Home

Player Quirks

This is a discussion on Player Quirks within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #9
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Player Quirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Not directly, but I believe they said some are tied to directly to attributes? So then, those can probably be edited by changing a player's ratings.

Which ones those are specifically, I don't know.
Attribute based ones are given/taken away with a ratings threshold dynamically. Situational ones are not dynamic.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 03-10-2017, 03:49 PM   #10
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

OVR: 0

Personally, I think ti would have made more sense to separate the two types as the ones telling you they have a high attribute just confuse things a bit imo. Especially when you view them in game, the ones that don't effect the attributes will probably just clutter things for me until I really get the hang of them and it's easy enough to see the players attributes anyway.

Definitely something interesting though and something will real scope for development in the future. Looking forward to playing cat and mouse with people over whether to pitch to their weakness or try and double bluff them and throw to their strengths
Old 03-10-2017, 03:53 PM   #11
Did I do that???

mrCPUgeek's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
That is what I got as well. Not 100% on this, but I do not believe they will be editable.

That may be something they go over in the RTTS stream. They said they would go over CAP players if I remember correctly. I could see a place to add/remove those in a tab like the attributes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2017, 03:55 PM   #12
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
1 - Attribute Quirks update as soon as the rating hits.

2 - I believe the situational quirks are from 2016. Not 100% on that either, but on the stream they mentioned 2016 (although it could have been a misspeak on their part)

3 - Split based quirks are not dynamic, so they would have to be programmed and changed in a roster update by SIE.
Right, I got that part. I was just curious as to what their thresholds are for their baseline pre-programming of quirks. Is it a batting average 30 points higher that gets the quirk? 50 points higher? 1 point higher?

For example, Mike Trout batted .330 last year at home and .301 on the road...is that 29-point split a wide enough split to earn him a "homebody" quirk?

Also, basically zero MLB hitters perform better with 2 strikes, so how good is good enough for someone to get the 2-strike quirk like I believe Justin Turner had?
Old 03-10-2017, 03:55 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
1 - Attribute Quirks update as soon as the rating hits.

2 - I believe the situational quirks are from 2016. Not 100% on that either, but on the stream they mentioned 2016 (although it could have been a misspeak on their part)

3 - Split based quirks are not dynamic, so they would have to be programmed and changed in a roster update by SIE.
Looking at Justin Turner's career splits vs 2016, I'm pretty sure the quirks they showed were strictly from 2016. For his career, he's been about even home/away and actually a worse hitter in the 9th inning on. In 2016, he excelled in both. Would be nice if the quirks were more in line with career accomplishments.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:55 PM   #14
MVP

baseballsim's Arena

OVR: 6

I think this question was brought up in the stream but I didn't really catch the answer. Will this feature also be in other modes like Diamond Dynasty and RTTS?
Old 03-10-2017, 03:56 PM   #15
Rookie

jgb3's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
Right, I got that part. I was just curious as to what their thresholds are for their baseline pre-programming of quirks. Is it a batting average 30 points higher that gets the quirk? 50 points higher? 1 point higher?

For example, Mike Trout batted .330 last year at home and .301 on the road...is that a wide enough split to earn him a "homebody" quirk?

Also, basically zero MLB hitters perform better with 2 strikes, so how good is good enough for someone to get the 2-strike quirk like I believe Justin Turner had?

Could be based on percentiles? I.e. The top 10% of qualified players with that split get the quirk.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2017, 03:59 PM   #16
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb3
Big question: do SITUATIONAL quirks effect overall rating? If they do not, that is definitely an arbitrage opportunity for guys with similar ratings.

For example, let's say I have an 82 overall closer without the "fighter" quirk. Let's assume the fighter quirk delivers a 5% attribute boost across the board in the 9th inning. Now, let's say I have an 79 overall closer with fighter.

Guess what? I'm going with the 79 overall guy. And if this logic isn't engrained in the CPU, I'll be able to screw the CPU in trades.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Good point. The 79 w/quirk vs 82 w/o quirk dilemma is precisely why they wanted to add this layer in, imo. It's also why a lot of us are interested in it.

As for the bolded part, I mean that ability has been there for quite some time, lol. One of the most visited threads in this forum every year is a trade discussion thread that allows people to temper their ability to make ripoff trades.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »