Home

Strike zone tips

This is a discussion on Strike zone tips within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-11-2016, 06:02 PM   #41
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Strike zone tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Turning off the PCI in zone hitting just means the visual representation of it is not displayed. The functionality of the mechanic is the same.
Russell, thank you for the clarification.

@JakeReeves, see as I suspected all along, Russell, part of the development team, has confirmed that zone hitting with the PCI turned off, you still have to use your left stick to get solid hits when pitches are outside the middle of the plate and anywhere high, low, or wide of the strike zone.

If you're using zone hitting with the PCI turned off, and never touching the left stick, you must be simply swinging at pitches within reach of the hidden PCI centered in the middle pf the plate.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2016, 06:04 PM   #42
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeReaves
Yes, homeruns, especially high pitches. I saw Russell's post as well. I don't doubt the functionality intent, but I can say with 100% certainty that I'm on zone hitting with PCI turned off and I can get amazing contact all over the zone with only the X button. High, low, inside, outside, etc.

Not sure what else to say.
OK, I don't know then. well, as long as it's working you, then that's all that matters.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Old 05-11-2016, 07:46 PM   #43
Pro

Stolm's Arena

OVR: 0

Well, if you are playing on Beginner/Rookie it makes sense, because the PCI will be as big as the strike-zone.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:11 AM   #44
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolm
Well, if you are playing on Beginner/Rookie it makes sense, because the PCI will be as big as the strike-zone.

Yeah if you play on HOF or legend that is not going to work not moving the PCI. Even on all star you need to move the PCI. One thing that really drives me nuts is that I cant hit high fastballs like at all. If I get a fastball that is high and I don't mean like really high but a high fastball that most guys would crush in real life even if it is a guy that only throws like 85 MPH I like 95% of the time miss it or pop it up. I don't know why but I have a hard time catching up and even when I do time it I tend to swing to low. I don't know why but I have a hard time moving the CPU up. I always want to move it down.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:34 PM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 2

To me, the key to better discipline is picking up the pitch quickly. The goal is the find the ball and focus on it as soon as it leaves the pitchers hand. That gives you a reference point so that you can track where the pitch is going and how it's breaking. If you're not picking up the ball until it's halfway to the plate, you're going to have a hard time figuring out where it's going and how it's breaking. The ball will also feel like it's on you too quickly to react.

One of the things that caused me problems initially was the windups. I had a hard time trying to focus on the ball during the windup. What I'm now doing is focusing on the pitcher's belt during the windup. The belt mostly stays in one place so your eyes aren't darting all over the place. Then when I know the pitcher is about to release, I move my eyes to the release point and pick up the ball.

Another thing I might do if I'm struggling in franchise or RTTS is to check out what pitcher I'm up against the next day. I then go to practice mode and get some swings in against that same pitcher for a little bit to get used to his delivery and types of pitches he has.

Like Smallville, my biggest problem is usually high fastballs. It's easier to pull the left stick down than it is to push it up. I also get into a bad habit of pulling it down to try and hit homeruns. What I do to combat that is to move the PCI to the upper part of the zone "before" the pitch. If it's a high fastball, I don't have to move it much. If it's low, I'm still pretty quick at pulling the stick down.

Last edited by Mekias; 05-13-2016 at 09:49 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2016, 08:48 PM   #46
Pro

KayOtic723's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeReaves
I don't see this result at all. I'm on zone hitting with the PCI turned off and I can make great contact on balls up and away as well as low and in as long as I see the ball and time it correctly. I don't touch the left analog, only use the X button to swing.

Most likely playing on all-star or lower hitting difficulty the pci is big enough to hit almost anything with moving the pci
Old 05-13-2016, 12:17 AM   #47
Pro

zpq12's Arena

OVR: 9

Yeah, at this point I think this game is beyond me. I switched to timing hitting, I still have no prayer. I've tried to only hit fastballs down the middle of the plate, but I still find myself swinging at garbage. Opposing pitchers pitch about 8 pitches an inning. Anything I get a cut on and make contact with I'm way too late because I can't decide if it's going to be in the zone. I'm basically at a loss. I appreciate all the help, but honestly I'm not really enjoying this at all. I used to LOVE this game on PS3. Apparently I just can't handle it. I've played a ton of games at this point, I average about a hit point 5 per game. I've never walked.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:27 AM   #48
Rookie

RockPowderDownLoL's Arena

you are having trouble recognizing the pitch. learn to recognize pitches immediately out of the pitchers hand. first you need to find the pitchers release point. do not stare at the release point too long before the pitch comes in or your eyes will become tense and this will make the pitch appear faster. the pitchers release point may change when you have runners on base. learn to recognize a fastball. the ball generally comes straight out of the pitchers hand and generally you can see the palm of his hand where as a slider the ball has a red dot as well as the pitchers wrist is skinny because of how he is releasing it. this may be too difficult but on lower difficuties the pitchers arm speed is a lot slower. its okay to swing at the first pitch once in a while and sometimes you gotta jump on that first pitch so you don't allow the pitcher to comfortable as his first pitch is the most important one because it sets the tone for the rest of the at-bat. just make sure you get what you want.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »