Home

Time to waive the white flag?

This is a discussion on Time to waive the white flag? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #49
Rookie

buziii's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Time to waive the white flag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT
Don't give up--I think the '16 version is so good that it's well worth this initial effort to figure it out! ...and so it's probably worth it to give 'Dynamic' hitting a try.

Dynamic Difficulty is a setting which starts you hitting at the lowest level (that's the only bad thing, as you unfortunately you can't begin at a higher level). So initially you will find it rather easy to hit. But as you improve, the level of difficulty will gradually--and automatically--increase until it reaches a level that you are comfortable with--it doesn't matter what that ends up being really, as long as it is a good challenge for you. Dynamic actually uses more, lets call them "sub-levels" within veteran, all-star, etc, than you get by picking a level on your own, so theoretically it should be better at getting you to exactly the proper level for your ability.

So if you decide to try Dynamic, just go into your 'Gameplay Options' / 'Batting & Baserunning' and switch the Hitting Difficulty to 'Dynamic'. Then go into the slider settings and move the top slider, 'Dynamic Difficulty Sensitivity' all the way to the right (lvl 10) so your level of difficulty will increase as quickly as possible towards your proper setting. Once you get to where it seems correct--where hitting feels like it's a proper challenge--you can always lower that slider back down. As far as knowing when it's "right", I know some people suggest setting that slider back to zero to "lock it in", but I'm not sure just reducing it back down to 5 (or maybe 3-ish) wouldn't make more sense for you. The game will then keep monitoring your level and keep making marginal adjustments if necessary as you keep improving or if you were to start having trouble again. It just won't be adjusting nearly as fast. You should notice when your leveling up basically stops.

One last note. In the Gameplay Option, the last screen is the 'General' tab. There is a Dynamic Difficulty Update selection you need to make to pick how often you are notified of your current level. The choices are 'Progress' where you are notified every time you improve or decline; 'New Level' only notifies you when you go up or down a FULL level; or 'Game Start' where your current level is displayed at the beginning of every game. At first your level will likely improve rapidly, so it's up to you if you want to get updates on your screen all the time. You can obviously change that any time, so pick what you think suits you and go from there. Hope that helps explains it well enough for you, but good luck whatever way you go!
Very good information on how this works. Thanks! I'm going to try this. One question...I'm currently playing my first game with the dynamic settings. I set it to notify me on the level at the beginning of every game, since I think this is the most frequent notification available. I didn't notice the notification when I started this game. Is it possible to find the level in a menu somewhere during a game?
Old 04-06-2016, 11:22 AM   #50
MVP

bronxbombers21325's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgess
I have played this game every year. I play on AllStar with timed hitting. I use Armour and Swords sliders. Every year I have been challenged, but have been able to hit reasonably well. I have hit 4 homers in a game, but have also gone 4 games without a homer. I have got 17 hits in a game, but also been shut down in others. I have loved how realistic this game had played for me. However, something seems different this year - I simply can't hit. I have played around 10 games and the most hits I have got in a game is 6 with only 2 homers. The game looks great and I would love to play it. But I'm getting very frustrated with the results. Anyone having the same issues? Do I just need to play more? I'm seriously giving thoughts of waiving the white flag and going back to 2015.
Yes, I too found hitting harder this year, which was great because I thought it was too easy the last few years. I've had to swallow my pride and lower it to veteran hitting. Left the sliders at default, and have been getting very good results. I've had to move pitching up though, and still find it too easy.
New York Yankees, Pittsburgh Steelers, Kentucky Wildcats, #18 Kyle Busch, #4B Jackie Boggs, #0 Scott Bloomquist
Old 04-06-2016, 11:38 AM   #51
Hall of Fame

jb12780's Arena

OVR: 23

That's baseball Suzyn.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2016, 11:41 AM   #52
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buziii
Very good information on how this works. Thanks! I'm going to try this. One question...I'm currently playing my first game with the dynamic settings. I set it to notify me on the level at the beginning of every game, since I think this is the most frequent notification available. I didn't notice the notification when I started this game. Is it possible to find the level in a menu somewhere during a game?
Actually 'Progress' is the most frequent notification setting. If you select that one, you will get notified of your progression quite frequently--after nearly every hit as you start off. So that would be the best setting to choose if you want to know how fast you're progressing. As for finding your current level in a menu--it might be somewhere(?) but I don't know where--sorry. Maybe someone else on the thread can offer that info.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:13 PM   #53
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT
Actually 'Progress' is the most frequent notification setting. If you select that one, you will get notified of your progression quite frequently--after nearly every hit as you start off. So that would be the best setting to choose if you want to know how fast you're progressing. As for finding your current level in a menu--it might be somewhere(?) but I don't know where--sorry. Maybe someone else on the thread can offer that info.
I don't think you can see your current level outside of the in-game notifications. And I actually recommend going to the least frequent notification option (beginning of every game) that way you're just playing and not trying to raise the level. That can get you into bad habits and press to try to hit HRs every AB

Watch me play video games
Old 04-06-2016, 01:22 PM   #54
Rookie

buziii's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
I don't think you can see your current level outside of the in-game notifications. And I actually recommend going to the least frequent notification option (beginning of every game) that way you're just playing and not trying to raise the level. That can get you into bad habits and press to try to hit HRs every AB
I'm finding you're right about the frequent notification! But, this is just a temporary franchise (waiting for OSFM) to learn how things work, so I think I'll keep it on for a little while to see how it works. Right now it briefly appears before each batter.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:33 PM   #55
Rookie

OVR: 3

directional/timed hitting: I stopped using directional hitting and went to HOF hitting. I kept timed hitting because it is stats based and easier for me then zone hitting and moving the PCI. Zone hitting is excellent and you can hit much better if you get the PCI stick movement accomplish. Also if you use timing move timing slider up 1 click until you get the hang of it. HOF is harder this year but good hitting can be done.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2016, 09:06 AM   #56
Pro

AugustWest71's Arena

OVR: 5

Time to waive the white flag? YES
Time to wave the white flag? NO

I would highly suggest switching to zone hitting, it's much more realistic/rewarding.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »