Home

Fewest runs scored and least given up, every year.

This is a discussion on Fewest runs scored and least given up, every year. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-29-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Fewest runs scored and least given up, every year.

I've played this title a lot since it's inception and one of my main gripes was the "Groundhog Day" feel I got from a disproportionate amount of 2-1 outcomes...

This year, Dynamic Difficulty and Quick Counts have given me better overall stats and a MUCH wider variety of outcomes than ever before...without sending me into a downward "slider spiral"...

I also play one game for every four I sim, so there's a balance between played and simmed games...

Yup, not for everyone I'm sure...but it's DD / QC for me!
Old 06-29-2014, 01:40 PM   #10
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

A lot of factors go into determining run totals.

Hits/extra base hits are usually the most obvious, but when I look at my own game, I try to look at everything.

Stolen base attempts and success rates are very important. This advances runners into scoring position which is obviously advantageous to runs.

Errors per game are important too. These add baserunners and give the offensive more attempts to create chaos. Around 0.56 per team per game is a nice area to be in.

K/9 rate is another one I look at. When a batter strikes out, it's one of the few outcomes that never allows the ball into the play out field. Even grounding out or popping the ball up can sometims result in an error or a runner advancing a base or bases, bettering their opportunity to score. Look at this in tandem with BABIP.

GIDP's are actually worse than strikeouts. These kills rallies for obvious reasons.

Though the last one is hard to "slider," knowing why runs are or aren't scoring is an asset because it gives you - the player - a graspable way to articulate your areas of concern or the information you need to seek out help with.

Basically, check out mlb.com or baseball reference for some team and league averages, look over everything and compare it to your Franchise. I think you'll be surprised how clear the answer usually is.

Last edited by Heroesandvillains; 06-29-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:21 PM   #11
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

no issues here, early in the season 2nd in ERA and 5th in Runs (Reds -OS Ride The Pine)

http://theshownation.com/franchises/...ings?stat=Runs
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2014, 10:19 PM   #12
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
That is definitely the slider to issue some more walks, no doubt. But I don't want to do it at the expense of me giving up bombs left and right. I have always played with it slightly lowered. I have HUM consistency and control both at 4. What are your settings for these? I'm thinking about lowering consistency to 3 and seeing how that works out.
I believe I have both of mine at 4 as well, but I'll double check and update this if one is different.

Watch me play video games
Old 06-29-2014, 10:37 PM   #13
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencollarbaseball
@legendmode, If your asking me, my team BA is .243 but its .226 with RISP I also have 717 hits. To put that into perspective, I'm 6 games ahead of the real life schedule, in real life Oakland is hitting .254 and have 711 hits. They have 331 walks compared to my 145. Again, I've played 86 games and Oakland has played 80.

Now to the OP, have you tried quick counts? It has brought my numbers to within realistic on both sides of the ball.
That is interesting, you're to me doing fine as a hitter but you'll have to get over the hump with risp. Or hit more solo HRs. My approach with risp is I 80% of the time ignore the baserunners and focus on my at bat, and I only employ baserunning strategy in concentrated situations. It's impossible though to split your attention between baserunners and being at the plate.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:45 PM   #14
Pro

Mrmagoo's Arena

OVR: 0

I become even more picky at the plate with risp
Old 06-30-2014, 12:10 AM   #15
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by @legendm0de
That is interesting, you're to me doing fine as a hitter but you'll have to get over the hump with risp. Or hit more solo HRs. My approach with risp is I 80% of the time ignore the baserunners and focus on my at bat, and I only employ baserunning strategy in concentrated situations. It's impossible though to split your attention between baserunners and being at the plate.
For the most part I ignore the runner, unless it's Coco or another speedy guy. My main problem on hitting with risp, is I press too much and try to do more than I should and swing at bad pitches. That's why Donaldson and Moss are hitting .221 and .186 (total avg) on the season. The guys that I just go up there and relax with are doing well (well, relatively) with risp.

Now, I'm not blaming anything on sliders or gameplay things, it is plain and simple me not doing what I need to do to. I actually really, really like my game and slider setup. I just need to draw more walks and not press with risp.

Edit:
I also want to add that my record through 87 games is 52-35, which is also very close to Oakland's record through 81 games of 51-30.

2020: 52-39

Last edited by Greencollarbaseball; 06-30-2014 at 02:40 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2014, 05:37 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
That is definitely the slider to issue some more walks, no doubt. But I don't want to do it at the expense of me giving up bombs left and right. I have always played with it slightly lowered. I have HUM consistency and control both at 4. What are your settings for these? I'm thinking about lowering consistency to 3 and seeing how that works out.
Where are you with striking out the opponent, how often are you throwing first pitch strikes? Where are you with BB given?

Sounds like you need to increase some CPU offense and take the losses if you team BA is near the league avg. not saying you need to let the CPU just hit bombs but if you are pitching to a top hitter with your 5 guy with no fear because you know your sliders handicap the CPU to "sim stats" then IMO that's why you obtain these predictable results.

I've had 2 hit games, I've had 15 hit games. I had a series vs the Jays they hit +15 in back to back games. Frustrating as hell but IMO some of these slider sets lock the game into semi predetermined results.

If that makes sense.

Obviously don't fall into slider itis but adjust -/+ 1 after like two months. Good hitting/pitching per player doesn't need an adjustment but if you notice an extreme as a whole then obv change.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »