Home

Strike zone tips

This is a discussion on Strike zone tips within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-28-2016, 01:33 AM   #65
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Strike zone tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpq12
I've been trying to play with the Red Sox. I have some maybe sorta handle on not swinging at pitches in the dirt or 3 feet out of the zone, at least half of the time.

Your hall of fame suggestion cost me a controller.

At this point when I do hit something in the zone, it seems and unrest able amount of those with good contact are weak groundouts or fly outs. I realize that baseball is a game of failure, but I'm hitting about .100 BABIP. I'm going to lose my goddamn mind. **** this game. I keep coming back because I know it's a good game, but it is stupidly impossible. The fact that I can't hit even on the difficulty meant for people with nerve disorders makes me want to scream.
I'm sorry. But you're suppose to take it easy going through hall of fame or legend setting. My intention was for you to see the pitches at a very fast pace, and once you get acclimated to the higher speeds, once you drop back down to beginner rookie mode, the pitches should look incredibly slow. It doesn't matter if you strike out 27 times on hall of fame, or legend. You're simply suppose to get your eyes acclimated to the pitch speed and not stress about not being able to hit a single pitch.

Are you also switching sides to hit for the other team? Doing so will give you more practice.

I am currently playing the Japanese Baseball game: Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2015 and have for the past 2 weeks. I have not won a single game on beginner/medium setting. All my hits are infield grounds. I celebrate if I hit a pop fly to the outfield. I celebrate if I get a base hit, and I normally probably get at most 3 successful base hits a game if even that. My batting average in this game is probably 0.100 or worst. And I keep playing this game Pro Yakyuu Spirits because it's the best baseball game ever created.

Hear me out. Do you lift weights? Deadlift, Bench Press, or Squats, or Pullups, power clean, hang cleans? Everyone is familiar with the Bench Press. If someone hit 225lbx5, then drops the weight down to 135lb, the weight will be so light that she/he can push 135lbx30 times.

Say someone does 90% to max weight for their Deadlift lift (say 315x1 or 405lbx1), then when he or she decides to finish off his/her set with 135lbx30 rep, the 135 will feel light as a feather. That is my intention. You're suppose to use the "higher hall of fame or legend" setting to get your EYES acclimated to the pitch speed.

EDIT: Don't know if this makes a difference, but two weeks into MLB 16, for whatever reason, I completely stopped being able to hit left handed pitchers with left handed hitters, and right handed pitchers with right handed pitchers. I would completely struggle; I would swing at every single little thing, and not make contact. I tried doing everything. I tried not looking at whether the batter or hitter was lefty or righty. I even thought about covering the left and right side of my HDTV screen with blankets only leaving enough space in the middle of the screen to see the pitcher and the strike zone. so I didn't know whether I'd be using a left hand or right handed hitter. I actually didn't try that method but was very close. Watched youtube videos, don't remember what happened, but something clicked and I managed to get back into respectable range.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 05-28-2016 at 02:23 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2016, 04:07 AM   #66
Pro

zpq12's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
I'm sorry. But you're suppose to take it easy going through hall of fame or legend setting. My intention was for you to see the pitches at a very fast pace, and once you get acclimated to the higher speeds, once you drop back down to beginner rookie mode, the pitches should look incredibly slow. It doesn't matter if you strike out 27 times on hall of fame, or legend. You're simply suppose to get your eyes acclimated to the pitch speed and not stress about not being able to hit a single pitch.

Are you also switching sides to hit for the other team? Doing so will give you more practice.

I am currently playing the Japanese Baseball game: Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2015 and have for the past 2 weeks. I have not won a single game on beginner/medium setting. All my hits are infield grounds. I celebrate if I hit a pop fly to the outfield. I celebrate if I get a base hit, and I normally probably get at most 3 successful base hits a game if even that. My batting average in this game is probably 0.100 or worst. And I keep playing this game Pro Yakyuu Spirits because it's the best baseball game ever created.

Hear me out. Do you lift weights? Deadlift, Bench Press, or Squats, or Pullups, power clean, hang cleans? Everyone is familiar with the Bench Press. If someone hit 225lbx5, then drops the weight down to 135lb, the weight will be so light that she/he can push 135lbx30 times.

Say someone does 90% to max weight for their Deadlift lift (say 315x1 or 405lbx1), then when he or she decides to finish off his/her set with 135lbx30 rep, the 135 will feel light as a feather. That is my intention. You're suppose to use the "higher hall of fame or legend" setting to get your EYES acclimated to the pitch speed.

EDIT: Don't know if this makes a difference, but two weeks into MLB 16, for whatever reason, I completely stopped being able to hit left handed pitchers with left handed hitters, and right handed pitchers with right handed pitchers. I would completely struggle; I would swing at every single little thing, and not make contact. I tried doing everything. I tried not looking at whether the batter or hitter was lefty or righty. I even thought about covering the left and right side of my HDTV screen with blankets only leaving enough space in the middle of the screen to see the pitcher and the strike zone. so I didn't know whether I'd be using a left hand or right handed hitter. I actually didn't try that method but was very close. Watched youtube videos, don't remember what happened, but something clicked and I managed to get back into respectable range.
It isn't your fault that I broke it. A PS4 controller takes a ton of abuse before breaking, btw.

I appreciate the help, and I do get the weight lifting apology, I do lift.

You're crazy for continuing to play the Japanese game, with makes me think I'm crazy for continuing to play this. I enjoy one out of every 5 games at this point. It's so ****ing frustrating. I even quit playing for a stretch just to cool off and reset. I've watched every video in this thread. Re-read every post. I cannot get it. I cannot consistently pick up the pitch or ball off the pitcher. I have a pretty decent 50 inch tv, I even looked up my specs and it seems fine. Incidentally I had my eyes checked this week.

Sometimes I look at the strike zone during the pitch. Sometimes I looked at the ball as it comes from the pitcher. I'm much better with the wide angle - trying to watch the pitch from the pitchers hand I swing at literally EVERYTHING. I really don't know what to do.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:11 AM   #67
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpq12
It isn't your fault that I broke it. A PS4 controller takes a ton of abuse before breaking, btw.

I appreciate the help, and I do get the weight lifting apology, I do lift.

You're crazy for continuing to play the Japanese game, with makes me think I'm crazy for continuing to play this. I enjoy one out of every 5 games at this point. It's so ****ing frustrating. I even quit playing for a stretch just to cool off and reset. I've watched every video in this thread. Re-read every post. I cannot get it. I cannot consistently pick up the pitch or ball off the pitcher. I have a pretty decent 50 inch tv, I even looked up my specs and it seems fine. Incidentally I had my eyes checked this week.

Sometimes I look at the strike zone during the pitch. Sometimes I looked at the ball as it comes from the pitcher. I'm much better with the wide angle - trying to watch the pitch from the pitchers hand I swing at literally EVERYTHING. I really don't know what to do.

Pro Yakyuu Spirits
Why I play the game, and will forever own a PS3.

Spoiler

MLB the Show 16

Change the batting camera to "fish eye." Drop pitch speed to zero. Change your approach to how you play the game (look to draw balls and walks instead of hits). My other suggestions are below: First, make sure to relax, relax, relax; video games should be a form of entertainment, and stress relief... keep this in mind always).

Look at the size of the ball.

Spoiler

Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 05-29-2016 at 02:27 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:21 AM   #68
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8

It's funny, I was in the exact same boat last year. Couldn't hit to save my life. But there are certain things you have to keep in mind. I'm sure some have been mentioned, but they bear repeating.

1) Getting angry will never help. It's trite, I know, but I'm not exactly a patient person with a long fuse (translation, I'm a quick to anger guy). But I've been letting things go and the game is way more fun. When you're tense, you can't recognize pitches. It's a vicious cycle.

2) Don't set your pitch speed low. That will not help. Set it to what you would like to be able to hit at. I have so much more trouble hitting on the slower speed, I stopped playing DD Conquest in Veteran mode because it was fooling me so badly. For reference, I use 6, and I'm thinking about going to 7.

3) Don't overdo yourself on difficulty. There's no way I could've hit on Legend, probably not Hall of Fame, but All Star gives me about 7 or 8 hits per game on average, and I'm actually considering graduating to HOF now.

4) Accept that you will get fooled more often than not. I used to get anxious when I wasn't able to hit every pitch. There will always be mistakes, and you'll get your share of them. But if you're scared of missing a pitch (like I was) you'll never be able to hit a fastball.

5) Use situational hitting. The game uses situational pitching, so you should be using the opposite. If you're up in the count, 3-1, and you see a ball headed for the middle, swing at it like a fastball. If it's a change up, oh well, you still have another shot.

6) Look at the repertoire, but only so much. Get a general idea what the guy is likely to throw, and look at any pitches that have a lot of confidence, and weigh that against your situation. But really only do that every so often. I find that when I get wrapped up in overthinking like that, I usually am jumpy. Just see ball, hit ball.

7) Practice. Again, trite, but this year, the first thing I did while waiting on the Hybrid OSFM Roster was to take batting practice. Over and over again. find someone you like to hit with, and just restart over and over again until you can turn in good at bats.

8) Remember, you will go on slumps just like a player will. There will be games, pitchers, times, whatever the factor, that you will be just awful at hitting.

- Rick Wise

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »