Home

Strike zone tips

This is a discussion on Strike zone tips within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2016, 02:31 AM   #49
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Strike zone tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpq12
Yeah, at this point I think this game is beyond me. I switched to timing hitting, I still have no prayer. I've tried to only hit fastballs down the middle of the plate, but I still find myself swinging at garbage. Opposing pitchers pitch about 8 pitches an inning. Anything I get a cut on and make contact with I'm way too late because I can't decide if it's going to be in the zone. I'm basically at a loss. I appreciate all the help, but honestly I'm not really enjoying this at all. I used to LOVE this game on PS3. Apparently I just can't handle it. I've played a ton of games at this point, I average about a hit point 5 per game. I've never walked.
Drop pitch speed down to zero completely. That should help tremendously, hopefully.

EDIT: No one gives up under my watch. Here's your next assignment. Only focus on hitting. Skip all pitching. Either use the "Fast Forward" to next half inning, or switch teams after you recorded three hitting outs so you're simply batting. Meaning you have 54 total outs to work as a hitter. Work on hitting only. Don't ever think about pitching right now.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 05-13-2016 at 02:46 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:00 AM   #50
All Star

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekias
To me, the key to better discipline is picking up the pitch quickly. The goal is the find the ball and focus on it as soon as it leaves the pitchers hand. That gives you a reference point so that you can track where the pitch is going and how it's breaking. If you're not picking up the ball until it's halfway to the plate, you're going to have a hard time figuring out where it's going and how it's breaking.

One of the things that caused me problems initially was the windups. I had a hard time trying to focus on the ball during the windup. What I'm now doing is focusing on the pitcher's belt during the windup. The belt mostly stays in one place so your eyes aren't darting all over the place. Then when I know the pitcher is about to release, I move my eyes to the release point and pick up the ball.

Another thing I might do if I'm struggling in franchise or RTTS is to check out what pitcher I'm up against the next day. I then go to practice mode and get some swings in against that same pitcher for a little bit to get used to his delivery and types of pitches he has.

Like Smallville, my biggest problem is usually high fastballs. It's easier to pull the left stick down than it is to push it up. I also get into a bad habit of pulling it down to try and hit homeruns. What I to do to combat that is to move the PCI to the upper part of the zone "before" the pitch. If it's a high fastball, I don't have to move it much. If it's low, I'm still pretty quick at pulling the stick down.

I have thought about starting my PCI up a little high to start but the problem is that I already hit into way to many double plays to begin with and if I started the PCI up high I would be more likely to hit into even more double plays and even more so if I am facing a pitcher with a sinker. When I face a pitcher like that I try to start the PCI a little low. In the past I found I would chase changeups way to much because they look 100% like a fastball to me. But with having the slider for both fastball and changeup speed this year and with the way they changed the way the ball moves last year I don't have that issue any more but like ever year I still cant hit the high fastball like at all.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:29 AM   #51
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Two points I'd say:

The user who stated to let the first pitch go...I don't exactly agree with that perspective as there are plenty good 1st pitches that can/should be mashed but his mindset is correct. I would advise to go to practice mode and pick a pitcher with explosive stuff and simply watch the ball. Learn what is a strike, what's not a strike, the spin of the ball of different pitches, flight of the ball, what plane or area do pitches START to become a ball.

Secondly, when hitting, learn to look for a certain pitch (not talking guess pitch here). Hitters always try to predict the pitcher's thought process so try to do the same. If you were pitching, what pitch would you throw in this situation? With hitting, it's necessary to think like a pitcher and what you'd throw not only in THIS count but potentially the next pitch also.
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2016, 10:46 AM   #52
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville102001
I have thought about starting my PCI up a little high to start but the problem is that I already hit into way to many double plays to begin with and if I started the PCI up high I would be more likely to hit into even more double plays and even more so if I am facing a pitcher with a sinker. When I face a pitcher like that I try to start the PCI a little low. In the past I found I would chase changeups way to much because they look 100% like a fastball to me. But with having the slider for both fastball and changeup speed this year and with the way they changed the way the ball moves last year I don't have that issue any more but like ever year I still cant hit the high fastball like at all.

Yeah, for pitchers who's main pitch is the sinker, I usually set up in the middle of the plate until two strikes (and only look for pitches in the upper half). Then at two strikes, I set up at the bottom of the zone.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:26 PM   #53
Pro

zpq12's Arena

OVR: 9

One thing that confuses me is this talk about disappearing PCIs. My understanding is that the PCI is the oval that indicates the are in which you can reliably make contact, its also the indicator that you can move during directional hitting. To me, the strike zone box is something entirely different.

I only ever see the PCI when I see the post pitch report info/box in the bottom corner of my screen.

During active hitting, I see no PCI, and the strike zone disappears as the picther enters his windup. Can I make either of these stay on my screen through the pitch?

Also, how often do people use the contact and power swings? How much does the contact swing punish you as far as sold his when you manage to make contact?
Old 05-13-2016, 01:23 PM   #54
Banned

OVR: 0

I'm not sure what that is. However, you provided some good stuff, thank you. I hope someday I'll have an at bat more than 4 pitches, and maybe even pull a fastball.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:46 PM   #55
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpq12
One thing that confuses me is this talk about disappearing PCIs. My understanding is that the PCI is the oval that indicates the are in which you can reliably make contact, its also the indicator that you can move during directional hitting. To me, the strike zone box is something entirely different.

I only ever see the PCI when I see the post pitch report info/box in the bottom corner of my screen.

During active hitting, I see no PCI, and the strike zone disappears as the picther enters his windup. Can I make either of these stay on my screen through the pitch?

Also, how often do people use the contact and power swings? How much does the contact swing punish you as far as sold his when you manage to make contact?

I'm not at home right now but I believe the PCI and strike zone settings are under User Settings. The first page is batting and that should have the options for how to display the PCI and strike zone.

I only use power swings rarely if I'm ahead in the count and feel confident against the pitcher. I use contact swing about 75% of the time with 2 strikes. It's easier to check my swing and foul off pitches. I think contact effectively lowers your power stat by about 25-30 points. My RTTS guy has about 68 power, made solid contact and hit it about 300 feet. A guy with a lot of power can probably hit homeruns down the lines with a contact swing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2016, 06:10 PM   #56
Pro

zpq12's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekias
I'm not at home right now but I believe the PCI and strike zone settings are under User Settings. The first page is batting and that should have the options for how to display the PCI and strike zone.

I only use power swings rarely if I'm ahead in the count and feel confident against the pitcher. I use contact swing about 75% of the time with 2 strikes. It's easier to check my swing and foul off pitches. I think contact effectively lowers your power stat by about 25-30 points. My RTTS guy has about 68 power, made solid contact and hit it about 300 feet. A guy with a lot of power can probably hit homeruns down the lines with a contact swing.
There are no strike zone settings. I have PCI set to on and the appearance is locked to reticle for directional hitting.

Thanks for the contact swing info.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »