Home

Crowd audio

This is a discussion on Crowd audio within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #1
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Crowd audio

This is one of those things that really hasn't come close to being at an excellent level in any sports video game.

I haven't played 2K14 or FIFA in my own home, but I wonder what that crowd audio is like. In many games, they don't cheer enough, or they don't cheer appropriately, or the chatter isn't buzzing enough, or it doesn't feel like there are many people in the crowd, etc. Also this is kind of harder to understand, but it just feels "compressed" in the frequency department. Not enough kHz's if you know what I mean. That sound should be rich!

Since they're recording new crowd audio, I'm hoping they are developing strong algorithms with respect to when they cheer, how much they do, etc. I'm curious about the recordings themselves, though. I really hope we're in for a treat!
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
Rookie

newmich's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Crowd audio

I get what you mean man. Like for me I keep waiting to hear a crowd that gets my adrenaline rushing as if I were watching my favorite team on T.V in an intense game.

For an example look up Game 5 or 6 in the Heat-Thunder Finals (whatever was final game) and even in the beginning of the game the crowd is exploding. Or in the 9th inning of a close Brewers-Cubs game the Crowd is really pumping

Sent from my HUAWEI H881C using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2014, 06:35 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
This is one of those things that really hasn't come close to being at an excellent level in any sports video game.

I haven't played 2K14 or FIFA in my own home, but I wonder what that crowd audio is like. In many games, they don't cheer enough, or they don't cheer appropriately, or the chatter isn't buzzing enough, or it doesn't feel like there are many people in the crowd, etc. Also this is kind of harder to understand, but it just feels "compressed" in the frequency department. Not enough kHz's if you know what I mean. That sound should be rich!

Since they're recording new crowd audio, I'm hoping they are developing strong algorithms with respect to when they cheer, how much they do, etc. I'm curious about the recordings themselves, though. I really hope we're in for a treat!
Just to say, i think FIFA's audio is good. The crowds cheer and boo at appropriate times, they get excited at appropriate times, and the in-between atmosphere is spot on if you ask me. When I'm playing a sports game I'm not usually one to notice the crowd audio when engaged in athletic battle LOL, but when I'm playing FIFA, sometimes my focus goes from the game to how the crowd is chanting; that's saying something.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
Rookie

newmich's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Quiet_Pro
Just to say, i think FIFA's audio is good. The crowds cheer and boo at appropriate times, they get excited at appropriate times, and the in-between atmosphere is spot on if you ask me. When I'm playing a sports game I'm not usually one to notice the crowd audio when engaged in athletic battle LOL, but when I'm playing FIFA, sometimes my focus goes from the game to how the crowd is chanting; that's saying something.
I don't think the timing is too bad, it's just the intensity level and the actual sound of it. I know on NBA 2K I remember having a close game in at the same time as I was looking at the OS forums. I happened to click on the video I mentioned in my last post and the intensity and sound difference between the 2 games is night and day.

The disappointing part is I have a nice surround sound so you would think it would sound better on the game but it doesn't.

Me personally I use the crowd noise like a player does. If its quite I find that I'm more laid back, but when the the crowd starts firing up I start to get zoned in like I did in football and track.

Sent from my HUAWEI H881C using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2014, 10:12 PM   #5
Rookie

Feliz__7's Arena

I also want hear the crowd cheer when they're suppose to! For Example: Fans clap when their pitcher makes the batter swing and miss, they cheer when they get struck out, fans get excited when a spectacular play is made by a player or FAN too, a home run (both stunned silence & happy), and the few that stay in the top or bottom of the ninth (me) usually stand up and cheer to see a save or a potential walk off hit or home run! I know that's not everything but that's what I could think of right now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2014, 10:34 PM   #6
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Speaking of which, that would be interesting if teams had a "rivalry" rating against one another, and players had a "respect" rating of some sort. Hear me out on this one:

First let's look at a player's OVR rating. Assume the higher the rating (or the better they have done in the current game or something), the more they will be cheered at home. Likewise, they will generate more of a response on the road if their OVR is higher as well. But if they have a higher "respect" rating, maybe they'll get cheered on the road as well. Of course, if they're playing against a high rival team, they'll probably still be booed haha.

Not something I'd expect to actually see in this game. It's just that there are times where sometimes not everybody cheers or not everybody boos, etc. A combination would be nice, all depending.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 03-02-2014, 11:24 PM   #7
Banned

The_Duke's Arena

Quote:
Speaking of which, that would be interesting if teams had a "rivalry" rating against one another, and players had a "respect" rating of some sort. Hear me out on this one:

First let's look at a player's OVR rating. Assume the higher the rating (or the better they have done in the current game or something), the more they will be cheered at home. Likewise, they will generate more of a response on the road if their OVR is higher as well. But if they have a higher "respect" rating, maybe they'll get cheered on the road as well. Of course, if they're playing against a high rival team, they'll probably still be booed haha.

Not something I'd expect to actually see in this game. It's just that there are times where sometimes not everybody cheers or not everybody boos, etc. A combination would be nice, all depending.
That is a very interesting idea that I'd be all for, and it doesn't seem like something that would be too hard to add. Maybe it would I don't know.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:34 PM   #8
FA

Factzzz's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:

I think something like this would be better done with player traits, like a fan favorite player trait (a guy like McCutchen or Brandon Phillips would have this). These players will get cheered more at home, and even sometimes on the road too.

And then a respect trait (a guy like Derek Jeter would have this). These guys would get talked up by the announcers and other broadcast presentation type things could be added.

Of course there would be a lot more traits too, but as far as your idea, it's pretty good, but i think it'd be executed pretty well using personality/player traits.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »