Home

PS4 Discussion (MLB The Show 14)

This is a discussion on PS4 Discussion (MLB The Show 14) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #73
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: PS4 Discussion (MLB The Show 14)

I just want some modest improvements. I want the grass to be more vibrant and really stand out (as well as the sky, and pretty much everything to be more vibrant and lively.)

Stats. Stats. I'm a big numbers and franchise guy. I hate being only able to see avg/hr/rbi from previous years. It's nearly impossible to evaluate a player that way. I hope to see more stats, if they could integrate something with fangraphs that would be awesome. I'd just love to see complete statistical anaysis.

and lastly deliveries for pitchers. i still feel like a lot of deliveries and "robotic" and don't mimic the pitchers real deliveries still. hopefully with a better system they can make some adjustments.

and some small things i always thought would be cool: how about a first persion camera of your player walking from the on deck circle to the batters box. have them walk up, dig in, look around, in first person view would be really cool. maybe intregrate some post game interviews in the clubhouse.

and the dream game i've always wanted to play since i was a kid: a game so realistic that you would literally drive to the stadium in a nice BMV, hangout in the clubhouse, then go out to the field and play. haha like the Sims I guess. just a complete real life simulation lol.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:13 AM   #74
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9

I'd really like to see games like this take advantage of DLC and allow us to purchase stadiums of minor league teams, and authentic old school rosters and era driven content. Making material like this optional DLC, would be a successful approach.

Gameplay wise, I'm wondering now how far physics for ball throwing and contact will be able to come. In the past we've had numerous debates about whether the physics of ball hitting were right , wrong or how to make it right. With the PS4, this issue is in the hands of developers to get this right universally.

And honestly I want to see the most work and effort go into this category. After all, this is what baseball is most about, out of all categories we concern ourselves with regarding this game. The science of hitting a baseball correctly is why we even buy this game in the first place correct

Ohh and commentary, I had an idea of how they should approach it. Doubtful we will see this in 14' but I would still hope people paid to do this thought of this before me. For MLB The Show to go into the world of good commentary, my idea consists of 2 things. Talk about, things in a coach worthy manner. This will also help players learn how to play the game. The color guys should talk as if they are 2 coaches going back and forth on various things about the game. It would be so genuine commentary, to hear for example topics like:

Why you fouled off a pitch instead of lining it.
What kind of lead to get on 1st base if going to steal.
Pitching mechanics, Hitting offspeed pitches etc etc

They're approach to commentary right now is so canned and 1 dimensional and at times very annoying. They should never again, be allowed to say things that distract me as a player toward what I'm doing. Like when it's said, "I'm sure a fastball is coming here... Pitch thrown .. "Ok maybe not (chuckles)" OMG Shutup!

As for the play by play guy, he needs to be alot more improved. First step, is to take a lesson from radio broadcast, where the game was founded and develop something that translates that level of broadcasting into a video game.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #75
Forever A Legend

24's Arena

OVR: 22

I know it probably won't happen but I would love to see Vin Scully make a return as an announcer. Back when SECA was still putting out the MLB title under 989 Sports they had Scully as the color commentator. Just a pipe dream I guess but it would be amazing.

I Think Progression gets tweaked again for Franchise and RTTS. It still has a couple of bugs that need to be fixed but other then that I think it's on the right path.

Would love to see something similar to EA Sports gameface system when it comes to creating players. If they managed something like that It would make creating some of the old timers and new prospects that much easier.

I know they are extensive as it is but I'm hoping for some more batting stances and maybe some reanimation's of some of the older players.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #76
Pro

OVR: 24

I really dislike Matt Vasgersian as a choice for a video game.

I just think he sounds like a video game even in real life when he speaks. He speaks almost too flawlessly, every word is perfectly pronounced etc...

That just adds to the "this is a video game feeling" when you use a guy like that for in-game commentary.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:17 PM   #77
MVP

Stroehms's Arena

OVR: 55
I really want Busch Stadium II (Cookie Cutter) in the game. It would be even sweeter if they had 2 versions: one with AstroTurf and deeper, blue walls. Also, after they renovated in '96 with grass, new batters eye and green walls.

Please please. I would pay $100 dlc.

So many memories as a kid there and would be an awesome piece of nostalgia for me/many other die hard Cardinal fans.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #78
Pro

metsfan4life1's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I really dislike Matt Vasgersian as a choice for a video game.

I just think he sounds like a video game even in real life when he speaks. He speaks almost too flawlessly, every word is perfectly pronounced etc...

That just adds to the "this is a video game feeling" when you use a guy like that for in-game commentary.
He sounds even more like a robot in the game. He's just too "boring" for the commentary.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #79
Rookie

Legionnaire's Arena

OVR: 5

I'd expect the ability to buy a new stadium to play in. Even Madden has this now, where you have a few fictional stadiums to choose from when you decide to relocate or rebuild.

As nice a feature as it is in Madden, it'd actually be so much cooler as a feature in a baseball game, since football fields are mostly the same anyway. But having unique fictional stadiums in a baseball game would mean having different dimensions for the outfield. I mean, it's just eye candy for the background in a football game, but it could actually impact the gameplay in The Show. Especially if they decide to have fun with it and create fictional stadiums with extreme or creative dimensions, or some unique design that causes certain wind patterns.

After I got about a decade into my The Show franchise this year, I started switching to one of the historical stadiums for all my home games. I imagined we built and moved into a new stadium that replicates the old Polo Grounds. I was just ready for a change of pace after so long in my old stadium which I was never that fond of to begin with. And I've had so much fun with the crazy dimensions of that place.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:20 AM   #80
Rookie

ebarws6's Arena

OVR: 9

This may not be the most popular opinion but I would love to see the 20-80 rating system.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »