Home

MLB The Show 22 Sliders Make No Sense

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 22 Sliders Make No Sense within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-13-2022, 10:46 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 6
Re: MLB The Show 22 Sliders Make No Sense

I've come to the conclusion we all play the game very differently, even using the same settings.

My guess is it's in the way we pitch to the AI. For me, over 100 games into my franchise, the sliders seem to work exactly as intended. Default HOF saw too little CPU threat at the plate, so a bump to contact and power were made, as well as one tick down on Human Pitcher Consistency.

The result, the AI is competitive at the plate. So it was very linear for my experience, not to say thats the case for every player- due to varying play styles.

I also have SP stamina bumped. While I agree with Josh that many are looking for the "old days" SP at 100 pitches/outing, I also disagree with the way SDS handled SP stamina on default. In my opinion they need to find a different way to present stamina. There should be more loss of effectiveness after a certain number of pitches depending on inning strain- but "running out of energy" isn't the answer.
The way we have it now isn't tenable as if you run a guy down to "out of energy", he is going to be so VERY fatigued for his next start. I personally just don't agree with that in professional baseball.

I sympathize with those still struggling to find the settings, but for me the sliders have been a very linear experience for me in 22.
Old 06-13-2022, 11:06 AM   #10
MVP

Rmiok222's Arena

OVR: 0

My only question is how far do the starters actually make it before getting gassed on default stamina?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 06-13-2022, 11:21 AM   #11
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmiok222
My only question is how far do the starters actually make it before getting gassed on default stamina?
I can only speak to the game on AS+ using classic/directional.

It obviously depends on the stamina rating of the pitcher....but I mean I've seen everything from complete games to 4 inning starts. High-count innings have a major impact for sure....you nibble all the time; you're going to burn out your pen; a lesson I learned painfully. You have to attack more than I think some folks do when they play; attack more, more probable to get hit...so you have to find that balance for that matchup. It's utterly intriguing to me....

Not something I've personally tested; but just reading feedback over the years; I STRONGLY suspect the game difficulty has an impact on this as well. If you're on HOF or Legend, your experiences might be quite different than someone on AS.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2022, 11:42 AM   #12
MVP

forme95's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmiok222

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
AS default, Ive seen 4 innings to complete game. It really more depends on what the confidence level is at. It plays a bigger factor then energy. Ive seen guys with zero energy, still pitch effectively for multiple innings. Ive had Bieber (89 I believe stamina) who cant get past 6, but Plesac has had a complete game and McKenzie goes on average 7 innings. Thats with SDS 4/29 live roster unmolested.

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 06-13-2022, 12:32 PM   #13
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by forme95
AS default, Ive seen 4 innings to complete game. It really more depends on what the confidence level is at. It plays a bigger factor then energy. Ive seen guys with zero energy, still pitch effectively for multiple innings. Ive had Bieber (89 I believe stamina) who cant get past 6, but Plesac has had a complete game and McKenzie goes on average 7 innings. Thats with SDS 4/29 live roster unmolested.
I have similar experiences with my O's. My young SPs are like a box of chocolate; but trash-heap pickup Mike Foltynewicz has been my workhorse (consistently hitting 7+ innings) and is riding a great stretch. But Means' best day is a ho-hum bare-bones QS.

They got off to opposite starts (Folty a strong one, Means a slow one) and while some regression to the mean is occurring; I definitely feel a lot more confident with Folty (and his confidence is up there too). He absolutely has a larger effective pitch capacity right now despite similar stamina ratings to Means.
Old 06-13-2022, 01:35 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 6

Not to make this the stamina thread, but absolutely spot on observations about confidence tying with stamina/ pitch count.
Old 06-13-2022, 01:41 PM   #15
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20

We are using AS pitching now. So just for the heck of it I tried stamina at 5 for SP and RP. Hook at 5 too. Cpu hitting sliders default 5 except power (4). I pitched for both teams. Indians had Bieber with 90 stamina. White Sox had Lynn with 78 stamina. This is a late July test franchise game btw.

It doesn't make a difference but I use quick counts. Also in order to conserve energy, I tapped the button to throw a lot of times.

-Lance Lynn threw 86 pitches in 4ip 3h 0er 1bb 3k. Stamina bar was that yellow orange color. Felt that was fair. If I started the 5th with him I figure he would've gave up hits and all.

Bieber threw 101 pitches in 6.1ip 2h 1er 2bb 7k. Same as Lynn with yellow orange stamina bar. After the walk with one out in the 7th I pulled him.

Throwing error with two outs gave Indians only two runs bottom 8th. Couple extra at bats were then hits inevitably to bring in both unearned runs.

CWS 1 3 2 (3BB 9K)
CLE 2 6 0 (1BB 7K)

Just one game but I can manage stamina at 5. Just have to tap button a lot to conserve energy and not worry if your guy only lasts 4 innings even if he hasn't given up a run or hits.

Cpu offense on default sliders though I just can't do. I think with the slider adjustments we have for AS pitching and stamina at 5, maybe 6 the cpu offense will be a huge threat. I'll give it a shot myself for a while and see how it goes. Definitely can't hurt!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/DarthRambo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2022, 01:43 PM   #16
MVP

forme95's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue81188
Not to make this the stamina thread, but absolutely spot on observations about confidence tying with stamina/ pitch count.
Last week I had a game go 16 innings and KC ran out of arms, so Garrett pitched 5.2 innings. 4ish innings (79 pitches) of it was with zero stamina. His confidence stayed right above/below 60% (estimating). He'd give up a hit, a BB, but get a double play and get out of the inning. I think I had a record of DP balls that game (5).

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »