Home

My only gripe. Too many plays made by the catcher. What's yours?

This is a discussion on My only gripe. Too many plays made by the catcher. What's yours? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-25-2016, 03:09 PM   #73
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: My only gripe. Too many plays made by the catcher. What's yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger
Just FYI, I think the foul frequency slider actually affects the number of fouls that go out of play vs. stay in play, more so than it affects the total number of fouls (though it does affect that too to a degree).

This makes sense too - frequency of fouls in play. I usually keep it on 0 and always see a lot of fouls so I was wondering why. What you mention here might be the missing piece.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:57 PM   #74
Banned

OVR: 20

Ok so I gave it a fair shake hoping they improved it from last year, but I'm just gonna say it: crowd distribution sucks.

Seriously, this is not hard - just prioritize it in this manner:

1. First two rows, foul pole to foul pole.
2. Dugout to dugout, lower deck.
3. First three rows, dugout to dugout, upper deck.
4. Dugout to dugout, front half of seating, upper deck.

Literally everything else is marginal seating and can be spotty/empty/full depending on game/team circumstance. This game, on the other hand, for like the third year in a row (or however long it's been since they stopped letting us control ticket prices) treats the entire lower deck exactly the same, so you get equal distribution behind home plate, in the outfield, up in the corner from the foul pole, whatever, all the while with a totally empty upper deck. It looks ridiculous. For a game that prides itself on details this is a pretty big oversight if you ask me, and coming on the heels of them claiming to have reworked crowd distribution last year no less.

Thumbs down.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:51 AM   #75
Pro

ryanmc564's Arena

OVR: 0

okay my biggest gripe right now is the blank signs the fans hold up at busch stadium. it looks like they are holding up a piece of drywall...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2016, 11:24 AM   #76
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmc564
okay my biggest gripe right now is the blank signs the fans hold up at busch stadium. it looks like they are holding up a piece of drywall...
This literally makes me laugh every time I see it.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 04-27-2016, 05:46 PM   #77
Rookie

Not sure if it's been mentioned, got 2-3 pages in of reading before posting this, but

anything about 89+ mph up in the zone is almost always a pop up. Especially if it's up and in. I've hit one homerun when a fastball was up in the zone with Joc Pederson and it's because it wasn't all the way at the top of the zone. Even when I'm (miracle) able to get good timing on anything up or inside in the zone 89+ mph it results in a broken bat or a pop-up. Guys who only throw 91 and leave a fastball up should be getting punished by power hitters. If it's 96-100 that's a different story, all hail the pop up and broken bat in that situation if it isn't perfect timing.

And, the difference of results you get from timing when using the timing/directional (whatever it's called now) hitting. 90 up in the zone and 90 down in the zone, you still have to swing at the same time to be in a good position to drive it. In this game though? Swing at a pitch up in the zone at 90 and get the "Little Late" timing, swing at the same time but the pitch just above the knees? Get the "Early" timing.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:28 PM   #78
Rookie

IWND46's Arena

I really dislike how the game's Cy Young voting works. It always just gives it to the guy with the most wins, when in reality it hasnt been like that for years. For example Ubaldo Jimenez just won with a 3.61 ERA and 19 wins, while Chris Sale had a 2.13 ERA and 278 strikeouts and 11 wins. It really irks me.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:34 AM   #79
Rookie

kaptainkarl76's Arena

OVR: 1

Good Timing = Foul balls, swing and misses, foul tips, weak grounders..
Old 04-28-2016, 05:05 AM   #80
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRiMETiME559_ps4
And, the difference of results you get from timing when using the timing/directional (whatever it's called now) hitting. 90 up in the zone and 90 down in the zone, you still have to swing at the same time to be in a good position to drive it. In this game though? Swing at a pitch up in the zone at 90 and get the "Little Late" timing, swing at the same time but the pitch just above the knees? Get the "Early" timing.
I think what the game might be trying to simulate is the time it takes the swing to get there. The pitch at 90 will get to the plate at X time no matter, but the swing time might be slower when up than down.

That's my guess as to what might be happening.

For the 91 up not being punished - pitches high in the zone have lower BABIPs in real life (i.e. more times they become outs than in other locations) and the highest pop up rate.

It might be overdone in the game since popups are probably/possibly too frequent in general, but I think the game might be on the right track.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/batte...tion-location/

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »