things are looking really good over a couple of games. Although I'm going to trial inserting rjacksons fielding errors which I found open the game up a bit. Will let you know how it goes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2017, 09:59 AM   #12
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by No.27
However back to the sliders for a moment. The explanation you gave for each slider on the OP was very informative as usual. Like you and All Star I'm just not comfortable on Veteran. I fought so hard to get there I don't want to give All Star up. So I'm using your sliders on All Star with Strike Frequency at 3 and the rest are the same. Things are looking really good over a couple of games. Although I'm going to trial inserting rjacksons fielding errors which I found open the game up a bit. Will let you know how it goes.
I have playtested on All-Star and I would recommend bumping human solid hits up to 7. You might want to consider bumping CPU solid hits up as well, which is something I've considered for a while. Part of the reason why I'm playing justmunc's roster is because I need more results from a league that isn't so uneven.

3 is my recommendation for strike frequency as well. I might just try rjackson's fielding settings for myself. It's funny, in the bubble of my world I was ready to lock in and leave the game as it was, but then I come here to OS and involve myself in discussion, and my worldview (gameview?) is suddenly a little more open and flexible.

Really the OP was more for the theories then the settings themselves. For the hundredth time, I really believe that each player should set their own sliders. I feel like a teacher repeating an important math lesson when I say that.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:36 PM   #13
Pro

No.27's Arena

Quote:
I have playtested on All-Star and I would recommend bumping human solid hits up to 7. You might want to consider bumping CPU solid hits up as well, which is something I've considered for a while. Part of the reason why I'm playing justmunc's roster is because I need more results from a league that isn't so uneven.

3 is my recommendation for strike frequency as well. I might just try rjackson's fielding settings for myself. It's funny, in the bubble of my world I was ready to lock in and leave the game as it was, but then I come here to OS and involve myself in discussion, and my worldview (gameview?) is suddenly a little more open and flexible.

Really the OP was more for the theories then the settings themselves. For the hundredth time, I really believe that each player should set their own sliders. I feel like a teacher repeating an important math lesson when I say that.
Thanks for the reply. I will give solid hits 7 for Hum//CPU a try. It might be the final piece of the puzzle for me. Confirmed strike frequency at 3 played really well.

Sorry I was up late and there was a bit of miscommunication in my post. I'm only using rjacksons error sliders ATM. I meant the errors will often come when the game is tight and break it open. I think with the fielding slider like you I would only move it to 4 if I need more offense. I really like watching Brad McDonald on replays with it all at Default! At some stage I will try his manager hook and injury solutions but moving slowly at this stage.

I'm hearing your message. Every year up to this point I've just locked in Armors Sliders and made me fit them. This year firstly with rjacksons thread I've really had a good look at how I want to play the game and have it look for me. I'd already moved back to Default and then your thread popped up and it's helped me tweak Default to the levels I want to play on. I'm pretty happy for the first time I've got some tailor made settings and they are nearly locked in! Thanks again for your help.

PS The more l look at justmuncs roster the more I realise how truly great it is. I was chuffed to find a 19 year old Aussie pitcher on the Red Sox roster. The level of detail is incredible.

Last edited by No.27; 07-11-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:26 AM   #14
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

Are you guys getting ahead in the count a lot when batting? Especially with the non-Aces I'd expect a ton of 1-0 and 2-0 counts so I'm curious now as to if you guys are seeing that or not?
Old 07-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #15
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson
Are you guys getting ahead in the count a lot when batting? Especially with the non-Aces I'd expect a ton of 1-0 and 2-0 counts so I'm curious now as to if you guys are seeing that or not?
If they are having a bad day, yes. But I've faced 70's/low 80's pitchers who are having a good day and painting the corners, and it can be brutal.

CPU strike frequency changes where the CPU tries to pitch, it doesn't directly effect the results. So yeah, even a bad pitcher can get ahead in the count and dominate when they are having a good day. Turning it down just reduces the CPU just throwing it over for a strike as opposed to trying to make quality pitches. So yes, it does increase walks and hitters counts, but not in unnatural manner. At least that's what all my play-testing has shown.

Of course I'm not meticulous about stat tracking, just chasing a feeling for the game. The only issue I've ever noticed though is first pitch strikes with bad pitchers is a little low though I wouldn't call it extreme by any means. Beyond that it's actually really good, and challenging.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2017, 04:11 PM   #16
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

See, my understanding of the strike frequency slider and as it is described in the game is that it alters how many early pitches LAND for strikes. Now, that does not mean that all strikes are equal as you point out. That is why I am so curious.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »