Home

MLB 15 The Show: What needs to change in order for you to purchase

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show: What needs to change in order for you to purchase within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2014, 07:38 PM   #49
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56
Re: MLB 15 The Show: What needs to change in order for you to purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhslancers
In the Konami PYS game the pitcher cuts off the throws to home stationed on the left or right side of the pitcher's mound. You do see the occasional overthrow but the runner is nearly always caught at 2nd trying to stretch out the hit.

It is a simple shoulder button press.
I don't believe that is the cutoff throw that guys are alluding to.
They mean the cutoff throw from the OF to a infielder other than the pitcher on a throw to home in order to cut down the guy scoring....not the guy taking the extra base(which leads me to something that needs updating...HAVING guys take the extra base on throws home)
If the pitcher is taking cutoffs from the OF on throws home....he's out of position IMO...he should be backing up the throw behind home plate.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 08-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #50
Pro

hampshirestags's Arena

OVR: 0

I will buy it with no improvement as it is currently the best baseball video game on the market. However, for the product to advance as a simulator that baseball nerds will enjoy, we must have stats.

In-depth/advanced sabremetric cumulative data on every team/player would be too perfect, so my simple request is to store what is currently being calculated and display it for multiple years. In my simplistic mind, it is 2-3 new (very basic) GUI's pulling from a data table that already exists (logic is currently present to calculate) and seems to get deleted for the new year. The data is not required for in-game reference so memory/speed should not be an issue.

Of course, if it were that easy, I imagine it would've been done by now...but imo, the game is incomplete without it.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:38 PM   #51
Pro

Stolm's Arena

MLB The Show is the only sports title I play so I spend a lot of time with it.

Though this year I am playing significantly less then previous years. Part of this is because the game is becoming quite stale, another reason is the stripping of certain features and options I've noticed over the last couple years.

Features like the Signs from the 3rd Base Coach from 12 were totally stripped from the game. This gave a lot of life and to the baserunning game, and being asked to drop a bunt down in certain situations is certainly more immersive.

The Green Light for Baserunning was also great. It made you be extra careful as getting caught to many times would have the manager keep you from stealing, and if you stole anyway you were benched. Another realistic immersive feature.

Also I really miss the Newspaper that had a brief recap of the previous game played. I know it wasn't the greatest thing, but if they weren't going to improve on it, they didn't have to remove it. It almost added a kind of RPG type feel to the game.

Another thing I miss this year is the classic bunting option. Again not sure why this was removed.

One thing I really hope they do going forward is to focus on improving what is in the game already, and not cramming in a bunch of new modes and systems. They really need to focus on the Core modes. Franchise, RTTS, Online. Thinking of all the improvements to these core modes we could have gotten, instead we get Show Live, Community Challenges, etc. Maybe I am the only one, but I only ever touch those other modes, if there is a trophy associated with it. Then once I am done, It's back to RTTS and Franchise until the next year.

Hell, I'd happily give up all those new modes for working stable online. Would have been great to see all those extra resources go into improving that instead of the community challenge feature. I have only played one online game ever and that was back in The Show 12. I don't even bother trying because I know how bad it is.

RTTS needs major attention in 15.

It's all a little lifeless imo, there is zero interaction between your player and your teammates beyond the "ask manager for promotion/trade" button. Giving us the option to say spend extra time working on certain fielding drills with fellow players. For example maybe if you are a 2B and practice turning a double play with your SS you could get a kind of "familiarity bonus" to fielding interactions between the two of you. Even though its a small thing, it's realistic and makes sense, it makes you feel more part of a team, then just tossing a ball to a scripted lifeless bot.

Some VO from teammates on the field wouldn't hurt either. Or have the 1st and 3rd base coaches talk to you after you reach base.

I'd really like to see you RTTS player have some sort of manager/representation when negotiating contracts too, instead of calculating my stats through a war calculator and asking for a deal they won't agree to.

A couple little things I would like to see is more customization while creating battings stances, actually have the ability to customize how you stand, arm placement, if you tap your foot or not. Much better than the locked stances that are currently in the game. Batting stances really need an overhaul, with all the glitchy sliding of feet after you step in the batters box, and certain stances where the bat will actually be clipping through your head. (Forsythe). I'd like to see the teleporting back to the box set after you foul a ball fixed as well. Keep that for quick play exclusive. I hate fouling a ball, and then instantly have to be ready to for the next pitch, let me wander outta the box for a sec.

Like most people I'd like to see some real brands in the game for all equipment, even fake brands would be better than the generic looking equipment we have now.

Each year there seems to be a certain bug that absolutely kills the game, and is never fixed. In 12 it was the drop strike by the catcher that would freeze all play in RTTS and you would have to quit out. This year its the not being able to move into double play depth randomly. Fix that.

Though gameplay is far and away more important than graphics, the game is starting to look dated, especially with the ps4 game being little more than a touched up ps3 version. 60 fps locked would be great. And the player models need a massive makeover. Hopefully we can see them made over in tandem with new animations and batting stances.

And for the love of god include a calibration system in 15. Timing is too important in baseball to not have one. Ever since 12 the game has felt terribly floaty because of the extended timing window. Hitting in 12 felt perfect, extremely responsive, difficult but rewarding. Since I have moved to a fast gaming monitor I have been pulling everything into the seats. I have to purposefully be late on everything, it isn't fun.

So what needs to change for me to purchase?

I'll need to see some significant work put into the established modes.
If next year is just 14 with a few new modes I will never play, and the same broken online, this might be the first Show I skip.

I know the post is long, but I'm passionate.

Last edited by Stolm; 08-24-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2014, 03:36 AM   #52
Rookie

I think it's time practice swings looked organic. They still have that same unnatural return-to-stance as games from the PSX and N64 era. Get real mo-cap from each player, including their routines at the plate.

As has been said, Franchise and RTTS need to be more immersive. The grind to play through a season in Franchise gets boring and tedious when there's nothing to keep me excited week-in and week-out.

Stat tracking.

Graphical improvements and refinements. The new hair is great when it doesn't look like Barbie doll hair. Some players look far better than others in this regard. I'd like to see body types done away with completely as well, instead each player individually sculpted, and tools to do the same in CAP.

The commentary is pretty bad, now. With all the years of Matty V, you'd think there'd be a wealth of commentary, but I hear the same lines game in and game out. It always sounds like they take turns reading lines, it's very unnatural.

Cut-aways to other games, re-cap shows, improved post-game, actual fly-overs, anything to spice up presentation.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:17 AM   #53
Rookie

Here are my suggestions. Many have been stated before.

1. Weekly wrap up show similar to 2k5 (to tie in RTTS and franchise more into the league)
2. Create a stadium/expansion/move the team in franchise. (Give us the tools to create the stadiums of the future and recreate classic stadiums that would be too costly for them to license) also uniform creation.
3. Commentary
4. Greater pomp and circumstance given to RTTS Career milestones (being drafted, first mlb game, becoming a superstar, breaking records, acre wing awards, final year/game of your career, hall of fame induction ceremony). Cutscenes, dialogue and commentary specifically relating to these events.
5. Player traits - factors like Team Leader, Mentor, journeyman, Showboat, franchise player, etc. That effect the animations and way players play in the game and effect how they're talked about or seen by others.
6. Much improved trade logic - too often CPU teams mAke nonsensical trades and totally shatter real world rosters with in a season or two of franchise or RTTS. I think #5 could actually help a lot with this. The odds of a team trading a franchise player when he's at the top of his skill/popularity is basically 0. So by ranking players with realistic team/ league roles such franchise player or journey man or utility you could get more accurate trades. For example, players like Posey, Trout, Kershaw, Mccutchen will stay on their respective for many seasons because they mean more than just stats to their teams and fans.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:22 AM   #54
Pro

dougdfc's Arena

I thought of a few more things. Too many times do I see a noodle armed 19 year old with a facial hair nobody in the world under the age of 50 sports, wearing stirrups or the shorter pants, a gigantic elbow brace, pine tar all over the helmet(but not on the bat), and other things that just don't happen all the time. The RNG needs to be adjusted to match the rarity of certain things. It feels like you already did it with the Helmets, seeing as the S100 helmet is all you see, period.

Swings. If you see a two handed batter, he's got the same swing as the next guy. But Anyone can see that Hunter Pence and Chase Utley have two drastically different swings. Not in the Show. To go on this, some batting stances are just flat out wrong(See: Chase Utley, I've been watching him since 2003, and he has NEVER done that)

But my favorite is the first baseman on ground balls. If he's not within some designated zone, he won't even try to go to the bag, even against Adrian Gonzalez. Same with double plays. He'll throw the ball to second, be a foot away from the bag, and just stand there, expecting my to get there in time

And I know I said it a million times, but for christssake, bring the animations up to date!

Last edited by dougdfc; 08-25-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:43 AM   #55
MVP

geisterhome's Arena

OVR: 44

franchise mode needs to improve, i wish the show was a ootp light, but the managerial aspects are pretty much non existing, the immersion factor is low, as somebody said it simply doesn't feel alive. they need to add a lot of depth to it. i honestly find it hard to understand how somebody can play this game as manage only.

-Glad to be an Operation Sports Member!-
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2014, 12:44 PM   #56
Pro

torpidbeaver's Arena

OVR: 2

1. Get rid of the creepy, soulless, uncanny valley eyeballs, especially for created/fictional/non-mo-capped players.

2. Add more stats and more stat tracking.

3. Gangland-slay that corrupt, corner-pinching pile of fat, Joe McDonald.

But really, Day 1 purchase for me. In fact, I'll probably wander the city's smaller stores trying to finagle it a few days before release date like I did this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »