Home

Do you intentionally throw off speed pitches up in the zone?

This is a discussion on Do you intentionally throw off speed pitches up in the zone? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Do you intentionally throw off speed pitches up in the zone?
Yes 50 33.78%
No 98 66.22%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2016, 12:14 PM   #33
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Do you intentionally throw off speed pitches up in the zone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
Thank you for voting! I am pleased to see the results reflect OS as a community where the majority stays true to baseball. The results show me that 30% of OS plays video game baseball and 70% play baseball.

If you voted "Yes", then you probably play more online. It's what I've seen in online play. It's what I expect if I were to play online ever again (I won't). It's about playing the video game and disregarding true baseball philosophies.

If you voted "No", you understand that not a single pitcher on the face of the planet intentionally throws an off speed pitch up in the zone. I'm going to assume you love the game of baseball and offline play is where you spend most, if not all, of your gaming time.

*I will conceded that knuckle balls are a different animal. You are just trying to throw them for strikes IRL. I never had one in my repertoire nor did I know anybody who did. I still feel confident any pitcher throwing a knuckle would prefer it be lower in the strike zone.
Oh brother...I've been accused of playing video game baseball when I play this game. How will I ever cope?
Old 02-25-2016, 12:25 PM   #34
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

OVR: 0

I feel like this is back when RTTS first came out and you had certain people saying "Real baseball fans wouldn't bother with an arcade mode like RTTS. True fans play franchise.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:33 PM   #35
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Now what would be interesting is if that 30% told how successful they feel they are by throwing up in the zone lol. They might just be ahead of their time. I admit I might go against conventional wisdom when it comes to video game baseball. I have tried to break up a no-hitter in the 9th with a bunt. I have stolen bases in late innings with large lead. I've even bunted with Josh Hamilton & 2 outs before too. And I enjoyed every minute of it
#44Syracuse
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2016, 12:58 PM   #36
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
Now what would be interesting is if that 30% told how successful they feel they are by throwing up in the zone lol. They might just be ahead of their time. I admit I might go against conventional wisdom when it comes to video game baseball. I have tried to break up a no-hitter in the 9th with a bunt. I have stolen bases in late innings with large lead. I've even bunted with Josh Hamilton & 2 outs before too. And I enjoyed every minute of it
That just makes you an *******...

Obviously I'm being sarcastic
Old 02-25-2016, 12:59 PM   #37
Pro

ryanmc564's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Only time I would even consider it is with a pitcher who has a great 12-6 so I could try and drop it at the top at the already too high strike zone in the game.

But even then the situation would have to be okay to risk it.

totally agree, like a Adam Wainwright curve ball, I will throw one way up in the zone to where its barely hits the top of the strike zone, I've seen him throw that pitch in real life, whether it was a mistake location or not doesn't matter its fooled the batter.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:01 PM   #38
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
I think it's just that because of the camera angle often used in the game, high fast ball and high changeup are very difficult to distinguish right after pitch release (because they travel relatively little out of line of sight), and the in-game pitcher delivery/pitch release is always consistent that the game doesn't offer enough to tip off pitch types that real-life batter could take advantage of. That likely makes high changeup more effective in the game than in real life.

However, real-life pitchers (though probably not by intention) also end up leaving/hanging chageups high in the strike zone more often than we think.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:14 PM   #39
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

With the way the CPU bunts at the weirdest times, I certainly throw off speed high when I think they are going to bunt. Much better chance of them popping up or fouling off said bunt attempt.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:27 PM   #40
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
Thank you for voting! I am pleased to see the results reflect OS as a community where the majority stays true to baseball. The results show me that 30% of OS plays video game baseball and 70% play baseball.

If you voted "Yes", then you probably play more online. It's what I've seen in online play. It's what I expect if I were to play online ever again (I won't). It's about playing the video game and disregarding true baseball philosophies.

If you voted "No", you understand that not a single pitcher on the face of the planet intentionally throws an off speed pitch up in the zone. I'm going to assume you love the game of baseball and offline play is where you spend most, if not all, of your gaming time.

*I will conceded that knuckle balls are a different animal. You are just trying to throw them for strikes IRL. I never had one in my repertoire nor did I know anybody who did. I still feel confident any pitcher throwing a knuckle would prefer it be lower in the strike zone.
I find this the most ridiculous conclusion every reached by a poll in just about the whole history of OS. LOL

Now I am reasonably sure is this meant to be a little on the light hearted side but let me add:

I have never played even one inning of online baseball in my entire life of video game baseball. I finished 3 and half years of my Nationals offline franchise with '15. If you take this factor of throwing high off speed as the sole factor of whether someone plays "video game baseball" or whether they play online or off?

Like I posted before, I throw high off speed to battle the cpu mechanics which can be very unrealistic at times. So I don't see how my adjusting play style to compete against an opponent is considered as against baseball logic or the determining factor of whether I love baseball or not.

If we all stuck to "true baseball" philosophies then baseball would not be the sport it is today. For better or worse going against the norm is part of the game of baseball.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »