Home

Small sample test: Reasons CPU doesn't bring in closer in save situations.

This is a discussion on Small sample test: Reasons CPU doesn't bring in closer in save situations. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2016, 09:55 AM   #9
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56
Re: Small sample test: Reasons CPU doesn't bring in closer in save situations.

Very interesting...

Can you get me a compiled list that I can copy/paste to get to a dev?

I know it's in the thread here...but if oldtimey who is doing the testing and finding out the info would put it together....with some brief explanation.....I can get it to Luis.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 04-14-2016, 09:56 AM   #10
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

Also....what happens if you leave that LR spot empty?
or if you don't assign a closer?

M.K.
Knight165
Old 04-14-2016, 10:12 AM   #11
MVP

Azamien's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanOfCornCobb
Do you think turning off the option to warm up pitchers can change this? Does this this only affect HUM contrlled players?
It seems to only affect the human's players. I turn off warm ups (I still warm up my pitchers realistically, I just don't want to have to throw the eight pitches when they enter a game) and the CPU still has the bullpen management issues.

I think the OP has it exactly right. The CPU isn't able to adjust situationally when it comes to their bullpen. The only time I see the issue is when there is a sudden game situation change, such as the CPU coming from behind in the bottom of the 8th or top of the 9th (depending on who the home team is). They already have pitchers warming up for the original situation, and don't seem to be able to change it, so you end up getting the three reliever dance in the next half inning.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2016, 11:33 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Also....what happens if you leave that LR spot empty?
or if you don't assign a closer?

M.K.
Knight165
Hello, Knight165. I have admired your work with this game the short time I have been an MLB The Show player. Just tell me how and what needs to be submitted and I will do my best to comply. My PS3 is not usually online, but can tether it if that is needed. I would love to help out.

Answering your question: When the LRP is left empty, the AI will use your MRP when your starter is knocked out early or has to leave a start early because of an injury. If you this spot is occupied by a pitcher who is "stretched out" with the same stamina as your 4th and 5th starters (in my scale, stamina ratings of at least 60-69), he will have the best chance of being effective, as the AI will treat him as he would treat the departed starter. This includes letting him bat for himself in non-DH games. If he is effective, the cpu (AI) will let him pitch into the 6th inning in DH games if he came in with 100% rest. In non-DH, games the cpu will let him bat in bunting situations and low leverage at-bats (no one on, 2 out, for example). If he wasn't in the LRP slot, the cpu would replace the early exiting starter with a MRP and he will pinch-hit everytime the pitcher's spot in the order comes up or attempt to double-switch. If this goes on from, say the third inning on, you will go thru your bullpen, with some asked to pitch multiple innings. This is with starter stamina sliders=4, reliever stamina=0 and manager hook=5. Putting together a few of these occurrences will fatten up the IP of your MRP. In my test using the common practice of a LH and a RH in the setup slots and LRP left empty, some MRP would compile 100+ innings in season sims, which is very 1970s-80s. Everybody would have more innings than appearances with the same slider settings explained above.

Using this method for setting up the bullpen, my contending teams very much look forward to September when the rosters expand. Then, you can max out all 3 LRP slots, plus utilize both SU slots. This cpu will use only the most rested pitchers first in the long relief slots when needed for early KOs and those long extra-inning affairs. But the entire pen gets a boost as you proceed on your stretch drive and prepare for the postseason. Now, with this bullpen setup, combined with the slider setting, you will see MRP pitch multiple innings in some situations. But you will also see the cpu parade reliever after reliever during close game situations in the 7th, 8th and 9th innings. So your MRP will have appearances where the might pitch 1.1, 1.2 or 2.0 innings. But the will also have appearances where they will be yanked without retiring a batter or with 0.1 or 0,2 innings pitched. During the course of the season, it balances out to pretty much to realistic innings pitched numbers of today's baseball. I have also tried slicing the reliever stamina rating on certain LH pitchers to try an replicate the popular LOOGY reliever. My usual minimum for a MRP/SU/CL is 28, max 35. I slashed some to 15 to get the cpu to allow them to face one batter. But that experiment didn't work because the cpu would not bring the LOOGY into the right matchup, LHP v LHB, all the time. But he would only face the one batter. Also, with the stamina rating so low, the cpu would not pitch him on consecutive days.

I hope this helps and gets into the proper hands to make a difference.

Last edited by oldtimey; 04-14-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:01 PM   #13
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

That's good info.
Thanks.

I think what I would need to send to Luis is...

-a problem situation(the closer not coming in....the LRP getting the S situation...etc) and what you
--What you see is precipitating that problem and/or exacerbating that problem.

If you just put it all in a post here or PM me....I'll just copy and paste it and send off the info.

Thanks!

M.K.
Knight165
Old 04-14-2016, 06:46 PM   #14
MVP

BrianU's Arena

OVR: 2

I'm glad the bullpen management AI is getting so much attention from people n here. It's one of the biggest legacy issues that go overlooked because it won't sell many copies but it's a big deal to me too.

I think it's a bit tough to make the AI manage their roster in the game as in real life most sports games do not get this right. One thing I recommend you can do is this:

Switch controllers to the CPU team and manage their bullpen for them. as if you were the manager.

I want to beat the team at their full strength. So I will make sure all their relievers are warming up, they use platoon advantage properly, closers come in, etc. To me the CPU will NEVER get all of this right correctly nor should we expect that, we will always have issue with their questionable decisions. The best option is to give the user complete control and make it as easy as possible to do this. Lucky for us you can do it pretty easily just switched controllers in the pause screen and doing what you gotta do to make them play at full strength. It is a bit of a hassle and I would like the CPU to manage their team more effective but for the realest most challenging experience I think it is a necessary.

I believe they removed the issue where relievers in the bullpen could warm up 'too much' and be affected negatively, so always make sure the CPU has a lefty and a righty up and throwing and when the proper situation arises put them in the game and put another same-handed reliever in the bullpen to replace them. This ensures you are prepared for any game situation. It takes some real life baseball knowledge, you have to think what would a manager do in real life, when would he remove his starter, would he use a reliever for one batter or leave him in for the next inning too? Let his closer get 4-5 out save in this situation?

The only thing I wish is that we could disable CPU substitutions entirely so they don't override my decisions for them.

Last edited by BrianU; 04-14-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:47 PM   #15
Rookie

I play cpu-v-cpu. I try to intervene with the game as little as possible. I did manage both teams for the five years I played MVP Baseball 2005. The only time that I grab the joystick after the game has started is to correct a silly substitution by the cpu. Just saw the Marlins play the Mets. In the 8th inning, cpu pinch-runs for d'Arnaud with De Aza, then leaves him in to catch. Then, I grab the stick, pause, control the Mets and insert Plawecki behind the plate.
But as far as the pitching aspect goes, the adjustments I explain in this thread, http://www.operationsports.com/forum...na-rating.html, I get a very satisfying MLB experience with the current game engine. Not perfect, but much better, and I don't have to manage the pitching staffs. I sit back, keep a scorebook and broadcast the action in my own little baseball world. But that's just me. Everybody plays different.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2016, 08:41 PM   #16
Rookie

Going to add in to the convo about what I've seen with closer's in late game situations that needs to be changed which is 4 out, 5 out saves. Just last night Rockies/Padres game (I was the Padres) had Motte in the game in the 8th load the bases and reach almost 30 pitches with McGee warming up in the bullpen but CPU Weiss didn't pull the struggling Motte. Wound up driving a pitch into the gap for 2 runs. Not a major thing but I would hope that the CPU managerial strategy could be overhauled to at least consider bringing in the closer if he's not tired and the team needs to protect a 1 or 2 run lead

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »