Home

MLB The Show 17 Teach Me/Strategies Thread

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 17 Teach Me/Strategies Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-04-2017, 04:21 PM   #57
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 17 Teach Me/Strategies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datninja619
What is the key to successfully using the zone batting method?

Completely new to the the baseball games, but I felt this method made the most sense to me after the intro tutorial. I'm using zone with buttons and couldn't find any youtube videos to help.

I can make solid contact with my RTTS player, but the ball either goes directly to a player with a pop fly or line drive. Does the ball need to be in the center of the zone for the best contact or anywhere in the zone?

Also, what's the pro vs cons for contact, power, and normal swing?

I don't even know how to ask my questions haha.
All of this is my opinion, I can't prove it, but I'm pretty good and have years of experience with this setting. So, if the ball is centered between top and bottom of the zone, it will give you a line drive trajectory. If you want to try to a home run or a sacrifice fly, you're better served to try to place the ball toward the top of the zone, because you'll get more air under it. If you're trying to advance a runner with a ground ball, you want to try to place the zone on, but shifted slightly above the ball so that the ball is hit toward the bottom of the zone.

Left to right, you generally want it to be centered. If your zone is inside the ball, so for a lefty, you have the zone more to the right and the ball appears on the left side of the zone, you're moving toward slicing the ball into left field. And vice versa. If the ball is inside and your zone is more outside, you are going to pop the ball up more often or pull it foul. In both instances, you're more likely to foul the ball off as opposed to having a centered ball.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:31 PM   #58
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxSWAG SURFINlx
All of this is my opinion, I can't prove it, but I'm pretty good and have years of experience with this setting. So, if the ball is centered between top and bottom of the zone, it will give you a line drive trajectory. If you want to try to a home run or a sacrifice fly, you're better served to try to place the ball toward the top of the zone, because you'll get more air under it. If you're trying to advance a runner with a ground ball, you want to try to place the zone on, but shifted slightly above the ball so that the ball is hit toward the bottom of the zone.

Left to right, you generally want it to be centered. If your zone is inside the ball, so for a lefty, you have the zone more to the right and the ball appears on the left side of the zone, you're moving toward slicing the ball into left field. And vice versa. If the ball is inside and your zone is more outside, you are going to pop the ball up more often or pull it foul. In both instances, you're more likely to foul the ball off as opposed to having a centered ball.
Hmm. You explaining this makes sense. Now that I think about it, those are the constant outcomes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-04-2017, 06:07 PM   #59
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datninja619
Hmm. You explaining this makes sense. Now that I think about it, those are the constant outcomes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Operation Sports mobile app
Good. I would add that imo you're wasting your time trying to use inside/outside. Use your swing timing to influence direction and try to center it rather than trying to use the zone to influence direction.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:41 PM   #60
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodamEscapePlan
If someone pull explain the finer nuances to directional hitting. Im completely lost. Does the reticle move? (The one that shows after the pitch with the swing info)
In directional, where the reticle moves is based on the batter's vision. The player holding the controller does not move it.

HOWEVER, using directional WILL effect where your ideal pitch locations are. Pull hitting will bring ideal pitch location slightly to the inside. Push will push it slightly outside.

Influencing up will bring your ideal pitches slightly down (and can be good if the opposing pitcher has a good sinking pitch that you're struggling to hit)

Influencing down raises your vision and widens your ideal pitches in all directions, but has the biggest impact on power.

So your batter's vision CAN catch pitches outside your ideal pitch location, but the closer to the ideal pitch location for your influence the pitch is, the more likely you are to get solid contact.

Also keep in mind that a fastball down the middle is ideal for ALL influences.

Last edited by TheWarmWind; 04-04-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:59 AM   #61
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHarvin1
Thanks for your response, Trojan Man. I think you're right -- I' m going to switch to DD and try to get the hang of hitting from there. I probably should have done that from the beginning, but I tried to get cute with the sliders, lol. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Thanks again for your response.
Trust me, it's where you are looking. You have to focus in on an area to get to learning how to read the pitches. I focus high in the zone, near the pitcher's release point and it helps me "read" the pitch.

I suggest using DD, lowering the pitch speed, and using batting practice to get used to it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2017, 10:27 AM   #62
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
In directional, where the reticle moves is based on the batter's vision. The player holding the controller does not move it.

HOWEVER, using directional WILL effect where your ideal pitch locations are. Pull hitting will bring ideal pitch location slightly to the inside. Push will push it slightly outside.

Influencing up will bring your ideal pitches slightly down (and can be good if the opposing pitcher has a good sinking pitch that you're struggling to hit)

Influencing down raises your vision and widens your ideal pitches in all directions, but has the biggest impact on power.

So your batter's vision CAN catch pitches outside your ideal pitch location, but the closer to the ideal pitch location for your influence the pitch is, the more likely you are to get solid contact.

Also keep in mind that a fastball down the middle is ideal for ALL influences.
Great explanation, i believe i understood all you wrote, except the underlined parts. That really messed me up...

Can you please elaborate a bit on those two underlined sentences?

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2017, 12:40 PM   #63
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunogomes
Great explanation, i believe i understood all you wrote, except the underlined parts. That really messed me up...

Can you please elaborate a bit on those two underlined sentences?

Thanks!
Sure! Directional hitting isn't like Hitting with the PCI. Your batter is trying to influence the ball to travel in the direction you pick.

When you influence up, your batter is looking to get UNDER the ball in order to hit it up into the air. Therefore, your ideal ball location is going to drop a bit. This is also why it's a great swing to use against a sinking pitch. Trying to get under the ball (just as you would when trying to hit a flyball) can help your batter adjust to that nasty splitter. This type of swing can also generate more power.

However, since your purposefully trying to get under the ball to hit it up, this can mess up the batters vision, and create more pop flys, especially on high pitches.

When you influence down, your batter is basically ignoring power and just looking to drive at the ball and get solid contact. It pretty much guarantees you won't hit a home run (I never have at least) but since this type of swing is JUST about getting the ball in play it can work well with leadoff type hitters and hitters with speed.

Since your only looking to get solid contact, it's also easier to check, and works really well in a situation where you still want to pull but are more concerned about putting the ball in play then any sort of power, like when you want to just advance a runner for example.

It's also a good swing for working the count, but be aware that it will produce more solid contact and therefore more balls in play. When trying to foul off and work the count back, I usually use a push swing for my power hitters, so I can see the ball a little longer and have more leeway to foul off late as opposed to hitting into play and risking an easy out.

Generally, you only want to use downward influence with speedy batters or when you're trying to do some situational hitting.

I talked about some of this earlier in the thread, so refer to that if you want more info. Something I didn't mention earlier though: Your influence will effect how easy it is to check swing (along with swing type). Pull and Up influences are harder, while Push and Down influences are easier.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:47 PM   #64
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
Sure! Directional hitting isn't like Hitting with the PCI. Your batter is trying to influence the ball to travel in the direction you pick.

When you influence up, your batter is looking to get UNDER the ball in order to hit it up into the air. Therefore, your ideal ball location is going to drop a bit. This is also why it's a great swing to use against a sinking pitch. Trying to get under the ball (just as you would when trying to hit a flyball) can help your batter adjust to that nasty splitter. This type of swing can also generate more power.

However, since your purposefully trying to get under the ball to hit it up, this can mess up the batters vision, and create more pop flys, especially on high pitches.

When you influence down, your batter is basically ignoring power and just looking to drive at the ball and get solid contact. It pretty much guarantees you won't hit a home run (I never have at least) but since this type of swing is JUST about getting the ball in play it can work well with leadoff type hitters and hitters with speed.

Since your only looking to get solid contact, it's also easier to check, and works really well in a situation where you still want to pull but are more concerned about putting the ball in play then any sort of power, like when you want to just advance a runner for example.

It's also a good swing for working the count, but be aware that it will produce more solid contact and therefore more balls in play. When trying to foul off and work the count back, I usually use a push swing for my power hitters, so I can see the ball a little longer and have more leeway to foul off late as opposed to hitting into play and risking an easy out.

Generally, you only want to use downward influence with speedy batters or when you're trying to do some situational hitting.

I talked about some of this earlier in the thread, so refer to that if you want more info. Something I didn't mention earlier though: Your influence will effect how easy it is to check swing (along with swing type). Pull and Up influences are harder, while Push and Down influences are easier.
Oh, i got it perfectly now! Amazing explanation!

Thanks!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »