Home

Fielding....wth?

This is a discussion on Fielding....wth? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2014, 10:00 AM   #33
Rookie

MannTooth24's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Fielding....wth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannTooth24
This is my biggest issue with the game. The lackadaisical approach to ground balls. It has cost me giving up many hits. Easy routine grounders right at a player and they take their time, tap the ball into their glove, crow hop, then throw it to first only to have been beaten there by the runner. And I am always holding the throw button before the ball is fielded. In that case the fielder should know he needs to hurry up and throw the ball right away.

OFers take way too long getting the ball in some times as well. And the animation where if they field the ball by the wall and then they take an extra 5 seconds because they need to put their hands up and brace themselves from hitting the wall needs to be removed. It is such a slow moving animation and there is no way to get around it if you field a double down the line for instance. And then it turns into a triple because of the extra seconds it takes to get out of the animation. Very frustrating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodweaver
Please post video and make bug reports.

Bad OF Animation (youtube clip)

I just came across this video which shows the animation I am talking about that happens to OFers when they field a ball near the wall (happens around the :15 mark). The ball is fielded when the runner has taken 3 strides past 1B and it isn't thrown in until the runner is a stride from 2B. The animation makes the fielder take another few steps and then put their arms out to brace themselves from the wall instead of being able to field the ball and smoothly transition to a throw to the cutoff. As you can see this hit is obviously a double, but that animation allows it to be an easy triple. If the fielder can just field it and then throw it in after a couple steps to slow momentum without being in the "brace" animation it would hold the runner to a double or it would get to the cutoff in time for the runner to be thrown out at 3rd. I think this animation needs to be removed.
With that said, the problem I mentioned in the first paragraph in my quoted post above is even more of a problem IMO (lackadaisical IF throws). Just don't have video of that yet, but I'm sure most know what I am referring to.

Last edited by MannTooth24; 06-24-2014 at 10:11 AM. Reason: More Details
Old 06-24-2014, 10:03 AM   #34
Rookie

Unhappy Re: Fielding....wth?

Quote:
This is my biggest issue with the game. The lackadaisical approach to ground balls. It has cost me giving up many hits. Easy routine grounders right at a player and they take their time, tap the ball into their glove, crow hop, then throw it to first only to have been beaten there by the runner. And I am always holding the throw button before the ball is fielded. In that case the fielder should know he needs to hurry up and throw the ball right away.

OFers take way too long getting the ball in some times as well. And the animation where if they field the ball by the wall and then they take an extra 5 seconds because they need to put their hands up and brace themselves from hitting the wall needs to be removed. It is such a slow moving animation and there is no way to get around it if you field a double down the line for instance. And then it turns into a triple because of the extra seconds it takes to get out of the animation. Very frustrating
I cannot agree more with this sentiment. I can't post a video right now but someone can probably just dig up a gameplay video that shows this, because it occurs every game. The devs haven't noticed this??

I use manual fielding and my shortstop and third baseman routinely take too long to throw across the diamond, whereas the computer can whip a spinning jump-throw off that gets my guy out every time. I see no way to make them throw it faster, whether charging up the throw all the way prior to fielding the ball, or just waiting and quickly pressing the analog stick. I guess I just need to bite the bullet and slow down the runner speed...

(Also, Wes Mantooth...great reference )
Old 06-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #35
Developer

Woodweaver's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacong
do you even play test games? most of this stuff has been in the game for YEARS.
Yes, extensive play testing is done. If you have a video of the "stuff", I'd like to see it. The (very) few cases of video examples I have seen over the YEARS have either been addressed or can be explained by user error. If you have further examples, please forward them along.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2014, 01:51 PM   #36
Rookie

Bacong's Arena

Quote:

I just came across this video which shows the animation I am talking about that happens to OFers when they field a ball near the wall (happens around the :15 mark). The ball is fielded when the runner has taken 3 strides past 1B and it isn't thrown in until the runner is a stride from 2B. The animation makes the fielder take another few steps and then put their arms out to brace themselves from the wall instead of being able to field the ball and smoothly transition to a throw to the cutoff. As you can see this hit is obviously a double, but that animation allows it to be an easy triple. If the fielder can just field it and then throw it in after a couple steps to slow momentum without being in the "brace" animation it would hold the runner to a double or it would get to the cutoff in time for the runner to be thrown out at 3rd. I think this animation needs to be removed.
With that said, the problem I mentioned in the first paragraph in my quoted post above is even more of a problem IMO (lackadaisical IF throws). Just don't have video of that yet, but I'm sure most know what I am referring to.
This isn't a problem, that animation looks natural. He'd have to stop somehow, and he's close to the wall. The problem is when it happens when the OF has no need whatsoever to brace up against the wall.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #37
Developer

Woodweaver's Arena

Quote:

This video shows an animation sequence as specifically designed when a fielder approaches a wall off a catch at speed. Hopefully, we can get an example or two of the cases in the IF. I'm assume there should be many videos with an issue that has been so rampant for years.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #38
Developer

Woodweaver's Arena

Quote:
This isn't a problem, that animation looks natural. He'd have to stop somehow, and he's close to the wall. The problem is when it happens when the OF has no need whatsoever to brace up against the wall.
Please, forward a video when you have a chance.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:59 PM   #39
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

I rarely get the lazy animations, but I almost always charge a ball and pre load my throw. I never wait for the ball to get on me. When playing against people I see the lazy throws, and they almost always wait for the ball to get on them, instead of attacking the grounder.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:43 PM   #40
Rookie

MannTooth24's Arena

Quote:
I don't think it looks natural. I'm not saying this doesn't happen in real life when fielders have to stop themselves by running into the wall if they are extremely close to it, but it takes too long in the game and I think the animation happens some times when a fielder is far enough away where they wouldn't need to run into the wall to stop.
Three or four steps, then hit wall, then pause for a slight moment before finally throwing it in. It's about 2.4 seconds on this specific play from ball being fielded to ball being thrown back in- it feels and looks too long, allowing extra bases when I don't believe it should. On this play in real life I think the fielder would have been able to stop himself before the wall by planting his right foot down after a step or two from fielding the ball and then fire it to the cutoff in a smooth transition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodweaver
This video shows an animation sequence as specifically designed when a fielder approaches a wall off a catch at speed. Hopefully, we can get an example or two of the cases in the IF. I'm assume there should be many videos with an issue that has been so rampant for years.
This is the first year I've played The Show and noticed the IF throwing problem pretty quickly. I have to figure out how to use the Share feature on PS4 to record plays or replays when it happens, but once I do I will be sure to post it for you.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »