Home

Does anyone use the DH in the NL?

This is a discussion on Does anyone use the DH in the NL? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Does anyone use the DH in the NL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eF 5ive
You want the pitcher to hit into a double play? I'd probably bunt too and give my lead off hitter a chance to get that runner from second home. If he just entered the game, why would they burn through the bullpen by PHing already down 7 runs?
Bunting does 1 thing on the norm, prevents the double-play. So you would waste a valuable out, when you only have 17 left, and you are down 7 to 0, for the 'hope' that your leadoff hitter gets a basehit. You're still counting on a base hit, which is a 25% to 33% chance...not exactly odds in your favor (or 67% to 75% that you will get an out instead).

More power to you!

Last edited by Billy...a_kid; 06-13-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
I would never turn the DH off in the NL because it's totally against the history of baseball. It's really weird to use the Astros with a DH.

I don't care what studies say: pitcher up runner on 1st or 2nd and 0 outs I'm bunting every single time.
Actually, I misread this. I would bunt here, too, because then you can score a run with an out from the runner on third.

For me, that is quite different than 1 out, runner on first, down 7 to 0, and bunting to give 2 outs. That is craziness to me.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:41 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy...a_kid
Bunting does 1 thing on the norm, prevents the double-play. So you would waste a valuable out, when you only have 17 left, and you are down 7 to 0, for the 'hope' that your leadoff hitter gets a basehit. You're still counting on a base hit, which is a 25% to 33% chance...not exactly odds in your favor (or 67% to 75% that you will get an out instead).

More power to you!
Yeah, id bank on my lead off hitter getting a hit over my pitcher GIDP. You're 'hoping' your pitcher gets a hit or at the minimum doesn't GIDP. So if a base hit is a 25% chance it's even smaller with a non hitter.

Just me, bro. I know my settings aren't letting me hit a HR, let alone a gapper with a pitcher. It's possible but IMO id take a chance at hitting a gap with my 1 man.

That's the cool thing about the game. You can run your team, and I can run mine. If I hit into a DP I'm cursing knowing I could've bunted to advance the runner and possibly 'rattle' the pitcher by having a runner in scoring position.

It is what it is though!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2014, 11:04 PM   #12
Rookie

moth to a flame's Arena

OVR: 1

Pitchers are hitting .128 this year. Give me the DH.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:41 PM   #13
MVP

RangersCruz's Arena

OVR: 10

I personally like the NL better so no dh
Old 06-14-2014, 02:19 AM   #14
Pro

dbacks_Nation's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by moth to a flame
Pitchers are hitting .128 this year. Give me the DH.
Give me strategy, or give me death.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:32 AM   #15
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Travis Wood has 2 HR's this year. I'm quite all right with no DH.

The strategy of deciding to pinch-hit a pitcher or not in the late innings is one the things I love about the NL. If you want to pinch-hit, you'd better hope: 1. The hitter comes through or else you just wasted an out AND a pitcher and 2. Your bullpen can take care of business. No such decision exists in the AL - they only have to worry about #2 when making a pitching change.

Last edited by bcruise; 06-14-2014 at 02:34 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2014, 03:17 AM   #16
Rookie

2-0 game, bottom of 5th (or maybe 6th), you are losing, your ace is pitching, so do you pinch hit for him because he cannot hit, or leave him in for the excellent pitching (it was an error and a bomb; he's throwing a 1-hitter).

NON-EXISTENT in the AL, literally.

Baseball vs. Mashball; I go purist every time!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »