Home

New player attributes that you'd like to see

This is a discussion on New player attributes that you'd like to see within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #41
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: New player attributes that you'd like to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Just a few thoughts.....

On clutch....you can't really count the "clutch" rating in the Show as some sort of magical "you get lucky" attribute as it is talked about IRL.
It's just a modifier for certain situational hitting that is/can be tracked.
As any other real life stat or attribute in the game....past performance is not necessarily indicative of future performance, but...
But this is precisely why there doesn't need to be a CLUTCH rating. Players don't sustain any long term performance in the clutch; their performance regresses to their normal performance level with a large enough sample. Basically, the CLUTCH attribute just interferes with the normal skill that should play out in those situations. There doesn't need to be any modifier for situational hitting. Not to mention that since CLUTCH doesn't really exist, there's no way to accurately represent the rating for it. It's basically a guessing game where you give Jack Morris and David Ortiz a 99 and toss a 99-sided coin for everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
The current attributes cover everything. I suspect some people don't understand what all the attributes do.
Yep. Too true. I'm sure there are many people on this planet who do not have a Ph.D. in MLB The Show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
On the batting side I have a few small wishes:

One, that the left/right split for the "Power" attribute be removed (except for on switch hitters). The arm a pitcher uses to throw does not affect the muscular composition of a hitter. He still has the same power.

Two, that the "Plate Vision" rating be split by left/right handedness, since that's the real and only reason any real-life splits exist. It's the hitter's ability to read the pitch and make contact on it that varies by pitcher, and leads to the dramatic splits we see in many hitters.

Three, that bunting be fleshed out into attributes for drag bunting and sac bunting, as many have already requested.
The plate vision I already mentioned in the OP...I agree.

But aren't there already drag bunt and regular bunt ratings separated from each other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
You're right. This is the case for many hitters. I guess this comes down to a philosophical difference. Do you think Brandon Belt changes his swing on purpose? I don't. I think he has inferior abilities reading pitches, which results in getting fooled more often, which in turn breaks down his swing. If you believe he changes his swing intentionally, then I concede there is no real way to account for that without splitting Power.

Incidentally, he has 17 HRs against LHP, in 486 ABs... he has 46 HRs against RHP in 1327 ABs. His HR-to-At-Bat ratios are actually almost identical: 3.5% of his at-bats end in a home run, regardless of the pitcher. It's only the fact that he has 3x as many ABs against righties that lead to the skewed stats.

Isn't that exactly what is going on? John Olerud also batted .030 (.300 vs .270) points lower and hit far fewer doubles and triples against LHP. This is true even after you account for the difference in at-bats vs each. Olerud is "worse" by every definition, and in every metric.

And it's also worth noting that the Contact-split (which already exists in The Show) would remain, and rightfully so. I'm not against a split in Contact. So that's two ratings: Contact and PV, that account for platoon differences.

I'm not saying my idea is perfect by any means - There's certainly better ideas out there... my main concern is that splitting power does far more harm than good when it comes to producing realistic stats. The Brandon Belt example is a great one. Who knows how many hitters in The Show have a 10 or 20-point power difference between sides because someone glanced at their stats (no offense) and assumed he was worse from one side, when in reality, he just had far fewer opportunities?

Maybe there are a small number of "anomalies" over the years - hitters that literally do have better power against one side (though I have yet to see one, again, excluding switch hitters). But there is a far greater number of hitters who are "normal," and it bothers me that a random hitter, or even the auto-generated hitters, have such drastically split power ratings.

I guess what I really want is a change in the way power ratings for new/made-up players are auto-generated, as well as a change in the way they are assigned to real-life players.

Like 95% of the time, Power vs LHP and Power vs RHP should be exactly the same, if not locked together.
LOL. I can't speak for other rosters, but I break things down into rates (HR%, BB%, K%) to compare everyone equally. Taking gross stats and not accounting for opportunities would result in a very poor roster. I would hope no decent roster maker would make this mistake.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2016, 07:37 PM   #42
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
One player had a fuss over his Madden rating once...
lol Madden and their players union is a very bad comparison to MLB and theirs. Maybe a steroid attribute can be implemented come to think of it...
Old 01-23-2016, 12:31 PM   #43
Prince of Plakata

Jolly Roger's Arena

OVR: 0

Maybe some manager attributes (more like tendency sliders, really) for things like:

- How often he shuffles the lineup/gives guys days off
- Tendency to pull pitchers sooner or later
- Hit and run frequency, bunt, small ball frequency

On the other hand, I don't know to what degree there's an appreciable difference between managers on these strategies, so maybe it would be hard to quantify.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:19 PM   #44
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger
Maybe some manager attributes (more like tendency sliders, really) for things like:

- How often he shuffles the lineup/gives guys days off
- Tendency to pull pitchers sooner or later
- Hit and run frequency, bunt, small ball frequency

On the other hand, I don't know to what degree there's an appreciable difference between managers on these strategies, so maybe it would be hard to quantify.
How about this idea that would never happen...invite the managers in (since they are the real life counterparts mostly and fair game for SCEA to rate) and have them rate themselves in each of these areas. On a scale of 1-10, how often do you like to....[insert baseball decision here]? That would really add depth and make the managers a factor. Right now the little global +2, +1, -2 stuff you get with managers is kinda lame, imo. I mean having a specific manager doesn't actually make a player more talented!
Old 01-23-2016, 06:46 PM   #45
Rookie

Sip_16's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
I mean having a specific manager doesn't actually make a player more talented!
I believe in real life managers don't really make players better or more talented they just put them in the best situation to succeed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2016, 07:38 PM   #46
Rookie

smichaelis9's Arena

A cool attribute 2K added this year is the Peak Age Start and Peak Age End With every player going down once they turn 33 being the case every year it seems, I think that adding this to the game would be very helpful. Say David Ortiz for example... He is still raking in his late 30's and yet by the end of the season in ever year of the show he is down to like a 70 overall rating at best. I think this would be extremely helpful.

One other thing I'm hoping for is for StatCast to make a big impression on a lot of things. One of these would be the Route Efficiency stat, perfect for all outfielders.

I think that Exit Velocity would be a nice attribute for players, atleast being worked into the contact attribute, maybe like a "Hard Contact" attribute. Hard contact is a slider I believe so that shouldn't be to hard add in. This could also be used for Pitchers. This could also maybe help determine the broken bat tendencies.

Also, HR Distance others have spoken on it, but a HR attribute, and a separate power attribute would be cool. Having even another separate "HR POW" attribute like others talked about based on this data would be cool to see. Stanton's Homers should be going much further than someone like Buster Posey even. Posey will hit an okay amount of home runs, but his are not usually going way out like Stanton's.

Another thing that I'd love to see is the use of Tendencies like 2K uses. Having a pull/slap tendency or something more peculiar like for a pitcher the tendency of players trying to steal a base with them on the mound, and the other way around, like a player stealing against a RHP vs a LHP. Stuff like this would help immerse the game in ways that help make an already very well made, and realistic game even better and even more realistic!
Old 01-23-2016, 07:55 PM   #47
Rookie

chaz526's Arena

This isn't a new attribute, but rather, a way to represent them. Something I LOVE about OOTP is the option to have a 20-80 ratings scale.

For those unfamiliar with this scale, it's what a majority of scouts use to evaluate talent. Each player has a current rating and future rating somewhere on that 20-80 scale, in increments of 5. a rating of 50 would be league average. ratings like 45 or 55 would be called "fringe-average." Ratings close to 80 are considered elite, with 80's typically only handed out for generational talent. For example, Giancarlo Stanton's power.

If MLBTS had an option to represent ratings this way, or something similar and not quite as granular, I'd be over the moon!
Old 01-23-2016, 07:58 PM   #48
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz526
This isn't a new attribute, but rather, a way to represent them. Something I LOVE about OOTP is the option to have a 20-80 ratings scale.

For those unfamiliar with this scale, it's what a majority of scouts use to evaluate talent. Each player has a current rating and future rating somewhere on that 20-80 scale, in increments of 5. a rating of 50 would be league average. ratings like 45 or 55 would be called "fringe-average." Ratings close to 80 are considered elite, with 80's typically only handed out for generational talent. For example, Giancarlo Stanton's power.

If MLBTS had an option to represent ratings this way, or something similar and not quite as granular, I'd be over the moon!
The 20-80 scale would be great, one of the features I wish MLBTS would borrow from OOTP...as well as all the minors

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »