Home

Strike zone tips

This is a discussion on Strike zone tips within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2016, 07:46 PM   #9
Pro

zpq12's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Strike zone tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanks1408
Unfortunately, the check swing is overly sensitive this year, deeming it nearly broken. This for me has been the main cause of chasing pitches. I would advise not "swinging" at all unless you follow through completely.
Well this is a whole other issue. I have yet to check swing. I typically hold the button I guess? How the hell do people check their swing?!

On another note, I've put some of this info to use in addition to turning down CPU strike velocity a couple notches for the time being.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:48 PM   #10
Pro

zpq12's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I'm going to give you the same advice I gave the last guy who had a discipline problem: Every first pitch, put the controller down. Just look at it.

By concentrating on just observing pitches, you'll find you'll learn how to identify balls and strikes. There are other times when you should just watch the pitch. Were you bad and swung at a bad pitch? Put the controller down for the next pitch. Even if it means taking a strikeout.

This is what I did to build my discipline, and it was really tough to do, but man did it work. I can now get walks.

I would also recommend turning down the CPU strike frequency slider. The CPU pitches in the zone FAR too often, especially on lower difficulties. I'm playing on veteran and my CPU strike frequency is set to 2. This will also help you identify balls because you will see more of them.
Your final bit of advice has been incredibly productive for me. I need to see a larger percentage of balls. It has done wonders for me.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:58 PM   #11
MVP

Madden's Jowels's Arena

OVR: 0

TheWarmWind gave some very solid advice.

To take it even further, you could start out every at bat by taking all the way until a strike crosses the plate. You will find yourself getting into some 2-1 and 3-1 counts to start with this way.

One strategy I've used as well: Use Guess Pitch and guess 4-seam fastball in my favorite zone (your favorite zone may vary) and take the first pitch if it's not there. If it's a ball, I will do the same thing for the 2nd pitch. If it's a strike but not in my zone, then I will officially "begin" my at-bat at that point.

Of course, Guess Pitch can be seen as a crutch, and that's a valid criticism, but it's helpful to start building your discipline IMO. It can keep you afloat when you're struggling and help you see pitches when you know they're coming and really look at how they move. The other way I can use it when I'm not feeling like I'm seeing the ball very well is use it to protect "problem pitches" on 2 strikes. For me, this usually means low off-speed stuff or, if it's lefty on lefty or righty on righty, the slider or curveball away. Guess those ones that you have problems with. If you guessed wrong, that means you can ease up and not worry about chasing something in that zone, and start thinking about what else the pitch could be. 0-2 and you guessed low curveball, and it's not a curveball? Might be a changeup. Look for the offspeed and react to the fastball, you can hopefully foul fastballs off and hopefully will draw a few balls to get the count back to even and then you can look for something to actually hit. When you're ahead in the count, look for the fastball and react to the offspeed. Sometimes you'll be sitting dead red on a fastball on a 3-1 count and instead the CPU will throw the high, hanging changeup or curve that you can just crush.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2016, 10:42 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpq12
Well this is a whole other issue. I have yet to check swing. I typically hold the button I guess? How the hell do people check their swing?!

On another note, I've put some of this info to use in addition to turning down CPU strike velocity a couple notches for the time being.
If you pressure x ever so softly, it will result in a check swing. More often than not, a 3/4 swing and not a 1/4 held swing. The fact that you have not exerted the light pressure to notice this feature illustrates the fact that it is essentially broken.

I have no idea why the team messed with the check swing pressure sensitivity as it was fine in previous years. It is a shame as I enjoyed using it as an option in the past.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:39 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 20

Quote:
essentially broken
I check my swings consonantly. Like literally 15 and 20 times a game. Choose a new word.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:14 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
I check my swings consonantly. Like literally 15 and 20 times a game. Choose a new word.
Same. I've got zero problems with check swings.
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a ttoal jmulbe and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

amzanig huh?
Old 05-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
Overly sensitive.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2016, 05:07 PM   #16
I smell sulfur...

Kodii Rockets's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Overly sensitive.
Oooh. Well played indeed.

I check constantly, but I use analog hitting, so I guess I can't see what you guys are seeing. It feel a lot more organic than pressing a button to me.

Follow this link to view 10 Yard Fight on Operation Sports >>10YF on OS

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »