Home

RTTS Game watch altered/removed

This is a discussion on RTTS Game watch altered/removed within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-30-2016, 08:08 PM   #33
Pro

Stolm's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: RTTS Game watch altered/removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
We audit options every year or every other year. Nothing is free as we've stated countless times everything..............everything..............ev erything comes at a development, time, and resource cost. We can not just leave 1 million different options in the game anymore. The maintenance cost is too great. So if there are options, game modes, etc.. that aren't used by more than 1% of the people who play the game they are going to be removed most likely. It's the lowest common denominator.

This particular option was used by 0.04% of 100% of the people who played RTTS. Is it unfortunate that the 0.04% who used it in the past can't of course it is. But we can't be everything to everyone all the time.
Sure, but the option to use Game Watch or Play by Play (which was used by 100% of people last year) are still in the game, they are just implemented in the worst and most confusing way possible.

Having to babysit it at the end of each cutscene, and actually pressing the button to tell the game you want to use it each and everytime, where it then end ups skipping the current scene. It's poor design, period.

It would have been easier just to have a toggle under presentation options, instead it's actually even more confusing having to snipe an option at the end of each cutscene.

Edit: And keeping things like the full batters box animations, and restoring Broadcast mode to how it was before is not about keeping or adding options, it's about keeping the game experience intact, for those who actually like the pace of baseball, and want to enjoy the experience. Being constantly rushed through the game is annoying, and the opposite of enjoyable.

Last edited by Stolm; 03-30-2016 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:53 PM   #34
Rookie

Quote:
We audit options every year or every other year. Nothing is free as we've stated countless times everything..............everything..............ev erything comes at a development, time, and resource cost. We can not just leave 1 million different options in the game anymore. The maintenance cost is too great. So if there are options, game modes, etc.. that aren't used by more than 1% of the people who play the game they are going to be removed most likely. It's the lowest common denominator.

This particular option was used by 0.04% of 100% of the people who played RTTS. Is it unfortunate that the 0.04% who used it in the past can't of coursework it is. But we can't be everything to everyone all the time.
Russell,

Thanks for taking the time to reply! We really appreciate your hands on approach.

There are aspects of the change to Game Watch that I really like. I like the fewer menus and seamless gameplay. My only ask is this: between plays when given the option to press triangle or O can you patch it to where if you press nothing it will continue with your last choice. Basically, if you pressed O to game watch three plays ago, let it stay that way unless you push X or triangle. If you pressed X on the last out, and don't push anything then it will continue to advance you to your next appearance.

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2016, 09:32 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLiott
Russell, thanks for taking the time to reply! We really appreciate your hands on approach.
Seconded. Ramone’s deep involvement in the community is one of the things that makes The Show great year after year.

Quote:
We audit options every year or every other year. … So if there are options, game modes, etc. that aren't used by more than 1% of the people who play the game they are going to be removed most likely.
This was my gut feeling, and it makes the most sense given your repeated statements about the limited resources.

Quote:
This particular option was used by 0.04% of 100% of the people who played RTTS.
I laughed out loud when I read this. Sometimes we don’t know just how small our small minority is!

I’ve officially moved to acceptance of this gameplay decision. It is evident the direction for RTTS is moving to quick moments of play; perhaps the future will see more between-play cutscenes and more non-gameplay involvement of our created characters. Who knows?

One thing this has unintentionally resulted in is that my technique of playing Season Mode with automatic lineups and rotations, and with Player Lock on (rotating through one spot in the lineup per game, mind you), has shifted to more traditional exhibition-style play which has also taught me how to pitch better.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2016, 09:46 PM   #36
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolm
I can't see myself putting too much time into RTTS this year with how it is.

It's a chopped up mess, and not enjoyable at all.

Honestly what is the thinking behind having Hybrid,Broadcast, and Quickplay, when they are all almost identical at this point?

I just don't get it.
For RTTS I am sticking with '15. They have really F'd it up in '16.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:24 PM   #37
Rookie

I figured it'd be a small percentage of people who even cared about this. The consensus is that no one is gonna bother sitting through a portion of the game they can't control. Not to mention having a career means getting through thousands of plate apperances/innings pitched or hundreds of save situations.

Everyone i know has generally accepted that RTTS is that mode you play where you don't feel like sitting through a whole game anyway.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:46 PM   #38
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLiott
Russell,

Thanks for taking the time to reply! We really appreciate your hands on approach.

There are aspects of the change to Game Watch that I really like. I like the fewer menus and seamless gameplay. My only ask is this: between plays when given the option to press triangle or O can you patch it to where if you press nothing it will continue with your last choice. Basically, if you pressed O to game watch three plays ago, let it stay that way unless you push X or triangle. If you pressed X on the last out, and don't push anything then it will continue to advance you to your next appearance.

Thanks!

I'll try and push that one through the next patch, can't promise anything though.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:01 AM   #39
Rookie

Quote:
I'll try and push that one through the next patch, can't promise anything though.
Seriously? Dude, you inspire me to be better at my job 😂. You're the man! Even if you can't make it happen, the fact that you listened and said you'd try is so incredibly admirable.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:34 AM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Amazing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »