Home

Fielding Sliders

This is a discussion on Fielding Sliders within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2018, 12:54 AM   #9
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Fielding Sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
Good stuff here! So what would be the consensus? 2-2 or some other setting.

I ended up keeping speed at 0, but I upped reaction to 5 as I was seeing some bizarre stuff. But if there is a better path to this, I'd be open to what you guys who have played this game much longer than me have seen.

Thanks!!
Not sure that there is necessarily a consensus, but seems like we all agree that we see very similar good results at 2-2, and 4-1. I believe KB uses 0-something or 0-0? I may be remembering incorrectly on that. Like KB mentioned, some of depends on offensive settings, because the more hard hits, the higher reaction will need to be, particularly on ground balls.

I tested some of these early on, and with my offensive settings, and baserunner speed, i settled in at 2-2 (baserunner speed at 4). Seemed like with anything lower than 2 fielder speed, with my offensive sliders, i began seeing a jump in triples - close to double the normal amount (instead of one triple every 6 games or so, i was seeing one every 3 or 4 games).

I also tested 4-1 early on (and almost every other variation of below-default) and also got good results for Babip. I dont remember what i had the offensive sliders on at that point. I have the data somewhere.

I do know that when i had reaction at default, the infield gobbled up 90% of ground balls. I needed a few more ground balls to get through than the nornal 24%, because back then, line drives were slightly low for me, and on top of that my batting average on line drives stayed a little low as well. So a few more ground balls than normal needed to find their way through to make up for it. That all seems to have improved since then, so i settled in at 2 reaction.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:56 AM   #10
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

0 Speed, 5 Reaction is what I'm using right now and I like it.

Helps me keep grounder BABIP in line and allows great infielders to make some nice plays.

The speed puts the onus on the pitcher to do contact management/induce poorer trajectories, and then even then, depending on where they land, they might still drop.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:57 AM   #11
MVP

bravesfan1984's Arena

OVR: 6

I'm interested in your thoughts of fielding sliders using the hybrid roster ratings. I'm assuming since we out out the roster later in the season, most testing was done using osfm?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Operation Sports mobile app

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2018, 01:09 AM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover

Helps me keep grounder BABIP in line and allows great infielders to make some nice plays.

The speed puts the onus on the pitcher to do contact management/induce poorer trajectories, and then even then, depending on where they land, they might still drop.
Ok that makes sense. So - we have seen a common theme here:

a) higher speed (4) and low reaction (1)
b) lower speed (0) and higher reaction (5)
c) meet near the middle on both (2-2)

And all of these seem to be getting great results depending on how we play. I dont think you can go wrong with any of these 3 settings, its just what goes best with our overall setup.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:11 AM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan1984
I'm interested in your thoughts of fielding sliders using the hybrid roster ratings. I'm assuming since we out out the roster later in the season, most testing was done using osfm?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Operation Sports mobile app
I missed out on hybrid this year unfortunately. This is the first year i didn't use it. I wanted to badly, but didn't work out. So yeah mine are all tested with OSFM.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:41 AM   #14
Pro

No.27's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloniac
With that being said, I will note that I've never seen the CPU make a wall-climb catch on either 2-2 or 4-1. Curious if you or anyone else has had any luck there. I've seen attempts before, but no wall climb catches, and I've seen pretty much every other big fielding play.
Funny you should mention this as I just had a memorable game at Tropicana where Mookie of all people missed 2 wall catches (auto fielding) and I’ve got my speed/reaction at 3/3. It was memorable because both were hit on the full to the short porch RF wall and scored TRIPLES as Mookie wandered around dazed and confused looking for the ball after he hit the wall. I thought one was even going to go for an inside the park home run until Mookie came to his senses.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #15
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover

Before even reading this, this is the EXACT setup I've locked in on - 0 speed, 5 reaction, and base running at 4. Appreciate all the input here as it's very helpful to see what you guys are using, the reasoning for it, and the results you're getting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2018, 10:35 AM   #16
MVP

timmg's Arena

OVR: 5

So fielder speed should always be lower than base running speed, can't stand seeing a player with 25 speed track down a deep fly ball, then when base running he's slow as hell, just as he should be with 25 speed or a pitcher cover first base super fast with 13 speed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »