Home

Do You Guys Play Spring Training In Franchise Mode?

This is a discussion on Do You Guys Play Spring Training In Franchise Mode? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-08-2016, 09:05 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Do You Guys Play Spring Training In Franchise Mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I don't know if there's hidden traits...but I've seen unexplained implosions in my carryover especially.

The most striking was Paco Rodriguez. This was under MLB15, but he had 3 very strong seasons enough to get young Paco to 150 saves. Then suddenly, he collapsed. He couldn't get an ERA under 6, stunk in AAA, and his ratings never dropped. I traded him and, last I checked (haven't in a while), he's still stinking...with his awesome on-paper ratings.

Chris Taylor - not quite as striking, but he went from a .280 hitter to a .220 one and had nothing on the ball up until September. It was funny because he hit like 5 HR in April and I was like "why is he hitting so many HR"...then he does almost literally nothing from May to August.

This year, I had...something...with Kolten Wong in my fantasy franchise. He was not playing up to his ratings and when I put Addison Russel at 2B, who had basically the same ratings, he played far better, making plays and effort plays that Wong never would even attempt much...and succeed at even less.

Now, Russell is my 2B solely on...whatever that was. Russell is still doing it at 2B as well.

I don't know what this is/was. I don't know if its my settings, sliders, fairies, youkai...but it happened.
I have long thought guys have hidden career arcs. Maybe when the Franchise is started and with each draft. Like, have you noticed how some guys add tons of points to multiple traits really fast and reach 80's or even 90's within a couple years? And other guys languish in the minors without much growth in traits? I've also seen guys massively underperform their traits over entire seasons and seen guys lose skills even in their 20's too.

Anyway, I don't know how the game does this all in the background or if its all just random numbers ... but it does feel more organic than, say, Madden, where all this user controlled XP upping let's you just power up everyone how you want.

I don't know for sure, but yeah, I do suspect players have hidden arcs or at a minimum there's some kind of randomness applied to guys up/down progress each year which makes it seem that way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2016, 09:24 AM   #26
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

The other benefit I get from playing ST games is that I get to play in all the minor league ballparks.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 07-08-2016, 01:09 PM   #27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
The other benefit I get from playing ST games is that I get to play in all the minor league ballparks.
how can you do that? It only gives me two choices in ST? I must be missing something - do educate me please, as those 2 ballparks are soooo boring...
Old 07-08-2016, 01:34 PM   #28
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgexpat
how can you do that? It only gives me two choices in ST? I must be missing something - do educate me please, as those 2 ballparks are soooo boring...
When it brings up the ballpark selection menu, press either L1/R1 to scroll to the other ballparks. You can choose from spring training, minor league, major league, or historic.

Old 07-08-2016, 02:00 PM   #29
Rookie

Quote:
When it brings up the ballpark selection menu, press either L1/R1 to scroll to the other ballparks. You can choose from spring training, minor league, major league, or historic.
This is a lifesaver; I'm in ST now and this is going to be great. Thank you.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:05 PM   #30
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
This is a lifesaver; I'm in ST now and this is going to be great. Thank you.
You're welcome.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:45 AM   #31
MVP

forme95's Arena

Quote:
Thats great! I never knew we could do that D'oh!! Thanks Countryboy

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2016, 07:14 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
I have long thought guys have hidden career arcs. Maybe when the Franchise is started and with each draft. Like, have you noticed how some guys add tons of points to multiple traits really fast and reach 80's or even 90's within a couple years? And other guys languish in the minors without much growth in traits? I've also seen guys massively underperform their traits over entire seasons and seen guys lose skills even in their 20's too.
Yep. In one franchise, Gary Sanchez was sliding down while having a terrible year. Sent him to AAA. Now he's picking back up a little in the early going.

Gallo is the other extreme. He's shot up to 99 Potential and got like a dozen points added to his power vs RHP and a tad less to his contact vs RHP. He's picking up with it again in the next season. It's crazy, I'm scared of him lol. Meanwhile, Sano, who was in the running for the Triple Crown into late September (thanks a lot Mike Trout, who told you to hit over 20 HR in September? Trout pls) didn't get the same treatment. Poor Sano lol.

BTW, Paco seems to have pulled it together...but he's been demoted from closer. Red Sox (he was dumped from the team I traded him to, apparently) didn't even try him at closer. He's setup. At least he's back to decent.

Quote:
Anyway, I don't know how the game does this all in the background or if its all just random numbers ... but it does feel more organic than, say, Madden, where all this user controlled XP upping let's you just power up everyone how you want.

Ugh, don't remind me of that. Had to come up with a development system that took into account production and what I saw "on tape" (i.e. during the games) as well as the possibility for off-field issues.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »